Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Mastercraft
Very funny!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #62
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
There are trawlers that look like trawlers that aren't.

And there are trawlers (a few) that don't look like trawlers that are.

And then there's fishing trawlers .. not worth mentioning here.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #63
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
There are trawlers that look like trawlers that aren't. And there are trawlers (a few) that don't look like trawlers that are.
And then there's fishing trawlers .. not worth mentioning here.
Hey, Eric. I assume you have the same big clouds of birds following you around just like in this cool picture I found of a trawler (I assume it's similar to yours.)

My question is: How the hell do you deal with all the bird poop?

The only time we have this happen is in our fishing boat when we throw over guts and old bait. We've never had this many around the boat because ours is much smaller than the one in the picture. But while the gulls were zooming and booming around the stuff coming off the boat it was raining sh!it. Took me an hour to clean it all off after we got home.

Curious how you deal with it on your trawler. I talked to a trawler crew when I was directing a shoot in Charleston, SC the other year and they said they use one of those carbide cannons the orchard people use. Make a huge bang every few minutes. They claimed it reduced the number of birds directly over the boat but they still get hit a fair amount. You ever try something like that?
Attached Thumbnails
Trawler.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #64
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Marin. Solution to bird "bombs" Keep your guts and bait on board until you're up on plane heading home. Harder to hit a moving target.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #65
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Marin. Solution to bird "bombs" Keep your guts and bait on board until you're up on plane heading home. Harder to hit a moving target.
That's a great idea if one has a fast-enough boat. Not sure the trawlers I've seen in South Carolina, the UK and France can do that but I'll suggest it next time I have a chance.

I guess with big enough engines, anything's possible. As I've always said, in floatplanes and boats there's no such thing as too much power. You've described yet another advantage of this: outrun the bird poo.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #66
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
That's a great idea if one has a fast-enough boat. Not sure the trawlers I've seen in South Carolina, the UK and France can do that but I'll suggest it next time I have a chance.

I guess with big enough engines, anything's possible. As I've always said, in floatplanes and boats there's no such thing as too much power. You've described yet another advantage of this: outrun the bird poo.
Lots of BS in this thread, if you ask me.

BS#1: All trawlers must catch fish and attract birds and their droppings.

BS#2: There's no such thing as too much power on a boat. (Apparently you never had experience in full displacement boats.)

Marin, we get your fascination with the concept that none (or very few) of the boats on Trawler Forum are trawlers. Let's just agree to disagree and not worry so much about force feeding a personal verbiage agenda. Let's move past this restrictive concept and enjoy what we have....whatever we call them. After all, this is TrawlerForum.com!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #67
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Lots of BS in this thread, if you ask me.

BS#2: There's no such thing as too much power on a boat. (Apparently you never had experience in full displacement boats.)

Let's just agree to disagree and not worry so much about force feeding a personal verbiage agenda. Let's move past this restrictive concept and enjoy what we have....whatever we call them. After all, this is TrawlerForum.com!!
Al-- I realize that in a displacement boat there's a limit to how much horsepower is effective although it seems nobody bothered to tell the Navy and USCG about this if you've ever seen some of their ships going flat out with their sterns down in the big hole the hull has dug.

I also agree with your second statement, although you might cast your mind back to a recent discussion on airplanes where you were quick to correct people who were referring to the conventionally-tailed Beech Bonanza as a "T-tail" which, of course, it isn't. So we all have our tolerance limits for the incorrect usage of the language.

But your point is well taken and, in this instance, the best approach. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #68
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:

I also agree with your second statement, although you might cast your mind back to a recent discussion on airplanes where you were quick to correct people who were referring to the conventionally-tailed Beech Bonanza as a "T-tail" which, of course, it isn't. So we all have our tolerance limits for the incorrect usage of the language.

But your point is well taken and, in this instance, the best approach. Thanks.
The difference is that I stated this once and only once for the purpose of clarifying the discussion. That has not been the case here until now.

Thanks for your understanding.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #69
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Not at this time, you're Honor.
Attached Thumbnails
competent authority.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #70
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin,
You know I've got covered moorage. What birds?

