I need a boat name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the world of "real" boats/ships as opposed to "toy" boats, the home port is often for convenience/lowest cost, not necessarily where the vessels operate from or where the company is headquartered.

If a boat moves from one location for another, it can get expensive repainting the home port, and there can be documentation fees.

My boat is named using "Coot", the builder's model name, and "Carquinez" for the local waters I most frequently sail. Sometimes wonder if people think the name refers to me rather than the boat.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Carquinez_Strait

img_139366_0_ecfdc3f80406d3ab19b50dec6ff5130c.jpg

Last edited:
I saw one that I thought was funny, but very difficult to say 3 times:
"Cirrhosis of the River"

Generally I would pick the name of a favorite song that has deep meaning to you or a time of your life. Our is "Dreamers Holiday". Also, since a favorite old movie of ours is High Society and Bing Crosby owned the "True Love" I would go with that.

Good Friends of ours will always put off until tomorrow what can be done today named their boat "Procrastinator" and the last several letters are just outlined, not painted in.

John

Greetings,
Mr. Mark. "refers to me rather than the boat." Ummm...naw, too easy. Mr. alormaria. Interesting statement re: female monikers. I know of many vessels both recreational and commercial with a female name but for the life of me I can't think of any military vessel named for a female. Googled several different websites-no female names. I wonder if there's a protocol for naming warships? Now Angelina? your MIL or your daughter? I can't remember...
Mr. 55. How about Aye-aye (Small mammal found in Madagascar that eats termites)? Well, you DO have a wooden boat don't you? Aye-aye could be a talisman, of sorts, for protection AND don't discount the nautical meaning....Kinda euphoric when you let the mind wander isn't it?

:dance:

One thing I do know about boating is that we are a friendly group that is not afraid of helping others......

Sea-Duction I totally agree. I think that is so because the majority of us realize how blessed we really are, which gives us compunction and compassion toward assisting our fellow mariners... when need be.

One for all and all for one... so to say! :pirate::speed boat: :thumb:

My boat is named using "Coot", Sometimes wonder if people think the name refers to me rather than the boat.

OMG Mark - It isn't referring to you... and all this time I've been thinking.... :facepalm:

Only joshing - - > You're still to young to be an "_ _ d Coot!! Sail on!! :dance:

Oh oh I,ve been caught again. Of course I'm dumb enough to show pics on another post displaying my stern w/o a name while posting criticism about others names when they actually have a name and my stern is naked. Well much painting of Willy will take place this spring and early summer and Willy's name and home port will be proudly on the stern (if not elsewhere). We need to paint the stern first though. And I promise you her berthing port will be there. LaConner ... unless something very unforeseen happens.

Le Poulet de la Mer

Last edited:
Yachta Yachta Yachta

/QUOTE]
Was just docked next to Yachta Yachta (40' Mainship cruiser for sale) at Isle of Palms Marina near charleston, SC :D

Gotta be the only one on the water....:rofl:

Oh oh I,ve been caught again. Of course I'm dumb enough to show pics on another post displaying my stern w/o a name while posting criticism about others names when they actually have a name and my stern is naked. Well much painting of Willy will take place this spring and early summer and Willy's name and home port will be proudly on the stern (if not elsewhere). We need to paint the stern first though. And I promise you her berthing port will be there. LaConner ... unless something very unforeseen happens.

It's about time!

Just messin' with you, Eric!! ;):rolleyes::thumb:

Greetings,
Mr. alormaria. Interesting statement re: female monikers. I know of many vessels both recreational and commercial with a female name but for the life of me I can't think of any military vessel named for a female. Googled several different websites-no female names. I wonder if there's a protocol for naming warships? Now Angelina? your MIL or your daughter? I can't remember...

Warships? Enterprise, Independence, Intrepid.....
and from fiction, Indefatigable and Surprise.

"Angelina" is named after my wife's grand mother. So was my previous boat, "Gemma".

Our next boat will be named "Millie M" so she will have to be somewhat salty. Why Millie M? My mother's name is Mildred Mary and my MIL is Carmella Marie.

The brownie points are priceless.

Warships? Enterprise, Independence, Intrepid.....
and from fiction, Indefatigable and Surprise.

Not from fiction. The HMS Indefatigable was a battle cruiser launched in 1909. There have been 13 ships named HMS Surprise in the Royal Navy including a destroyer in WWI. The photo below is of the Indefatigable.

image-2608180180.jpg

There's a system for US warships. Battleships are always the name of states ect ect ect

There's a system for US warships. Battleships are always the name of states ect ect ect

Subs used to be named for fish. Now the Boomers are named for states, and the attack subs are named for cities. I think the association helps to get funding for the building.

