Old 04-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Dude, when have you ever done anything wrong!

Old 04-12-2016, 01:08 AM   #42
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
On a friend's recommendation, to eliminate the yellow stain, after using toilet bowl cleaner to get the white back, I applied Mop-n-glow. What a disaster! that was about 15 years ago. There are still places where the stuff just wont go away, now dull and grey. Elsewhere, I have had great success with Colinite Boat Cleaner and wax. I used it on the house, where your eye gets much closer, so the finish has to look better, about 5 years ago, and it still looks good. Having the boat in a shelter is key.

koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #43
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
On a friend's recommendation, to eliminate the yellow stain, after using toilet bowl cleaner to get the white back, I applied Mop-n-glow. What a disaster! that was about 15 years ago. There are still places where the stuff just wont go away, now dull and grey. Elsewhere, I have had great success with Colinite Boat Cleaner and wax. I used it on the house, where your eye gets much closer, so the finish has to look better, about 5 years ago, and it still looks good. Having the boat in a shelter is key.
Is it ever!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #44
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Not hard at all $1500+ (for big boat) to pay someone, verses $40 - $50 to do it yourself with a product that claims that "you can do it"................
If the boat is big enough that a pro is going to charge $1500+ to compound and wax it, materials are going to be far more than $50. The difference between the total cost and the materials cost is the labor. Lots of back breaking labor over a few days.

The correct way to bring back and protect a boat's finish is to wax it along with compounding or wet sanding if necessary. It's not easy work by any means.

"Miracle cures" may look good for a while but when they fail, they are big trouble. When boat wax fails, you just re-wax and all is good again.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #45
Guru

City: kemah
$50 of floor wax will shine a fllet of boats.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #46
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
$50 of floor wax will shine a fllet of boats.
Perhaps, but floor wax in inappropriate for boat hulls. Interior floors perhaps, but not hulls. Where is the UV protection? What about salt water?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #47
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Once the boat is shiny via compounding, wet sanding, or merely needing Finesse-It: Rejex, I'm telling you boys, Rejex. Proven by years of east coast salt water cruising then years in the tannin-rich waters of eastern North Carolina.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #48
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Once the boat is shiny via compounding, wet sanding, or merely needing Finesse-It: Rejex, I'm telling you boys, Rejex. Proven by years of east coast salt water cruising then years in the tannin-rich waters of eastern North Carolina.
George - I read the stats on their site; sounds good. Emailed to find how I can get some in Nor CA.

Thanks for posting about Rejex. - Art
Old 04-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #49
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post

I used that stuff on my RV specifically the front cab-over and it was an OK product. After taking a beating in the rain it was like any other wax, it washed off.......

My experiment here is just on the black strip and if it doesn't work, so be it. I will report the results here after a year of use. Right now it looks really good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1194.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	50703  
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #50
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Having steel as a backing material to heat off polymers is one thing, I am NOT going to try that with gelcoat and fiberglass!
Fraid for once I agree with What Barnacles on this one. I was helping a friend paint a sport fisher hull. Some knuckle head used Rustoleum on it. Clogged the sanding pads at an alarming rate. Took a heat gun and a putty knife and off she came.

Now we did not try to burn through the hull, just enough to wrinkle the paint.
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #51
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I used that stuff on my RV specifically the front cab-over and it was an OK product. After taking a beating in the rain it was like any other wax, it washed off.......

My experiment here is just on the black strip and if it doesn't work, so be it. I will report the results here after a year of use. Right now it looks really good.
I've 16 oz canister of Rejax coming. Going to try it in small spots on trucks, cars, boats... wait till about this time next year and review. I read the stats and posted claims... worth a try!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #52

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I'm with you, Al. Once upon a time when I first bought her, I actually thought I would polish my boat...ha!

Life's too short, besides, I'm kinda fond of the patina now.

My kind of owner! Too bad we don't dock next to each other!
Capt. Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #53
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
It is good but seemed hard to get the wax off when I used it. Maybe I was doing it wrong.
If you were using their paste wax you may have been.

Unlike most waxes you need to buff off Collinite paste wax before it fully drys to dust or its a PITA to wipe/buff off.

I stopped using true waxes a long time ago. There are just to many good polymer sealants out now that do everything better than wax.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #54
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
If you were using their paste wax you may have been.

Unlike most waxes you need to buff off Collinite paste wax before it fully drys to dust or its a PITA to wipe/buff off.

I stopped using true waxes a long time ago. There are just to many good polymer sealants out now that do everything better than wax.
Bill - Would you like to list some? I just ordered Rejax.

This will be first I've used polymer shine product. Plan to test in areas and wait some number of months (one year??) to see outcome, before going whole hog into big shine up with polymers.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #55
Guru

Rejex is one of them.

Zaino and Sea Shield are a couple others.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #56
Art
Guru

Quote:
Rejex is one of them.

Zaino and Sea Shield are a couple others.
Bill - Thanks for product names You have a favorite? - Art
Old 04-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #57
Guru

I like multible coats of Zaino. Which is very easy to apply. And Sae Shield exhaust guard. Both are very good if you have a soot issue on or around your transom. The soot comes off with plain boat soap in most cases.

And it's much easier to clean off the black streaks you get after a rain in many areas as wells. The streaks don't cling to the polymers they way they do to a true wax finish.

The same holds true for Rejex. I just haven't used it as much.

Any of these works best and last longest if the surface is prepared properly before hand of course. Clean and smooth is the key to get the best results. Just as it is with a wax finish.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #58
Art
Guru

Quote:
I like multible coats of Zaino. Which is very easy to apply. And Sae Shield exhaust guard. Both are very good if you have a soot issue on or around your transom. The soot comes off with plain boat soap in most cases.

And it's much easier to clean off the black streaks you get after a rain in many areas as wells. The streaks don't cling to the polymers they way they do to a true wax finish.

The same holds true for Rejex. I just haven't used it as much.

Any of these works best and last longest if the surface is prepared properly before hand of course. Clean and smooth is the key to get the best results. Just as it is with a wax finish.
Thanks! Bill
Old 04-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #59
Veteran Member

City: Mount Vernon, WA / La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Otter
Vessel Model: 1985 President Sundeck 41
I've had great results with Zaino on all our vehicles, as well as the ski boat.
Tried a whole lot of products over the years, and I've stuck with this one for at least 10 years now.

As Capt.Bill11 mentioned, a properly prepared/cleaned surface goes a long way for easier application and longer lasting protection.
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #60
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
**FOLLOW-UP**

I just wanted to provide an update to the pictures I posted of the Nu Glass on our boat.

This past weekend, I spend about 6 hours removing it via wet-sanding by hand the side of the flying bridge. I stepped from 800 grit to 1200 grit to 2000 grit. It actually took two passes because I missed a lot of spots, so the 5-6 hours will be shorter next time for the same amount of coverage. There is a learning curve to get up for sure and it is a pretty messy job. After that, two passes with light rubbing compound using my Milwaukee power buffer. I still need to make a pass or two with polishing compound and a final wax, but I am pretty happy with the results. I could just about leave it like this and call it done. So realistically... in just 10-20 years, I should have the entire boat done

Just wanted to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5362.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	51422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5363.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	51423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5364.jpg