Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
I hate that guy

Returning after a couple-hour cruise exercising the JD, was in the extreme right side of the Mare Island Channel. Heading directly toward me was a 45-to-50-foot, three-story cruiser. Gave a short blast. No response. No responding sound or change in course. Had to take a right turn toward shore to avoid a collision. That boat should have been closer to its side of the channel, let alone respond to my signal.

Next time, next time ... I'll turn around and identify the boat by name and announce over the VHF that the boat is a hazard to navigation.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Returning after a couple-hour cruise exercising the JD, was in the extreme right side of the Mare Island Channel. Heading directly toward me was a 45-to-50-foot, three-story cruiser. Gave a short blast. No response. No responding sound or change in course. Had to take a right turn toward shore to avoid a collision. That boat should have been closer to its side of the channel, let alone respond to my signal.

Next time, next time ... I'll turn around and identify the boat by name and announce over the VHF that the boat is a hazard to navigation.
And you'll find a dingy covering the name.

I run into people like that on just about every extended trip. Usually they are throwing a big wake as well. Calling him out on the VHF will do nothing constructive and if he's too dense to move out of the center of the channel, he's not going to be bothered by you trying to embarass him.

I've considered a paintball gun but I don't know their range.

BTW: Not that he would have understood it, but the danger signal is five short blasts.
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Guru
 
dhmeissner's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Returning after a couple-hour cruise exercising the JD, was in the extreme right side of the Mare Island Channel. Heading directly toward me was a 45-to-50-foot, three-story cruiser. Gave a short blast. No response. No responding sound or change in course. Had to take a right turn toward shore to avoid a collision. That boat should have been closer to its side of the channel, let alone respond to my signal.

Next time, next time ... I'll turn around and identify the boat by name and announce over the VHF that the boat is a hazard to navigation.
Would 5 short blasts have been more appropriate? Not that it would have mattered to him.

Rule 34
Maneuvering and Warning Signals
(d) When vessels in sight of one another are approaching each other and from any cause one fails to understand the intentions or actions of another, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is being taken by the other to avoid collision, the vessel in doubt shall immediately indicate such doubt by giving at least 5 short and rapid blasts of the ships whistle.
__________________
Dave & Suzie - Roughwater 35
http://thepromiserwb1029.org/2012/09...the-promise-2/
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,012
Coming out of the Burlington Canal into Lake Ontario with a Canadian warship on my tail. Once through the canal he accelerates past me and crosses my port bow dragging a huge wake. There was no need for him to do this as he was heading south and could have just turned that way after leaving the canal.

My response ......

Securite, securite, securite. All mariners in the vicinity of the Burlington Canal take heed. I have just been seriously waked by HMCS Toronto who irossed my port bow and is proceeding in a dangerous manner.


The resulting radio conversation between CCG and HMCS Toronto was quite interesting.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Coming out of the Burlington Canal into Lake Ontario with a Canadian warship on my tail. Once through the canal he accelerates past me and crosses my port bow dragging a huge wake. There was no need for him to do this as he was heading south and could have just turned that way after leaving the canal.

My response ......

Securite, securite, securite. All mariners in the vicinity of the Burlington Canal take heed. I have just been seriously waked by HMCS Toronto who irossed my port bow and is proceeding in a dangerous manner.


The resulting radio conversation between CCG and HMCS Toronto was quite interesting.
Well, why don't you tell us about it?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
magicbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Would 5 short blasts have been more appropriate? Not that it would have mattered to him.
That would require someone actually be standing watch with the ability to maneuver the vessel.

Dave
__________________
Barnegat Light NJ or Nantucket MA
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Well, why don't you tell us about it?
I agree with Ron, tell us more.........

On the Columbia River I see this a lot. Last summer there was a 60' cruiser that came into St. Helens, blew past the "no Wake" zone to get to the fuel dock. His wake broke my buddies swim platform. He happens to be a sheriff too. That conversation ended in the cruiser getting a ticket and a claim on his insurance for a swim platform....