John Adams did the first Navy "pork" when the 6 frigates were parceled out to 6 different cities for building. It garnered much support for them. They would have probably never been built without it. We would have lost the War of 1812 without them.

OP is quiet. Probably mystified. How do you make a good suggestion knowing so little of the boat,the owners,location, etc.
Boat brands can suggest names, puns abound. Hood sailboats were named Hoodwinked, Sisterhood, Hoodlum etc. Top Hat sailboats were called And Tails,White Tie,etc. An offshore racing sailboat was called Secret Mens Business after a female aboriginal group said tribal law forbade building a certain bridge, but refused details, as it was "secret women`s business". Bridge got built,turned out they were right.We toyed with renaming Doriana "Gypsy Queen" after explaining to Marine Rescue (like CG) "It`s Oriana (famous P&O liner) with a "D" shoved in front". Then I learnt the alphabet.
So OP, how are we doing, any clues to help the focus? Is it a blank page or do you have ideas people can ridicule.

There's a system for US warships. Battleships are always the name of states..
We had the magnificent Missouri (Big Mo) visit, I think in 1988. A photo of her,firing guns on one side, was a sheet of flame with ship just seen behind.

My dad named every one of his boats "SPITFIRE" (all in caps)... cause he flew RCAF Spits in photo-recon to pinpoint bombing target locations, for couple years before Pearl Harbor. He then flew for the U.S. Navy when we joined the war. As a young kid I used to help him hand carve the teak transom name plates and pour gold leaf into the letters. Then we’d place layer after layer of varnish on them till they looked like a mirror! :D

A guy at a marina I was at named his boat "JOHN".

When he was boating the office secretary would tell folks he was on the John , and would return his call,

There is an old tradition that is it bad luck to change a boat's name. I don't thing many believe that these days, but I don't believe in changing it for the sake of it, so if the name is ok, I leave them alone. However, our first boat, a red hulled, white topped 20' trailer yacht, had been recently repainted when we bought it, and it had changed hands quickly with the owner we bought it off having had it only briefly, but had not liked the original name, and not renamed it after painting it, and he had forgotten what it was before he painted it.
My boys were about 10 and 12, and that was 1978, so no real surprise she became Princess Leia. It suited her, and when I later learned she was originally Bryllyg, I was not sorry we had renamed her, because although I could have lived with Bryllyg, everybody would be asking,"where did that come from."
Actually, who can volunteer where it did come from? If you have to Google it don't say, ok. Some folks might know this...

Our next boat was a maxi trailer-yacht, and the personal craft, owned by the manufacturer, which he used as a demo vessel, so it was immaculately fitted out, with all the good gear, but he also loved to race - and win - so he liked intimidating names - literally, so she was called Black Widow. We kept it, but my wife was never in love with the name but I quite liked it, as she looked like she was going fast even sitting on the trailer, so it sort of suited her. His previous yachts had been called, Intimidator, The Wasp, Scorpion, then after ours, Black Adder, and Tarantula...get the drift. The Wasp was rather snappy as it was painted in 1 foot wide stripes longitudinally right round the body in alternating yellow and dark green stripes just like a wasp, and looked terrific - the other names...well...they said something I guess.
Our first diesel cruiser was Julie Robyn, so we kept that name, but only owned her 3 years. Then came Lotus. We like it, and it is easy to repeat, needs no explanations, and is not embarrassing. I tend to agree with what others have said re how it sounds repeated 3 times hailing someone - that's the acid test...of course if it is snappy and says something as well...makes some sort of statement as well, then all the better. But there always needs to be that guiding principle, what does it sound like to others repeated over the air..? As one other thread said, "what's in a name?" - quite a lot really...

Last edited:
A guy at a marina I was at named his boat "JOHN".

When he was boating the office secretary would tell folks he was on the John , and would return his call,

Or name it "The Office".

My fav is "She Wanted It".

My dad named every one of his boats "SPITFIRE" (all in caps)... cause he flew RCAF Spits in photo-recon to pinpoint bombing target locations, for couple years before Pearl Harbor. He then flew for the U.S. Navy when we joined the war. As a young kid I used to help him hand carve the teak transom name plates and pour gold leaf into the letters. Then we’d place layer after layer of varnish on them till they looked like a mirror! :D

Art, are you absolutely, positively sure that those boats were not named for some lady?:D:facepalm::hide::speed boat:

There is an old tradition that is it bad luck to change a boat's name. I don't thing many believe that these days, but I don't believe in changing it for the sake of it, so if the name is ok, I leave them alone.

I am one that doesn't believe in these traditions or in bad luck. To me, it's a hunk of wood and fiberglass. There is no magic to it. However, when you buy a boat whose name is 'Southern Comfort' you tend to want to change it :whistling:

:rofl::rofl::D:D

Back
Top Bottom