Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 11:41 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Interesting Thread. There may be another option in the younger members lifetime which would be the proposed canal through Nicaragua. This route has been discussed for years, actually before the Panama Canal location was selected. Lake Managua into and through the Southern Autonomous Region then out somewhere near Bluefields. A Chinese Corp. has been looking at construction, surveys, agreements, etc.. complete funding is, as always a problem. I visited the area and the S.A.R. (Southern Autonomus Region) is what I would have imagined Louisiana to have been 200 years ago.
I would love to see it, but not holding my breath. Nicaragua was one of the most amazing surprises and so sad. The staff at the marina and resort were absolutely fantastic. However, the levels of poverty there were very sad. I'd just hope that if it was built, somehow it would benefit the people of Nicaragua and not all the benefit go to the Chinese Corporation and the wealthy in Nicaragua. Normally the resort driver would only take you through the best areas but we asked him to show us how the people in the area were living. Those working at the resort were the lucky ones but they were taking care of many others.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #42
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
B and B : I have been going down there for many years for a month or so at a time and drilling water wells, and installing water distribution systems for outlying villages. Mostly in the N.W. area of the country, Chinindega. Two years ago I decided to stay awhile and visit the East Coast. They were building the first road linking West to East although it was a long way from being finished. Yes, Nic. has its own problems but some very good people.
Karawala yacht basin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0146.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	56698  

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
B and B : I have been going down there for many years for a month or so at a time and drilling water wells, and installing water distribution systems for outlying villages. Mostly in the N.W. area of the country, Chinindega. Two years ago I decided to stay awhile and visit the East Coast. They were building the first road linking West to East although it was a long way from being finished. Yes, Nic. has its own problems but some very good people.
Karawala yacht basin
We were in Chinendega at Puesta del Sol.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #44
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Yes, just above Port of Corinto and El Realajo. I have a good friend that is in El Realajo and that is where I usually stay when I go down to work on water systems.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #45
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
.......... You can often get buy with lots less than what others think you need or want.
Yes you can and the same applies to your life on land. Some folks live in million dollar mansions while others live in a refrigerator box under the freeway.

I could cruise for considerably less money than I currently spend but I don't want to. My goal is to enjoy myself, not just to say I have done this or done that.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #46
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
While I would really enjoy and extended cruise such as the U, there is no way that I could afford the time until I retire. My guess is that by the time I can retire, my wife and I won't want to be that far away from hoped for grand kids for that long a period.

I can live vicariously through the stories of others, so y'all get out there!

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
While I would really enjoy and extended cruise such as the U, there is no way that I could afford the time until I retire. My guess is that by the time I can retire, my wife and I won't want to be that far away from hoped for grand kids for that long a period.

I can live vicariously through the stories of others, so y'all get out there!
We could not do it full time and be away from family and friends. We take regular breaks and fly home. Typical pattern is 6 wks cruise 3 wks home but any combination would work.

One other thing about grand kids. Webcam. Skype. They love it and you'll love it. You can see more of them than you would otherwise plus plan what you're going to do when you take a break. We have a niece who is now just over 2 years old. We've skyped with her since she was just over a week old. We spent a week with her and her parents at her birth and then a day later we skyped with her. Seems silly with an infant, but it was keeping us in her mind and it wasn't too long before she understood what was going to happen when her mom set her up in front of the monitor. It opens up a whole new world. We do it with our family and friends at home when we're on a boat. Phone, you get to hear the voice, buy webcam you see.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Manotick, Ontario
Vessel Name: The Emerald
Vessel Model: Silverton 31C
I once did a delivery from Aruba to Acapulco via the Panama Canal of a 61' Hatteras. I had a fabulous time, full of adventures with dozens of stories to tell those that will listen. Machine guns, banditos de Pablo Escobar, Kuna Indians in the Cocos Islands, partying on James Gagneys yacht, shooting pool with the Costa Rican coast guard in a tiny inlet (Golfito), fuel stops in El Salvador during the civil war, transiting Nicaragua while the US embargo was on against the Sandinistas and getting scannned by a US sub at night... and on and on... adventure and lots of fun! Highly recommended for those who want to travel off the beaten path.

In the Canal:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2733.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	56772
windled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:47 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windled View Post
I once did a delivery from Aruba to Acapulco via the Panama Canal of a 61' Hatteras. I had a fabulous time, full of adventures with dozens of stories to tell those that will listen. Machine guns, banditos de Pablo Escobar, Kuna Indians in the Cocos Islands, partying on James Gagneys yacht, shooting pool with the Costa Rican coast guard in a tiny inlet (Golfito), fuel stops in El Salvador during the civil war, transiting Nicaragua while the US embargo was on against the Sandinistas and getting scannned by a US sub at night... and on and on... adventure and lots of fun! Highly recommended for those who want to travel off the beaten path.

In the Canal:
Attachment 56772
We didn't experience quite the excitement you did. To us, one of the joys of cruising is seeing places for the first time. I'm sure most here traveled more than we did before our cruising days. I traveled some on business but flying into a city, spending a day in meetings, and flying out doesn't give you anything. From the time we left Washington until we landed in Key West, there was no city either of us had been to before. With the loop, from the time we left NYC until arriving in Chicago there was no place we'd ever been to, except for a flight I was on that got diverted to Buffalo and I then flew right back out and a trip through the Detroit airport. Chicago I'd been to but not as a tourist. From Chicago to Lake Pickwick will be all new.

However, it doesn't have to be long trips to see new places. There are still areas of Florida's coast I haven't fully explored. I lived most of my life in NC but still great cruising towns I haven't spent the time in I want to. The Bahamas, hundreds of islands still to go. Sometimes the most pleasant surprises are in the least expected places. We never thought we'd love Apalachicola, just liked the name and the song with it in it. Even those places you've been there's always something to see for the first time. We're still learning of new places to see in South Florida and events to go to. Another great part of cruising when you just happen to hit at the right time for a really fun local event.