Hvac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbwire

We have a 2006 Mainship with 3 HVAC units having a problem with two of the units when on blowing out a white powder like substance. This substance is real fine have cleaned all the filters and still doing it any ideas would appreciate

Was your boat recently delivered to you or your broker from a smuggler?
HVAC units are a great place to hide "stuff".....:socool: I would suggest you start pulling the flex ducts apart and investigate!

maybe just aluminum corrosion in the vents or fins....let it blow hard for a couple hours or clean the coil fins.

What psneeld said.

Possibly aluminum oxide from the coil, or ducting; check the pH of the condensate, it should be neutral (7).

For curiosity, are all 3 units the same? Where are the intakes of each and have you recently started doing something different around the intakes of 2...something as innocent as burning incense; anything that would change the air quality or moisture?

Also check grounding of all 3.

Oxide on fins of condenser/evaporator.

Oxide on fins of condenser/evaporator.

I had this same problem. Bought some foaming cleaner that I sprayed on the aluminum fins then washed it off with a hose, then used a wet vac to dry them off and suck out any leftover white stuff.

Seemed to have cleaned them up pretty well.

It is amazing how many folks ignore their AC units season after season and still expect them to function as normal.
The best thing you can do for them each season is clean the coil.
BUT if you touch them with a brush or anything like it you will ruin the coil.
Just spray, let sit for a few minutes and rinse with a lazy stray from a low pressure garden hose..
This is the stuff to use and at an amazing price. One can per AC unit does the job with a couple application and rinses.
Be Sure And Wear Safety Glasses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quest-Cobra...625545?hash=item3f261192c9:g:4nUAAOxyOa9R0Njz

Thanks, PgiTug

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom