Old 08-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
I must go down to the seas again

If you're like me and love the John Masefield poem, I've got just the book for you! It's on Gutenberg (free!) and has lots of his other sea ballads. I'm enjoying it now.

For your copy go to this page:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52761

I love Gutenberg and have downloaded dozens of my old favorites. Plus they have lots of the old sci-fi magazines if that's your thing. Anyway, I am in no way responsible for the enormous amount of time you will spend reading for free books.

It's the best thing ever. Before my Kindle I ran out of books while at anchor... Now that will never happen. Amazon has free ebooks too.

If you just want to read the Masefield poem I have it on my website. It's the *Easter Egg on every page. Click any ship's compass and it will take you to this page:

Janice142 - Sea Fever by John Masefield

*Easter Egg: something hidden in plain sight. Behind every is a link to Sea Fever.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Janice, I see that they offer that book in Kindle format, but don't see how to download it directly to a Kindle.

Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #3
Guru

Hi Mike.

You'd first copy the title and author... Salt-Water Ballads by John Masefield
Next, right click link you want Kindle (with images) and select "save link as"

Then paste in your title/author when your computer asks for it.
Otherwise you'll save a file with the number Gutenberg gives the book.

Then email it to your Kindle. Even if you do not change the title, Kindle will pop in the correct title by magic if memory serves me. I just keep them by title so I can share with friends.

Good luck. (and if you don't get it I can email you the file with ease)
Old 08-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky, And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by, And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and ..."

I`m thinking of an updated version, especially regarding steering, by adding in after "star" "GPS, electronic charts, auto route selection, AIS,radar, sonar, Loran,autopilot...."
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #5

City: Port, Macedon NY
Vessel Name: Patience
Vessel Model: Maple Bay 27'
Love Gutenberg. Read a lot from them...what's neat is more works become public domain everyday, so there's always more coming up. Love the old sci-fi.
Also remember the public libraries now offer tons of new ebooks and audio books ( via Overdrive and other formats). Nothing better than listening to a good book on board.
Aquafarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:58 AM   #6
Guru

Me too aquafarm. I'm there at least once a month. It keeps me busy. When my website posting gets behind (like now!) it means I'm into a boatload of books and having a wonderful time.

I cannot imagine life aboard Seaweed without my Kindle. The computer and internet are fun. The Kindle is essential. I am literally never without it.

My friend Janet passed her old one along to me when my original broke. Later I got a newer Kindle and passed Janet's on to my daughter. Kidlet now is as addicted as I am! She had an original Nook and Janet's was much lighter.

I'm not sure if Kidlet carries the Kindle with her like I do, but I do know she reads it. I am pleased.

The last sci-fi I read was 10 Lost Vintage Sci-Fi Short-Story Masterpieces by Chet Dembeck. It's pretty good. I've read a ton of the Astounding Stories (magazines found on Gutenberg and Amazon as well)

I read the Tom Corbet Space Cadet series too. Those are fun. They have moving walkways (conveyors) and five foot view screens (television!) ... stuff like that tickles me.

A lot of the old "boys" adventure books are fun too.