Was in B'ham yesterday and saw a great trawler .. Iron Will. She needs some trim and visability from the helm is obviously lacking but what a boat. Didn't have my camera. Nice floats. Looks like they even come equipped w a storage box.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #71
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Marin. I thought you were referring to bird poop on your small "go fast" boat.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #72
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin,

Was in B'ham yesterday and saw a great trawler .. Iron Will. .
Iron Will is in our part of the marina near us. She used to be owned by the manager of the Seaview North Yard who I believed lived on her for a time. The boat went away for awhile and is now back and owned by someone else. I've never seen her go out but the owner(s) are on her fairly often. One of them likes to sail the small sailboat that's kept across her aft cabin. Her home port is Ft. Collins, Colorado (where I went to college for my freshman year) but I don't know if the owners actually live there or not.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #73
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Hey, Eric. I assume you have the same big clouds of birds following you around just like in this cool picture I found of a trawler (I assume it's similar to yours.)

My question is: How the hell do you deal with all the bird poop?

The only time we have this happen is in our fishing boat when we throw over guts and old bait. We've never had this many around the boat because ours is much smaller than the one in the picture. But while the gulls were zooming and booming around the stuff coming off the boat it was raining sh!it. Took me an hour to clean it all off after we got home.

Curious how you deal with it on your trawler. I talked to a trawler crew when I was directing a shoot in Charleston, SC the other year and they said they use one of those carbide cannons the orchard people use. Make a huge bang every few minutes. They claimed it reduced the number of birds directly over the boat but they still get hit a fair amount. You ever try something like that?
Down here on the Gulf Coast, it is not uncommon for us to be boating in water less than 10 feet....many times in the 5-7 foot range. The bottom is gnarly nasty mud. And in that gnarly nasty mud there is lotsa nutrients....nutrients that the seagulls like. So it is fairly normal for us to have a bunch of seagulls following us around as we churn up some tasty goodies for them to sample.

And on your second point, there are a few shrimp boats around here(strangely I don't call them trawlers) that will get up and go. The first time I saw a shrimp boat doing 20 knots I was in disbelief. But there it was....hauling azz across the bay when it was time to go home!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #74
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Baker- I'd like to see that. Even once!
I think these Mississippi Boys ain't (are not) gonna blow that much fuel- even if they had the horsepower!!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 07-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #75
Scraping Paint

Regarding the "what to call it" debate, the whole issue has, of course, been laid to rest by technology. When people ask me what kind of boats we own I would use the term "diesel cruiser" to describe the boats we have that are that. Of course, most of the people who asked me would have no more idea of what our boats are like after my answer than they had before it.

The same thing happens if one says, "We have a trawler," or a "recreational trawler, " or a "pleasure craft," or a "cabin cruiser," or pretty much any other term, correct or not, one chooses to use.

But the whole issue has been totally laid to rest by a simple device I would bet that every boat owner has regardless of whether it's a $2 million yacht or a $20,000 well used "Taiwan trawler." And that's a mobile phone.

Today when people ask us what kind of boats we have we simply pull out a mobile, punch up a photo of the relevant boat, and show the questioner the screen. End of problem. They know exactly what we have and what it looks like and how big or small it is.

We find that the need to describe our boats with terms, be they correctly or incorrectly used, has totally disappeared both in conversation and on-line. There's the photo, that's what it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437517675.588336.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	42317Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437517755.231362.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	42318
Old 07-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #76
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Good point, Marin. I always carry a photo or two on my phone for such moments. Here's my favorite. They always ask what I'm doing with all those birds behind me..
Attached Thumbnails
trawling Bucky.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #77
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
When describing my boat to non-boaters, I don't use the term "trawler." I say it is a 35-foot motorboat with a maximum speed of eight (statute) miles an hour (mention "trawler" and "knots" will merely cause blank stares). Guests seem to like the ride. Winter going upriver on the Napa:

Old 07-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #78
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
When describing my boat to non-boaters, I don't use the term "trawler." I say it is a 35-foot motorboat with a maximum speed of eight (statute) miles an hour (mention "trawler" and "knots" will merely cause blank stares). Guests seem to like the ride. Winter going upriver on the Napa:
[/IMG]
Wifey B: Shorts and heavy wintry type jackets?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #79
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Shorts and heavy wintry type jackets?
So, you're not familiar with Californians.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #80
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
So, you're not familiar with Californians.
Wifey B: As in "I wish they all could be California?"

Guess not....cause it so totally makes no sense..although I've worn outfits that didn't either so we're even. You must admit it looks silly.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote