I knew about the oil placard...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wasn't really aware of the requirement until I got last sailboat. It was the first boat that was over 12m. So maybe folks learn what they need to know for the boat they own?

I wasn't really aware of the requirement until I got last sailboat. It was the first boat that was over 12m. So maybe folks learn what they need to know for the boat they own?

Folks, there are rules in there for boats much smaller than 12m... on down to rowboats. CG carry requirement or not, it is fundamental seamanship that is the issue here.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can work out, having a copy on board is only a requirement for American boats.

Not required here in Canada.
Nor are the silly placards proclaiming common sense.

Folks, there are rules in there for boats much smaller than 12m... on down to rowboats. CG carry requirement or not, it is fundamental seamanship that is the issue here.
I hope you didn't think I meant that the rules were not important and that having a copy of the rules isn't a good idea. I was simply pointing out that I was able unaware of the rules that didn't apply to me at the time.

I know there are probably lots and f rules that could apply to me that I am ignorant of or have simply forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you didn't think I meant that the rules were not important and that having a copy of the rules isn't a good idea. I was simply pointing out that I was able unaware of the rules that didn't apply to me at the time.

I know there are probably lots and f rules that could apply to me that I am ignorant of or have simply forgotten.

Wifey B: Nor when I say we never use the printed copy do I mean we don't use the rules or have access to them. They're available on every tablet we have on board in addition to computers. The printed copy is neatly in a convenient drawer but not used.

We're digital people and I'll give you one reason we like digital on things like that. Digital, you can use search and find immediately the word you're after. For us, it's a faster way to find things. For those less digitally inclined, paper might be. :)

Placards installed by builder are in engine compartment and galley as appropriate. Have written rules on board although we're under 12 meters and scoring 100% on power squadron test, but occasional review helps the memory. Close encounters have never given me time to review the rules before action is needed.

It is about time to check the expiration date of the flares.

I admit that I am a scofflaw. I do NOT have a the garbage placard posted. I’ve been putting it off as I can’t find a good location that will satisfy both the USCG, and more importantly, my wife. I think I found a solution this evening. I’ll do it tomorrow.

Not required in the SF Bay and CA Delta.
Al
Surprised to hear that...
What does CA require for signalling devices inland and near shore?
NY has basically adopted USCG for all areas including inland lakes / rivers.

Also do not forget the screw placard to warn people not to jump in the screw while bring underway, what an amazing world we are living in!

L

Also do not forget the screw placard to warn people not to jump in the screw while bring underway, what an amazing world we are living in!

L

Not sure if they are on boats shipped to Canada, but you should see all the safety and warning stickers on new boats in the US.

There are 4 or five at eye level if you are in the water hanging on the swim platform.....which means you might already be in trouble... :)

Must add a couple hundred bucks to every boat....

Al
Surprised to hear that...
What does CA require for signalling devices inland and near shore?
NY has basically adopted USCG for all areas including inland lakes / rivers.

It was brought up by the VE during my 2017 inspection. It has to do with the width of the body of water being less than 2 miles and none of the SF Bay or CA Delta waterways are more than 2 mi wide. Here's a linked reference.

https://www.boatus.org/distress-signals/requirements/

http://www.orionsignals.com/compone...d-on-visual-distress-signal-requirements.html

Al, so Ca just follows the USCG requirement? Sometimes state or local regs are more stringent like age for mandatory lifejackets....or local lakes requiring an anchor....etc....

Stinks but you have to investigate every time you cruise someplace new.....

Al, so Ca just follows the USCG requirement? Sometimes state or local regs are more stringent like age for mandatory lifejackets....or local lakes requiring an anchor....etc....

Stinks but you have to investigate every time you cruise someplace new.....

Nope. My inspection was in CA and our local SF Bay and CA Delta Yachtsman magazine had a recent in depth article about it also. Both agreed that there is no flare requirement inside the GG Bridge.

Good enough for me.

Nope. My inspection was in CA and our local SF Bay and CA Delta Yachtsman magazine had a recent in depth article about it also. Both agreed that there is no flare requirement inside the GG Bridge.

Good enough for me.

Good, hate to see multiple layers of regs.

Good enough for me.

Regardless, I'll be carrying flares despite boating exclusively in the San Francisco Estuary (Bay and Delta). :angel:

Back
Top Bottom