Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 01:36 AM   #21
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
So Gordon's boat is a floating crack house?

Old 11-08-2019, 01:45 AM   #22
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Think if I had LE board without courtesy permission or some contact I would have taken them to task right there and demanded an explanation. Followed up with complaints to on high. That's BS!

Old 11-08-2019, 01:54 AM   #23
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Think if I had LE board without courtesy permission or some contact I would have taken them to task right there and demanded an explanation. Followed up with complaints to on high. That's BS!
You might be demanding that explanation while in handcuffs and face down on the deck.

As in most cases, if armed men board your boat, you're probably better off doing what they say.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:18 AM   #24
Guru

City: Boston Area
It seems pretty dangerous. If the OP had changed course or speed as the boarding was taking place it could have resulted in a serious injury. The boardings I have seen they get the capt. attention with lights and siren...tell him or hear to maintain a slow steady course.....and then they board.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:03 AM   #25
FF
Guru

I see the biggest danger to a silent boarding at night when anchored.

In FL folks are protected by the Castle Law, if they feel there home is being invaded.

A shot gun with 00 buck could spread enough so a vest might not be a big help.

Then it would be a he said , she said ,about notification of boarding.

The cops call it testalying .
Old 11-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #26
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I too have been boarded just south of Charleston without a call (that I know of)...And just south of St Augustine but was contacted. Without contact they had the blue lights on...with contact without. Maybe the courts have defined the blue lights as sufficient warning.

Can ask for permission...but not required.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #27
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Think about this.

Would they have done the same in the dead of night? Just quietly stepped on board a moving vessel?

[Edit: saw FF's comment after]
Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #28
Guru

Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
So Gordon's boat is a floating crack house?
Only if he as bent over doing some maintenance!
Old 11-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #29
Guru

Yes, Law Enforcement is trained to do the dangerous.

They will do whatever the mission dictates.

Take away the imperitive, and they will go back to reacting to a different threat.

Whether you believe they are doing the right thing, they believe they are, making light of it it just shows a disregard for how serious law enforcement takes their mission, whether or not their supervisors have figured out whether it's right or wrong.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #30
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
For now, I have a .45acp one the night stand and a 12ga in the closet.
The dead of night, I am silently boarded, they better say something..... before they enter the stateroom.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #31
Guru

Just before they blow your brains out for handling a weapon when THEY have an entry plan in effect.

This is turning laughable.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #32
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Just before they blow your brains out for handling a weapon when THEY have an entry plan in effect.

This is turning laughable.
Not laughable at all. It is called breaking and entering and I have a right to defend myself. I will be happy if they yell and scream something identifying themselves as law enforcement...... I have not hand a good bowel movement in awhile. SMILE
Old 11-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #33
Guru

Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
If I am awakened by strangers creeping around inside my boat, am I to assume they are LEO’s and surrender to them? Or should I arm myself and prepare to protect my wife and myself? Even on a boat I think I still have a right to protect life and limb from unannounced intruders.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
...My wife saw them get close and told me we would be boarded. I told her they would hail us first. A minute later we turned around and three officers were already aboard....
My read is they communicated with your wife and didnít feel the need also use the radio.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #35
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
I have an irrational and unjustifiable problem with absolute authority. I realize it's my own failing, but if someone boards my boat forcibly without warning, that's really going to piss me off. Cops or robbers. There's nothing I can do about it except get mad, and that's what's so frustrating to me.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #36
Guru

Seriously amatuers?

If bad guys board and you shoot...you might have a chance...

If a LE boarding team boards and you even have a chance before the stun grenade...you will not after it...so if you think you are going to defend yourself against a well prepared boarding team...you my friend are happily up for a Darwin award and thankfully are reducing the population crunch.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
My read is they communicated with your wife and didnít feel the need also use the radio.

Exactly what happened to me and anyone who has a concept of proper lookout get it....

And before anyone gets all pumped up...yes the time they boarded me without warning.... my pax was playing loud music and I wasn't looking aft enough, so shame on me.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #38

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I don't think anyone said they'd be successfully defending against a boarding team. But the outcome of a boarding could potentially be quite different when it's announced vs them just barging into the cabin with you having no idea what's going on and you potentially reacting in a way they, uh, don't appreciate.

In my case, being that I usually cruise on plane and only have an outside helm, if they manage to drop a team aboard at 17 - 18 kts without me noticing, I think I'd be more impressed than annoyed.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #39
Guru

They can easily in fact board more easily at speed than slow in some cases.

They plan for the same outcome whether you are a mom & pop or 20 bad guys.

So the outcome is the same to you as it is for 20 bad guys if you try and react the same.

If it isn't a well trained boarding team of a SWAT level, then they probably wouldn't even attempt a night boarding with uncertainties.

Again...most of the time these are pretty well trained pros.... against TFers? I as trained at the minimum level for that kind of stuff... and now 40 years later I have a feeling I am a total novice to today's equipment and tactics.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I've only been boarded once. However, I was doing 24 kts at the time, so nobody was going to just 'board' me. Overtaking me at around 30-35 knots on an intercept course, along with us being the only boat in site, made it clear they at least wanted to talk.

I stopped and they pulled alongside and first asked when the last time I was boarded for a safety inspection. They then asked if they could board.

They were very polite and courteous. Smiles and handshakes all around. They asked fairly basic stuff (pfd's, throwable, etc). Since we keep them within hands reach, all I did was mostly just point ("PDF's are right beside you"; "Throwable is right beside him").

At this point it was very laid back, we were basically 'chat chitting' about their service pistols, and how Sig Saur is in our home state and my wife owns and loves her Sig. (statement for the purpose of context, not to intended to turn this into a gun thread). I then asked what would happen if I had declined their request, to which they all broke out into laughter. The reply "Oh we would have boarded anyway, but it wouldn't be nearly this friendly a visit".

I am very surprised they actually boarded without at least advising that they were going to do so. This isn't a center console. This is my home, regardless of whether it's my primary residence or not.

Closed Thread