Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Silver Quarter
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I read about the loop, what's the East Coast<->West Coast, "The U" ???

So, am a forum newbie so have to ask a newbie question:

Does anyone travel from the East Coast to the West Coast (or vice versa?)

kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
By truck or Panama Canal. Not too many..

KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Even less by the Northwest Passage.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Flying is the best way.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Silver Quarter
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
By truck or Panama Canal. Not too many..
Well by truck doesn't sound very fun. Wonder what the major impediments are of the canal route, have met a few cruisers / sailers in the Caribbean side countries who seem to be having a good time
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
A bunch of Nordhavns do it every year.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Ice pack was small again...Northwest Passage isn't too bad if you like a lot of ice in your cocktails.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
There's a great book, Cruising the Big U. We're doing it I guess much like we are doing the Loop, just not in one run. We came down and through the Panama Canal and have gone up the East Coast as far as Boston. So we still have a way to go up the East Coast. One day we'll cruise back to the west coast. We also short cut one part, we'll cruise sometime later. We cut across from Cancun to Key West so haven't cruised the coastline from Cancun to Corpus Christi.

It's much different than the Great Loop. On the Loop, you never are far from a port, no exceptionally long runs required. Rough seas can be avoided more easily. On the U, the first challenge is Cape Flattery to San Francisco. Then you have some long stretches once you hit Mexico and all the way around through Central America, through the Canal and until you're back in the US. Great Loop is two countries. Big U is as many as ten countries. I think the Big U is still one of those great trips even if only once in your lifetime. The problem is that, unlike the Loop, you then have to do a reverse U to get home, or ship the boat.

The Big U is considerably longer and significantly more expensive trip as you pay to enter many countries, pay to use the canal, and have the cost of a greater distance.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
A good friend of mine, Adrian Salzer, wrote the book "Cruising the Great U". His premise was that there are plenty of areas to cruise in the Americas as an achievable goal vice forever dream of the Pacific Puddle Jump or do a transatlantic crossing.

3 year trip, from Seattle to Glaicer Bay (shakedown), then Seattle to Southern California, on to Mexico, thru the Canal, then the Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, the Keys, and up the Atlantic Seaboard to Maine.

All coastal cruising on a Selene.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
A good friend of mine, Adrian Salzer, wrote the book "Cruising the Great U". His premise was that there are plenty of areas to cruise in the Americas as an achievable goal vice forever dream of the Pacific Puddle Jump or do a transatlantic crossing.
We loved the book. To me, if you've done the Loop and you're dreaming of greater cruising and cruising full time, but crossing the Atlantic or Pacific are just out of the range of things you want to do then the U is great. The name of the book is actually "Cruising the Big U". Oh, there is also a Big U Cruising Association with a one time $68 membership. I don't think it is active now though nor is his website.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #11
Guru

Another Selene also made the trip. Their account is on the Selene site.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:28 PM   #12

City: London, ON
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Even less by the Northwest Passage.

Ted
It's easier now than it's ever been. A cruise ship with 1600 passengers went through this summer. Trawlers won't be too far behind...
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
It's easier now than it's ever been. A cruise ship with 1600 passengers went through this summer. Trawlers won't be too far behind...
One already when through in about 2009. It was Bagan, a Nordhavn 57, owned by Sprague Theobald. He made a documentary film of the trip called "The other side of the ice". It's a little more about crew drama than I'd care for, but interesting none the less. Lots of good lessons, like if you want to reunite your fractured family, don't use the Northwest Passage to do it....
Old 09-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
One already when through in about 2009. It was Bagan, a Nordhavn 57, owned by Sprague Theobald. He made a documentary film of the trip called "The other side of the ice". It's a little more about crew drama than I'd care for, but interesting none the less. Lots of good lessons, like if you want to reunite your fractured family, don't use the Northwest Passage to do it....
I was reading a similar comment about the Big U yesterday. It basically said if your relationship was shaky, this wasn't for you, as you'd quickly destroy it. However, the writer was talking about it making her and her husband's relationship stronger than ever.

I think cruising in general is largely like that. It's not going to fix dysfunctional families or couples.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I was reading a similar comment about the Big U yesterday. It basically said if your relationship was shaky, this wasn't for you, as you'd quickly destroy it. However, the writer was talking about it making her and her husband's relationship stronger than ever.

I think cruising in general is largely like that. It's not going to fix dysfunctional families or couples.
Boats can indeed be a test of a relationship.

In Sprague's case, it did bring his kids and him together, so that was a good outcome. But it created a bit of a mess along the way on a trip where you would want to minimize that. Actually looking back on it, I think it was really once person who was the problem, and he wasn't family. So I guess it's more a lesson in making sure you have a harmonious crew before embarking on a dangerous voyage.

The final blow up and ejection of the problem crew (the captain) was in the original cut of the movie. I bought a copy from iTunes right when it came out). But at last year's Trawlerfest in Anacortes there was a showing of the movie, and that whole section had been cut and replaced with a title screen saying "Clinton left the project on blah blah blah date". I guess it was a bit too much dirty laundry.

Anyway, if you are into remote voyaging, I definitely recommend it.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The final blow up and ejection of the problem crew (the captain) was in the original cut of the movie. I bought a copy from iTunes right when it came out). But at last year's Trawlerfest in Anacortes there was a showing of the movie, and that whole section had been cut and replaced with a title screen saying "Clinton left the project on blah blah blah date". I guess it was a bit too much dirty laundry.

Anyway, if you are into remote voyaging, I definitely recommend it.
But Television and Movies depend on the conflict. It's much like the show "Below Deck". They must have a deck hand who is impossible plus some other conflict.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
But Television and Movies depend on the conflict. It's much like the show "Below Deck". They must have a deck hand who is impossible plus some other conflict.
So true, but I think/though Sprague's "documentary" tried to rise above that. Have you seen it? It's definitely worth a view.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #18
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
another book about a guy / group that made the E to W via the Lewis & Clark route... interesting.

River Horse by the author of Blue Highways
Attached Images

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #19
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
Well by truck doesn't sound very fun. ........
A friend of mine took his boat from the US east coast to Alaska and back. He trailered it and slept and cooked in it along the way. Being of the fiscally tight persuasion, he spent most nights in Wal-Mart parking lots along the way.

He said it was fun.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post

3 year trip, from Seattle to Glaicer Bay (shakedown), then Seattle to Southern California, on to Mexico, thru the Canal, then the Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, the Keys, and up the Atlantic Seaboard to Maine.

All coastal cruising on a Selene.
Which again illustrates that with a well found vessel and fuel range of 1000 miles or so many boats can truly venture forth. One need not have 2500 miles of fuel capacity to enjoy the Americas.

BTW Peter, it was nice meeting you at Shilshole.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote