Old 09-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Richard, I think this close call you suffered was our fault. We let you down. After your harrowing trip from the Azores to Ireland that kept us all with bated breath, we all breathed a long sigh of relief when your anchor went down. Then we directed our attention to other things. Sorry, but we should have been there for you. Seriously, I'm glad that you are safe.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #22
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I think that rail gates are accidents waiting to happen. People forget to close them, and at times they appear to be closed but are not latched properly.

On our first trip south from CT to FL, we decided to use a ferry dock on the Potomac River in DC to fill our water tanks as it was a day the ferry was not in service. I did not realize that our starboard boarding gate was left open and my wife, attempting to lasso a piling fell right off the boat. She fell between the slowly moving boat and the rather high dock.

I immediately put the boat in reverse to keep the prop away from her. Her angel must have been on board as a couple of people walking nearby saw our plight and rushed to our aid. Two men were able to pluck her from the water.

I did not see the people rushing to our aid so I left the fly bridge, rushed to the lower deck and jumped to the dock to rescue my wife. Yep, I left the boat in reverse! I then saw that she had been pulled to safety and was able to get back on the boat in time to stop its movement.

We were most fortunate as there were no injuries beyond a really terrible scare. We now latch our gates and try to pull them open to be sure they are latched before the boat moves. I suggest all of us do the same, all the time.

In over 50 years of boat ownership, this was, thank The Lord, our closest brush with a disaster. Let's all be safe, complacency is around every corner. Howard

hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #23
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Richard, I think this close call you suffered was our fault. We let you down. After your harrowing trip from the Azores to Ireland that kept us all with bated breath, we all breathed a long sigh of relief when your anchor went down. Then we directed our attention to other things. Sorry, but we should have been there for you. Seriously, I'm glad that you are safe.

Ditto here. In the future Richard, we of the Forum would prefer that you file a Float Plan with us. No matter how small the journey. It allows us to collectively pull for you and your success. And we all saw how well it worked on the other passage.....😎

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
While I've shop vac up diesel before, it should be noted that the average shop vac is not ignition protected and of course should never be used to pick up gasoline. And some might say not to pick up diesel either.

So if you blow your ass up don't blame us.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #25
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Richard, Since we're now watching your every move, please turn the DeLorme on so we can get an updated fix. Wouldn't what we're doing be called stalking in court?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Regarding side-boarding rail gates:

We have two, one on either side. Also have chains with slide latches at ladder areas between deck-elevations with railings adjacent - entire tri cabin boat is SS railed on every deck and around bridge.

For safety sake - on side-boarding gates: We always keep port gate firmly/tightly latched and use it very seldom. We use stbd gate often. There we have nice set-in position for when closed and keep strong bungee cord as draw down to make sure gate can not become lose. When gate is open that bungee works as visual signal due to its hanging movements... so far so good!

That boat area can become a killer! Complacency aboard boat can really cause trouble... but... multi tasking can cause complacency to happen for even the most experienced mariner.

Careful is - as careful does!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_JimS View Post
Richard,

Very glad we still have you with us.

Complacency.

Immediately reminds me of not remembering one left the hatch to the ER off while running around the boat doing odd jobs.
Eventually one learns your lesson WELL and do not forget again!

Too bad we often have to learn lessons the Hard way.
I did that. ..3broken ribs a collapsed lung and a week in the hospital
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #28
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
One thing I've learned is that the protection from further complacent moments last until the consequences from the last complacent moment wear off. I'll bet ole Richard's wrenched fingers will be reminding him for a while.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Regarding side-boarding rail gates:

Careful is - as careful does!
No kidding! I'm solo much of the time, and run the boat from the pilothouse. Underway, I occasionally venture into the protected cockpit, but never on deck without a PFD. There are handholds installed everywhere, but if running solo at night, or in rough conditions, I sometimes rig jack lines from the cockpit to the sampson post and wear my harness and a short tether. Like in my sailing days. I never want to get separated from the boat, especially if alone.

Now, I have no idea how I might get back aboard if I am hanging over the side on a 2' tether, but that's another issue. I suppose I should actually try it sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2436.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	32637  
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
No kidding! I'm solo much of the time, and run the boat from the pilothouse. Underway, I occasionally venture into the protected cockpit, but never on deck without a PFD. There are handholds installed everywhere, but if running solo at night, or in rough conditions, I sometimes rig jack lines from the cockpit to the sampson post and wear my harness and a short tether. Like in my sailing days. I never want to get separated from the boat, especially if alone.

Now, I have no idea how I might get back aboard if I am hanging over the side on a 2' tether, but that's another issue. I suppose I should actually try it sometime.
Yo - When you try it... make sure there is some BIG Strong Bubba aboard to pull u-asss back in if needed... Best Luck!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Sometimes I'm a bit obsessive but sometimes perhaps it's good. It struck me sometime back that we have lights and alarms that go off on cars if the door is ajar. Yet, we have gates that open on boats to board or to get off at the dock and if they're open, nothing. Now we did put checking them on our pre-move check list. But I wondered why not a dash light or rather a helm one. We had gone to the trouble in a build of extra height in the rails, but if you have a section open that leaves a big risk. So we have a little panel with all openings on it. Red lights mean open.

Richard just made me feel that I wasn't being overly cautious.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
You sure got my attention about my 3 rail gates.
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #33
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Richard, Since we're now watching your every move, please turn the DeLorme on so we can get an updated fix. Wouldn't what we're doing be called stalking in court?
I left it in my bag, with my kindle.

What ever happened to the guy whose tagline was:

"I don't like planning, because that word premeditated is thrown around in court a lot"

Do something to that effect. Really great.
I miss him
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #34
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Yo - When you try it... make sure there is some BIG Strong Bubba aboard to pull u-asss back in if needed... Best Luck!
Art,

At my size, I think it will be simpler for him to just cut the tether and let me drop! Maybe that way I can swim around to the ladder and get aboard that way. If I am alone though, it might resemble the final scenes in Moby Dick as Boomarang putt-putts into the night!

As you can see, I have given this some thought . . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ahab.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	32638  

LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote