Old 03-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Guru

I haven't been fishing since...

..I was a kid. I used to love lake fishing but life happened and somehow I stopped.
We never wanted to fish off of the sailboat, mostly because it was ill suited to the mess that it would make.
Now that we are about to take delivery of a powerboat, I'm wondering if I might enjoy some fishing again.
As I have never done any salt water fishing and the last fishing I rember was 40 plus years ago... where do I begin?
Where do I go to learn?
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
...or you could just do what most fisherman do...lie! "I caught a world record marlin last week and let him go".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:23 AM   #3

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
You can find so much how to stuff on YouTube. Different fishing techniques, how to tie leaders, etc. Or you can talk to whoever is willing to share knowledge. Good luck.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: CT
A bit of networking, put the word out locally, will yield expert saltwater fishermen who've sadly been forced to let go of their boat, and would be DYING to get back out there.

Or even just advertise, "free chartering" opportunities, in exchange for tutoring, ask for references 8-)

Make some friends while you're at it!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BrB. On which side of the country will you be attempting to catch dinner and what type of fishing would you prefer to do (still fishing or trolling)? There is a massive variety of gear in a wide price range.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Fishing will make a mess of a new pretty trawler too.....teak decks?

Fishing like a lot of hobbies is a really broad subject.

Dragging lines through the water to catch dinner is afar from fly fishing as you can think.

We drug lines from Miami to Ft Lauderdale a few weeks ago and for me, it was nonstop clearing lines of weeds. .....and no luck so frustrating at worst, a bit of fun hope at best.

Then there is take the boat out and drop lines to a known spot....possibly more productive....

The best place to start is talk over a few beers or whatever to someone who actively does all kinds of fishing, and see what types of operations you see on how you would use your boat, and see what they offer up in terms of types of fishing, then you can start to build up the tackle side.

John61ct makes some good points.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #7
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I'm no fishing nut, but many of my friends are. If I mention "fish" to them in, in ten minutes the plans are made. They will show up with rods, tackle, bait, coolers, ice, drinks and food. All I have to do is provide the boat. Stop at the fuel dock on the way back and magically the fuel gets paid for, too. Back to the dock and the fish and boat get cleaned.

I end up with a clean boat, fish for a week and had a great time.

Without my buds I often go out close to shore and do some solo bait dragging. Not too serious about catching fish, but go on a whim when it turns out calm. Put some sports on the sat radio. Somehow a baseball or football game while fishing just works for me. Relaxing.

When I was a kid, my Dad was the fishing NUT. Any spare day and if not wicked stormy, we went fishing and I drove the boat. I think that earned me a lifetimes worth of fishing by age 16. Got a little burned out on it. I learned to fix the boats, too.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #8
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
... where do I begin?
Getting a rod would be a good start
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
A bit of networking, put the word out locally, will yield expert saltwater fishermen who've sadly been forced to let go of their boat, and would be DYING to get back out there.

Or even just advertise, "free chartering" opportunities, in exchange for tutoring, ask for references 8-)

Make some friends while you're at it!
That's pretty interesting advice actually. Having other people aboard is such a departure from the way my wife and I have used our sailboats for 20 years it never would have occurred to me...
Thanks for pointing it out.
Bruce
Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. BrB. On which side of the country will you be attempting to catch dinner and what type of fishing would you prefer to do (still fishing or trolling)? There is a massive variety of gear in a wide price range.
Well now, as we sit here about 100 yards from the American Tug factory in our 16' Airstream, listening to yet another day of rain (in an Airstream, you listen to rain, believe me...) I am beginning to understand why no one here purchases flybridge equipped boats! That leads me to wonder if in fact fishing here will happen at all...

Actually, I'd love to figure this out and I suspect that I can't give a real answer yet. If pressed I'd say both coasts and perhaps trolling?

As it is raining today maybe we will take a trip to the nearest tackle shop and window shop!

Bruce
Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Fishing will make a mess of a new pretty trawler too.....teak decks?

Fishing like a lot of hobbies is a really broad subject.

Dragging lines through the water to catch dinner is afar from fly fishing as you can think.

We drug lines from Miami to Ft Lauderdale a few weeks ago and for me, it was nonstop clearing lines of weeds. .....and no luck so frustrating at worst, a bit of fun hope at best.

Then there is take the boat out and drop lines to a known spot....possibly more productive....

The best place to start is talk over a few beers or whatever to someone who actively does all kinds of fishing, and see what types of operations you see on how you would use your boat, and see what they offer up in terms of types of fishing, then you can start to build up the tackle side.

John61ct makes some good points.
Your first observation is exactly what prevented me from wanting to even consider thinking about fishing on our sailboats. Lots of teak in the cockpit those pretty Sunbrella cushions everywhere, rigging, lines, dodger and Bimini all conspired to make me say "no thanks!".
This boat will have exactly ZERO wood on the exterior!
Well, perhaps some teak deck chairs but that is still being considered.

We will have to figure out where the local fishermen hang out...
Bruce
Old 03-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #12
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. BrB. There is a wealth of expertise here (TF) regarding the west coast fishery. My experience is pretty well limited to the east coast so my techniques and tackle may not be optimum for your current location. One needn't spend a lot of $$ for a basic outfit. Again, wrt my east coast experience, a heavy spinning outfit, some hooks, associated tackle (sinkers, snaps/swivels, leaders if necessary etc.) and a few lures shouldn't run more than $150 or so.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
>..Without my buds I often go out close to shore and do some solo bait dragging. Not too serious about catching fish, but go on a whim when it turns out calm. Put some sports on the sat radio. Somehow a baseball or football game while fishing just works for me. Relaxing....
This is what I envision as I think of fishing. I am sure that as mentioned in other replies that the hobby can move in many directions but I'm fairly sure that the relaxation part, boosted by the occasional fresh fish dinner on the grill would be simply sublime...
Bruce
Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #14

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Sunny Day
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
Run over to Holiday Sports....Hwy 20 - Interstate 5 junction in Burlington. 15 minutes from your location. Best resource in the area and very nice store.
sunnyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. BrB. There is a wealth of expertise here (TF) regarding the west coast fishery. My experience is pretty well limited to the east coast so my techniques and tackle may not be optimum for your current location. One needn't spend a lot of $$ for a basic outfit. Again, wrt my east coast experience, a heavy spinning outfit, some hooks, associated tackle (sinkers, snaps/swivels, leaders if necessary etc.) and a few lures shouldn't run more than $150 or so.
As I mentioned earlier, it is raining here today, I can see a trip to a fishing tackle store in our immediate future.
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 03-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
Run over to Holiday Sports....Hwy 20 - Interstate 5 junction in Burlington. 15 minutes from your location. Best resource in the area and very nice store.
Perfect!
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 03-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #17
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. BrB. One of the FIRST things to purchase should be a book to identify your catch (Yup, think positive). I know in FL I use one similar to this:
Florida Saltwater Fish ID Book by Saltwater Fish ID, Inc. | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear There is most probably a similar book for the west coast.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #18
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B;
I am beginning to understand why no one here purchases flybridge equipped boats!
Now you CAN call yourself a fisherman because that comment moves well beyond alternative facts to become a real WHOPPER.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #19
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If you ever get to Alaska..... I got pretty good at river salmon fishing..... vite me up and I can give a few tips....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
Guru

City: Trenton
Take up fly fishing. You'll never be bored.

alormaria is online now   Reply With Quote