I give you criteria, you select the Boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Albin 40 or 48 North Sea Cutter has the Hunt designed hull of the North Sea Patrol boats with the "all weather" hull designs. The Tournament Express series has the same hull. There are a couple other boats out there with this hull. Pretty much rated capable of seas at the length of the hull.

For us though, since we're ICW folks and GreatLoopers (completed 2011), I think our next boat will be the American Tug 34.

Bob

Bob, I have an AT34. I added 5 cabinets to get a bit more storage space, primarily in the galley area. I am still trying to figure out ventilation over the stove.
When you are serious about your shopping, contact me and you can come and inspect my boat, for ideas.
I have yet to figure out storage under the berth. Right now, I have to strain my legs and back to raise the mattress and access this area. There has to be an easier way.

Seahorse Marine Diesel Duck 462 owed one since 2006 and don’t leave home without it .

Not sure its the right boat or the right place to ask?

I have a Grand Banks Europa 36 twin SP 135 engines that sank. No damage to the hull, inside or out. It came up with a polish on the decks. My question is: as I am doing a full rebuild of the boat are there things that I could do to make the boat more seaworthy, similar to the boats mentioned above. Larger Keel. Balast weight. Smaller windows, Stabalizers, Outrigers, Any improvements to make the boat survive bad water. Thanks for any help.

Engine size

Thanks to all but one poster!! I really appreciate your thoughtful responses. Boats suggested are all good candidates. I do have one question, the Nordic 42 linked has a 635 HP cummins engine. Why on earth would anyone need 635 horses on a 42? Beats me that's for sure! For the one poster, sorry I upset you, if you don't like my post(s) just ignore them, you really don't need to reply, I won't mind.

To me, there are probably 2 important reasons to "oversize" the engine: The main one is that assuming the engine, prop and boat are matched to allow maximum speed at maximum hp, The oversize engine will allow cruising at a much lower rpm and noise level. Mine will top out at 2600, but I normally cruise at a very relaxed rpm between 1200 and 1400. The second is that if you are anxious to get someplace or make progress against currents or tides you can do it. It gives you much more flexibility.

The bigger engine weighs more and costs more to purchase, but those are about the only disadvantages.

All just my opinions.

I have a Grand Banks Europa 36 twin SP 135 engines that sank. No damage to the hull, inside or out. It came up with a polish on the decks. My question is: as I am doing a full rebuild of the boat are there things that I could do to make the boat more seaworthy, similar to the boats mentioned above. Larger Keel. Balast weight. Smaller windows, Stabalizers, Outrigers, Any improvements to make the boat survive bad water. Thanks for any help.

Bill,

Welcome to TF. You might find better response to your questions by starting a new thread. And feel free to stop by the Welcome Mat to introduce yourself to the gang.

Boats suggested are all good candidates. I do have one question, the Nordic 42 linked has a 635 HP cummins engine. Why on earth would anyone need 635 horses on a 42? Beats me that's for sure!

635 hp on a Nordic Tug 42 is not overpowered. It has a semi-displacement hull & the more HP you throw at it the faster it will go. That kind of HP in a full displacement hull like a Krogen 42 would make no sense. If you want advice on choosing the right boat you need to at least settle on full or semi-displacement first.

Last edited:
Hi Dan, It looks like they added gas/spring lifts to the plywood base under the mattress to access the storage on the new AT Waypoint 36.

We use similar gas/spring lifts for the engine box on our Albin, our Jeep uses them for the aft hatch, as do most vehicles.

You might contact American Tug and ask them to send you a pair (along with the hardware and mounting specs. If not, you can get a pair from OEM Gas Springs : Attwood Marine. Or, your local auto parts store (once you know the extended and collapsed lengths and pounds of pressure).

Hi Dan, It looks like they added gas/spring lifts to the plywood base under the mattress to access the storage on the new AT Waypoint 36.

We use similar gas/spring lifts for the engine box on our Albin, our Jeep uses them for the aft hatch, as do most vehicles.

You might contact American Tug and ask them to send you a pair (along with the hardware and mounting specs. If not, you can get a pair from OEM Gas Springs : Attwood Marine. Or, your local auto parts store (once you know the extended and collapsed lengths and pounds of pressure).

I wrote and asked for the plans. No response. Per the gas-springs and ply wood platform, those were my thoughts too.
The gas-springs would have to be mighty hefty LOL

If you only need a range of 750 nm then I’m assuming you aren’t doing long distance blue water cruising. So my question is, why do you want a boat that will survive that kind of weather? Just don’t go out. Or, buy a well built ocean cruising sailboat. I love my trawler but I intentionally don’t use it in those conditions.

To me, there are probably 2 important reasons to "oversize" the engine: The main one is that assuming the engine, prop and boat are matched to allow maximum speed at maximum hp, The oversize engine will allow cruising at a much lower rpm and noise level. Mine will top out at 2600, but I normally cruise at a very relaxed rpm between 1200 and 1400. The second is that if you are anxious to get someplace or make progress against currents or tides you can do it. It gives you much more flexibility.

The bigger engine weighs more and costs more to purchase, but those are about the only disadvantages.

All just my opinions.

Gary, if you are referring to full displacement boats, your first reason for a bit of extra horsepower makes good sense.

The extra power does not increase your potential top speed when running against tides or currents. You will still be limited by your hull speed through the water so it won’t increase your speed over ground.

Extra power may however, increase your SOG when powering against a big headwind.

Criteria

I am late to the call for type boats but am in Michigan and cold, our 38 Wellcraft, California is in Pasadena FL and the five years we have owned her find that the Gulf is fun for boating and we enjoy both the intercostal and Gulf. The heaviest seas I have been in are 100+foot swells/waves but that was on a 375 foot Destroyer, the largest in our Wellcraft are about 8-10 feet and it was not real fun but manageable. you will be able to find a great boat for much less than 1/2 mil. We live on our boat and boat from Jan. to mid May and love it. wc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom