I ended up in the mud!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t blame you for calling for help. Patience is king here. For us motoryacht owners, the rudders and running gear are fully exposed and our props are the lowest underwater point. While the AICW is muddy, I wouldn’t risk hitting something hard or bending up the rudder post trying the back out yourself.

Be it Tow Boat or Sea Tow, the success and reputation is often down to the individual franchise operator. Some are good... and some suck. But there is an argument to be made to have coverage from both if you can swing it. Most especially if you transit great distances regularly. We don’t have both yet, but when we leave to go south, you can bet we will have coverage from Yellow and Red.

I am happy it all worked out... We have been big boaters for ten years now. Certainly not very long compared to many of yall here... HOWEVER, in that time, we have never been aground with only twice being in water as deep as the keel with probably just the fact that what saved us was that, around the Neuse River, there is two feet of muck on the bottom. I like to play Mr. Conservative when we are out. Staying in channels and not venturing off the beaten path to find the more remote, and probably more beautiful place. Still, it works for us and I have no regrets.

Oh... and there is something to be said that if your hull is sitting in the mud, your engine intakes are in the mud too. Just shut it down, grab a beer, and enjoy the view for a spell :)

my dockmaster told me if I every get in or fall in don't even try to stand up swim to the ladder . when we bought the slip it was very hard to tell where the water ended and the mud began with the realtors measuring stick .

Good advice. I was racing dinghies at Charleston Yacht Club a couple of years ago and stepped off the bottom of the concrete launch ramp at low tide. Yuck. Went up to my chest in ooze and couldn't easily walk or stand. After floundering around for a minute trying to get back on the ramp I pulled my feet out of the muck and swam to a ladder.

There are a lot of flip flops and shoes around Charleston 3 to 5 feet down in the muck.

Down there it is called "Pluff Mud". Here in NC called "Eel snot".

Regarding "GROUNDING"!

SF Delta has hundreds of islands with firm-material shore lines [i.e. at the very edge] that drops steeply from 0' to 6' depth in just 10' [or less] distance off shore. By the time you get 30' from shore there is 15' to 25' depth.

Therefore, I often purposefully ground the nose of our boat onto the shore edge hard enough to hold boat firmly in position... even in winds and/or a current.

Then I go up front and with lightweight aluminum Danforth style anchor I play cowboy and heave the anchor out-into shore growth. I snub that line on a cleat. And shut the twins down.

Now... With boat bow still firm on ground, front anchor out, holding boat in position... Linda and I using our tow behind runabout set our large aluminum anchor straight back off stern; with considerable scope.

I then go up front and re position line to front anchor leaving enough slack to when pulled taught the boat will be 10' off shore line.

So... next step is: Start engines and gently back off shore with Linda at transom pulling in the back anchor's line. In seconds the front anchor's line comes taught and Linda fastens rear anchor line onto cleat.

Shut engines down and begin to enjoy a totally secure weekend playing on boat, swimming and traveling around on runabout to visit friends and go to restaurants in the Delta.

To off anchor is simple but also takes some description to explain... another post maybe! :rofl:

Happy Grounding/Anchoring Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
Not sure what that all has to do with running aground? :confused:

Yup, after a enough years, if you have never touched bottom, you just aren’t trying hard enough. :)
A few funny things grounding in a planing boat in that first second or two:
The reaction to look around to see who saw you.
The brief moment when you can see the stripe of bottom paint in the sand of the parted sea.
The unrestrained bucket of water whose contents fly forward drenching you and the backside of the windshield.
When the boat falls to the side like a stopped bike rider who forgot to put his feet down.
The sound of an outboard now spinning freely in open air. WHAAAAAAAAAA! The lanyard, where is that lanyard?

In a slow trawler:
A slight bump then the knot meter reads zero.

Everybody runs aground sometime. Just like falling overboard. Its all part of the "Boating Life".

Last edited:
Purposely grounded or stuck the bow in a sedge bank hundreds of times with the engine in gear in order to get a towline to someone, prepare lines, do paperwork, etc...etc...

Faster and easier than anchoring.....but totally different in a workboat that could handle it and unground itself unless it was so high the prop was out of the water.

Grounding and ungrounding myself and others was my specialty when an assistance tower because of my assigned backwater area.

Best guess? Sometimes the boat is aground with a purpose.

Yup! Basically, use grounding to your purpose. Otherwise be extremely cautious!

