Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Way cool boat! Might not be so easy to install a bow thruster with that blunt nose, but I have a feeling the original operators didn't need no stinkin' bow thruster! Have big fun.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
I walked past this boat many times up in Cowichan Bay and loved the way it looks as well as the ruggedness of it. We thought it was a fabulous boat too. It was worked up the the Queen Charlottes from what I remember and has a nice working pedigree on the coast.

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
She's gorgeous! I love that you're safe and secure going forward. Very nice -- stout! I like her. You can have fun in a boat like that. Enjoy!
Old 11-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Gnarly
Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
And an engine room with a work bench - love it!
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #26

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
That, ummmmm, "step" out of the pilot house looks like it could be a surprise after a drink or three (at the dock, naturally). Otherwise you have to admire the salty look of the boat. An old pea jacket, beat up Breton cap, and perhaps an eye patch would be appropriate yachting apparel.
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #27

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Nice job! Enjoy!
Looks like it has a bow thruster?
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Laramie
Vessel Name: Song of San Fransisco
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander
Form follows function. Great boat.
Darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #29
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
You guys are making me all weepy... No, wait, aargghhh Billy, ever been to sea?

It does have some funny things like those doors, but already I rafted up to a 70' seiner and after our chin-wag I climbed over the rail, right into the wheelhouse, so it does have a use. There is a safety that clips across the opening so you get a small warning before you launch into the void. There is also a folding platform outside the starboard door so you can stand there and take the salute. There is a hand-hold in front of the house so you can sort of swing around to the forward cargo deck.

It has a fold-up swim grid to save me a few feet of moorage, a covered back deck so you can stand out of the rain and watch the 36" wheel dig a large hole, a giant top deck to keep kayaks and look down on the world with your beaker of rum, a giant Sampson post to tow various things, a crane on the front deck and a level area with tie-downs to take pallets (might make a buck hauling freight?) and store a dinghy; it actually draws 4 1/2 feet, although it has a fairly flat bottom, it has a substantial keel which is also its keel cooler. It's loud, I have ordered a muffler for her and it's very work-boat inside so it will get some nice panelling and paint and a few less bunks. It has a double bunk in the wheelhouse too, which we will keep.

It needs a heavier anchor rode, a new water heater, a newer battery charger and some new poop hose, all of which I ordered. It also needs some minor changes to the coolant pipes and a barrier/bottom job, which will probably take a week in a yard and seriously damage my wallet. No electrolysis! Maybe I should add, "yet?"

Topside pressure washing and some cosmetics, although it is never going to be shiny, I want it to look cared for, which it will be. New bedding, LED lights, better dinghy, wash the lines, new fenders...........

It does have a cheesy bow thruster, which surprised me by actually working, but installing a conventional tunnel would be hard because she is very wide and has a very stubby bow so the tunnel would be very long. I've always disdained a bow thruster so I'll see if I can do without it; it just unbolts, but I'm not making any changes right away. She seems to maneuver as well as any single although she has a lot of windage. When she is hauled for the bottom work I am going to weld an angle on the trailing edge of the rudder, even though she turns fine in her own length with some creative gear-work. She steers fine as long as she is in gear.

She spent 5 years servicing the park on the Queen Charlottes so she's seen her share of weather and seas, she has a set of flopper-stoppers which a previous owner removed as he claimed it was unnecessary, I don't know if I will hang them back up, yet.

We're gathering up all our tools and boating gear that has been gathering dust for a couple of years and we will be heading over to start the cleaning/adoption phase of a "new" boat in a day or so. Have to buy an old truck! We think we will change the name as it's not us, but we haven't got a replacement yet. Once we have decided, we will have the proper ceremony and we think we will re-christen her by smacking her with a can of Guinness, the containers being made of the same material...

No outside varnish, canvas, teak, wood windows, tarps etc. A pressure wash and a good soak with an evil non-green product should make her look a lot better. A friend of mine said it would be like polishing a turd.

I took the teak bungs and the bronze screws out of my kit this afternoon...
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #30
Guru

It also has an engine-driven fire pump and hose, which will be useful for keeping other boats from anchoring too close(!) and it has an 8 foot drop-down boarding ladder, suitable for divers and for dropping on the aft deck of boats who moor too close.

My friend said I could use the fire hose as a bow thruster. The previous owner used the fire hose to wash down his anchor chain. I'm looking forward to trying that!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #31
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Congratulations. A word of advice---don't hit the dock or you will be buying the marina a new dock.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #32

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Dude-totally awesome
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I don't like it, I love it! Big ole salty boat full of character that says, "yeah I'm here, deal with it!"

Well played sir!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #34
Guru

I actually used a dock to dock, so to speak. My current slip is in a corner of two docks, put the bow gently against the corner of the dock, throw the wheel over and scoot the stern over. You would never do that with a painted boat!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #35
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I actually used a dock to dock, so to speak. My current slip is in a corner of two docks, put the bow gently against the corner of the dock, throw the wheel over and scoot the stern over. You would never do that with a painted boat!
My Imron will blush...
Old 11-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #36
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Congratulations.
I think she looks tough.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Undoubtedly you will receive many, continuous unsolicited compliments about your boat. Same thing with my Coot: "beautiful boat," "love your boat," "my favorite boat," and so on from passerbys, although with my boat it has much to do with the color scheme besides the boat's figure/outline.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #38

City: newfoundland
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Topside pressure washing and some cosmetics, although it is never going to be shiny, I want it to look cared for, which it will be. New bedding, LED lights, better dinghy, wash the lines, new fenders...........
We used a chemical brightener on the aircraft, it removes all the stains and is easy to use, just brush on wait a few minutes and wash off, while she's on the hard of course

found this:
Snee Chemical Aluminum Brightener Gallon Jesco | eBay
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #39
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Nice find Xsbank! That boat will be a hoot. Where will home port be?
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Let me say "well built" I dig well built