We also have big ships coming up and down the river and during fishing season you can hear them blast their horns 5 times for the idiots that insist on anchoring in the channel. There is a place just below Kalama where the ships have to make a tight 90 degree to STBD turn. On this occasion this idiot with an aluminum fishing boat would not move out of the channel and the ship hit him, folding the 20' boat like a piece of tin foil and sending it to the bottom of the river. USCG had to come rescue him. After that the USCG started to issues tickets to the idiots that insisted to anchor in the channels.
__________________
1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Guru
 
dhmeissner's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
That would require someone actually be standing watch with the ability to maneuver the vessel.

Dave
Very true.
__________________
Dave & Suzie - Roughwater 35
http://thepromiserwb1029.org/2012/09...the-promise-2/
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
We also have big ships coming up and down the river and during fishing season you can hear them blast their horns 5 times for the idiots that insist on anchoring in the channel. There is a place just below Kalama where the ships have to make a tight 90 degree to STBD turn. On this occasion this idiot with an aluminum fishing boat would not move out of the channel and the ship hit him, folding the 20' boat like a piece of tin foil and sending it to the bottom of the river. USCG had to come rescue him.
Think that's called natural selection; cleaning up the gene pool.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,705
The flip side of that is something I've seen in two areas of the Columbia. The first is when upstream of Bonneville Dam. Fishermen anchor in the channel and get seriously pi$$e when you pass close by them.

The second is near Hood River when you try to make it up or down river and have to avoid the wind surfers. They just don't seem to realize that a boat can't maneuver or stop as quickly as they can. Their game of Chicken could become deadly for them.
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member
 
City: Wausau,WI
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 54
Maybe your horn wasn't loud enough
theran5317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by theran5317 View Post
Maybe your horn wasn't loud enough
Hah, hah, hah. The Coot's horns echo off the hills. People expect to see a ship but it's only the Coot. My passengers request/demand I not blow the horns unless they're inside the boat.

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member
 
City: Wausau,WI
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 54
I've seen that picture of you polishing those beauties before. I think they are awesome. Just couldn't resist the comment.

Thought you might need another reason to post a great pic.
theran5317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by theran5317 View Post
I've seen that picture of you polishing those beauties before. I think they are awesome. Just couldn't resist the comment.
I suspected that.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #15
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,534
"That would require someone actually be standing watch with the ability to maneuver the vessel. "


No problem , with progress in next iteration "Captain" autopilot and the GPS will have a horn sensor added with FADEC, auto throttle.

It will slow for 1/4 mile and go back to maximum wake mode automatically , no need to bother those aboard.

All will be reported via wireless to the boats owner when he wakes up.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

All will be reported via wireless to the boats owner when he wakes up.
Usually the crash will wake them.

__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
........ and go back to maximum wake mode automatically , no need to bother those aboard.
Maximum Wake Mode.......LOL. That's a riot, FF, but you're right. Down here in Miami where every other boat is a 45 or more sport fisher, I wouldn't doubt that the Auto-Pilots aboard have a software written for that particular speed setting!

Mark.....next time I'm going down the ICW through some of the narrow channels, I'm going to turn around and take a photo of the go-fast boats passing me on both sides at the same time while I'm stuck in the middle, not only dealing with their wakes, but the kickback from their wakes off the concrete sea walls that turn some sections of the ICW into a boiling heap of confused chop. You'd think you were entering an inlet with opposing tide and wind, for God's sake.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,534
IN many sections of the ICW the simplest solution is a tape of "Victory At Sea."

The Dance of the North Atlantic and some others are great listening when suronded by boats with names like BRAIN DEAD!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,723
Re the OP all this talk about blasting on horns and rules of the "road" seems odd to me.
I think I would'a just turned to avoid him. And you wouldn't have to hate him so if you took the liberty to flip him off big time as you went by. The flipping off seems quite appropriate and can be very soothing for the flipper.

Don your folks on post 16 probably stopped just about as fast as we stopped when we hit the whale this last summer. CRASH!
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Re the OP all this talk about blasting on horns and rules of the "road" seems odd to me.
I think I would'a just turned to avoid him. ...
I was close to shore to starboard and I didn't want to turn to port (his starboard) as that was where I was expecting him to turn. Almost without exception there is a silent "ballet" of boats avoiding each other. Not that time, however.
__________________

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012