I'm VERY, VERY careful to not go aground inadvertently... On purpose, as one way that I depicted in post#35 , is OK.

Depth sounders and me are close friends!

Hey everyone! Finally back home after an amazing trip! So that day I got stuck, looking back on it I should have just kept it in gear and went hard right, we probably would have gotten out without any damage. But being that on my boat, there is nothing protecting my running gear. That scares me. When I went to neutral, I was hoping the wind, current, and momentum would bring us to slightly deeper water so I could put it back in gear and motor out. But it didn’t, I got worse. We came to a stop a little ways from the grass. I jumped off the back and felt the rudders. The were hurried. I couldn’t even find the props. That’s when I shut it down, made the call and grabbed a beer. About 15 minutes later we broke loose and we’re moving again, rather quickly actually, towards the grass. I ran to the bridge and we to start the engines but we were still in less than 2’ of water. I decided not to risk it. I’m glad I made the decision that I made. It was the best possible learning experience. It only wasted 45 minutes, didn’t cost a dime (except for the $20 tip) and we were right where we wanted to be, just on the wrong side.

That being said, I’m glad you guys told me about the yellow and red. I have towing through Boat Us. If Sea Tow showed up, I wouldn’t have realized that they can’t bill my insurance. The guy told me that if I didn’t have insurance, it would have cost nearly $800. That’s insane! All he did was yank me out. The paperwork took longer than the actual tow. Anyway, thank god it turned out how it did.

Last edited:
Someone asked where it was. It’s near brird island. It’s a really great place to stop. It was really windy and a little choppy, but the anchor held all night. For some reason our boat yaws back and forth while on the hook in the wind, so that was a little uncomfortable, but other than that it’s a great stop. Bird island beach is really pretty. The next morning my 4 yr old daughter and I jumped in the dink and played on the beach and swam for about an hour or so. Lots of fish to look at and by late morning, small boats were beaching there to hang out and play.

Just make sure you don’t cut the northern corner when entering, Ive heard it’s really shallow!

Attachments

• 043D7AD7-F9FF-4E11-AEFE-95CBE6566E89.jpg
    043D7AD7-F9FF-4E11-AEFE-95CBE6566E89.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 6F588812-B057-4C1A-AFB6-4D28B88A20B7.jpg
    6F588812-B057-4C1A-AFB6-4D28B88A20B7.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 72
..For some reason our boat yaws back and forth while on the hook in the wind, so that was a little uncomfortable..
Have you tried using a snubber on the anchor rode, with an offset to one side or the other? That can help tame the yawing a bit.

Our old boat would do that a lot, made worse by waves slapping hard under the chines. During one night of really noisy conditions I took a pair of kids floating noodles, ran a line through them (knotted to keep them in place) and tied them like a chin strap under the bow chines. Worked pretty well for a 3-in-the-morning hack to try to get some sleep! Learned about offsetting the anchor a bit after that.

Hey everyone! Finally back home after an amazing trip! So that day I got stuck, looking back on it I should have just kept it in gear and went hard right, we probably would have gotten out without any damage. But being that on my boat, there is nothing protecting my running gear. That scares me. When I went to neutral, I was hoping the wind, current, and momentum would bring us to slightly deeper water so I could put it back in gear and motor out. But it didn’t, I got worse. We came to a stop a little ways from the grass. I jumped off the back and felt the rudders. The were hurried. I couldn’t even find the props. That’s when I shut it down, made the call and grabbed a beer. About 15 minutes later we broke loose and we’re moving again, rather quickly actually, towards the grass. I ran to the bridge and we to start the engines but we were still in less than 2’ of water. I decided not to risk it. I’m glad I made the decision that I made. It was the best possible learning experience. It only wasted 45 minutes, didn’t cost a dime (except for the $20 tip) and we were right where we wanted to be, just on the wrong side.

That being said, I’m glad you guys told me about the yellow and red. I have towing through Boat Us. If Sea Tow showed up, I wouldn’t have realized that they can’t bill my insurance. The guy told me that if I didn’t have insurance, it would have cost nearly $800. That’s insane! All he did was yank me out. The paperwork took longer than the actual tow. Anyway, thank god it turned out how it did.

I think you did absolutely the right thing. That's why you have tow membership and by using a professional you reduced the probable damage and your stress. Yes, you could have done this or that and probably avoided, but for what reason other than pride. One the lake we'd often see boats with problems and ask if they were ok, and so calmly they'd say "fine, just relaxing while we wait for Boat US or Sea Tow." Amazing how much stress and panic was reduced. You'd see boats being towed and those in the boat were happily enjoying it like they were out for a Sunday ride.

There is a grey area between a 'soft tug' and a salvage. You got a soft tug, and they defined it in the paperwork as a 'tow'. You got lucky. If they wanted to call it a salvage, it would have been several thousand dollars.

My salvage bill was $5K. I dragged anchor while I was in town. The people behind me fendered and caught me. The tow company came over, rafted up to me, the other boat tossed lines and the tow company towed me to a mooring. Then sent me a 5K bill and called it a salvage. (Technically, I was not on the boat, so that adds an additional variable) I have Boat US. I called them to ask them what their policy was. They admitted that being a customer, they would have more than likely billed it as a tow, but admitted that the boats are franchised and it would be up to the tow operator how it was billed. I could have, however, appealed the bill with Boat US had one of their franchises been involved.

NOTE: The unscrupulous tow company was NOT Sea Tow or Boat US.

Something else to keep in mind under these conditions is to verify with the tow boat BEFORE he ties a line to you, whether it's going to be a tow or a salvage. You have the right to refuse or debate if you're present.

The subject of tow vs. salvage has been discussed at length on this and other forums. I have never heard of the local red or yellow boats in my area abusing the situation.

If not a member with a tow company that responds to your boat in peril or even just where it isnt welcome.....while it might be called salvage.....

You can usually arbitrate it to time and materials of regular rates based on the prevailing conditions.

If not a member with a tow company that responds to your boat in peril or even just where it isnt welcome.....while it might be called salvage.....

You can usually arbitrate it to time and materials of regular rates based on the prevailing conditions.

But if you want use of your boat, you typically have to pay and then recover.

But if you want use of your boat, you typically have to pay and then recover.

Depends on the circumstances, but generally yes.

If too egregious and favorable witnesses, call the police.

When an owner isnt present or contacted before actuon taken and the vessel is not immediate peril, it is a big grey area. We always waited in those cases before toughing the vessel....too great a chance for backlash.

I think I’m going to start a boat towing service. I think our color will be green, because it’s the same color of all the money I’ll have.

Last edited:
Good luck on that......

I think I’m going to start a boat towing service. I think our color will be green, because it’s the same color of all the money I’ll have.

Not the case. There are people on this board who tow, and know much more about this subject than I do. I can tell you that I am close friends with one of the operators in my area. They bust their a$# for a lot of people who are ill prepared and do stupid things, and I can tell you they are not getting rich doing it.

You guys DO know that was a joke right?

You guys DO know that was a joke right?

Copy, I realize that was said in jest. My point was only that a lot of people often complain about the cost of their boat tow insurance and insinuate these guys make tons of money off them. The don't.

Copy, I realize that was said in jest. My point was only that a lot of people often complain about the cost of their boat tow insurance and insinuate these guys make tons of money off them. The don't.

I think the cost of the insurance is extremely resonable considering my tow the other day was nearly $800 (billed to the insurance company). I was out of the mud 45 minutes after I picked up the phone, and all he did was yank me out. He was probably gone for a totally or 20 minutes. I can only imagine the insurance they have plus all of the other overhead, but still, that’s a hell of an hourly rate.

Guess it wasnt a joke..... :)

Depends on the circumstances, but generally yes.

If too egregious and favorable witnesses, call the police.

When an owner isnt present or contacted before actuon taken and the vessel is not immediate peril, it is a big grey area. We always waited in those cases before toughing the vessel....too great a chance for backlash.

Yeah, if the owner is contacted, I would think that it would be up to the operator to prove that the boat really was salvage. Otherwise there could be a good argument that the tow was, in fact, theft and extortion.

Imagine here in the PNW at a very low tide. Lots of boats sitting on the bottom. A tow operator comes along and “salvages” the boat then charges the owner for the privilege. Of course this is an exaggeration but the you get the idea.

Regarding "GROUNDING"!

Now... With boat bow still firm on ground, front anchor out, holding boat in position... Linda and I using our tow behind runabout set our large aluminum anchor straight back off stern; with considerable scope.

Happy Grounding/Anchoring Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Why not just drop the stern anchor on your approach ?

It a good idea to keep extra water under the hull on a falling tide, and leave the skinny water exploring until there's a rising tide. That way you can just sit and wait until you are lifted off the bottom with little risk of (additional) damage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom