Old 03-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
If they did move your boat and it subsequently got damaged, I would assume there would probably be some liability issues as well......
Actually Florida law as referenced above provides them pretty strong protection against that. Doesn't say they couldn't be sued, but some form of extreme negligence would have to be proved. The law was written in a way as to not make them scared to make what they felt was the appropriate decision.

Only problem with any of that is around here, they've got nowhere on land to put the boats and most don't have the means to do so anyway.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #42
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Having lived in South Florida under a couple of hurricane warnings (which included the chore of shuttering the house), but not owning a boat at the time, what I observed in the Del Rey, Boca, Deerfield and Hillsboro Inlet area was people getting boats off the dock and spider webbed into fairways and canals. Some guys took their boat as far away as the "cone" as possible into the mangroves somewhere. Leaving it tied to any kind of dock being the least desirable option.

Again, it all comes down to having a plan, verifying its viability with others and executing it as early as possible.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #43

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Greetings from New Delhi! Thank you all for the wealth of information. BandB, I really like your approach...
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #44

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
I have two options on my plan. First, I pay a yearly reserve fee to be hauled within the levee system at Seabrook Marine for any named storm in our area. If the storm is anything like a Katrina/Rita I would run it north across Lake Ponchartrain and up the Tchefuncta River as far up as possible, secure it, then take the dingy to the nearest take out point and leave. No way would I ride out one of those big storms on a boat. I've been through too many hurricanes down here to take a chance with my life staying aboard.
ragin cajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #45
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Ragin Cajun: From the pics we were getting last week it looked like the Pearl and the Tchefuncta Rivers were up pretty good. That may have been more rain that your typical hurricane would drop.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
... No way would I ride out one of those big storms on a boat. I've been through too many hurricanes down here to take a chance with my life staying aboard.
It's a personal choice and one I agree with it, we won't stay on the boat. We were in Trinidad and helped with the relief effort when Ivan went through. The boats at anchor in Grenada mostly ended up on the beach or sunk. One drags and there goes everyone in their path.

Hurricane Odile in La Paz, 2014, 3 experienced cruisers lost their lives by staying on their boats.

A lot depends on the situation but if all hell breaks loose, there is nothing you can do. It's too late to change your plan.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #47
Guru

Larry M you are absolutely right on it being a personal choice. I typically stay on my boat during a storm, but I do not stay in one spot. With the forecasting and predictions on surge, winds, and location it would be hard to believe one would sneak up on you if you are paying attention. Which gives the opportunity often a week or more to move out of the way. Usually run west our south but like I said look at the weather information. I can travel over 180 nm per day if I have to. That gives a lot of room for safety.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Ragin Cajun: From the pics we were getting last week it looked like the Pearl and the Tchefuncta Rivers were up pretty good. That may have been more rain that your typical hurricane would drop.
Your right Ulysses, far more rain with that recent front, 12-18'', than the last three hurricanes. I still don't trust the levee' system that surrounds New Orleans. That's why in a big storm I'd rather run north up a river system than keep the boat on the hard in sight of the levee in the 9th ward.
I really prefer to move the boat west of any system but the hassle of going through the locks in N.O. with everyone else would be a complete nightmare. Besides, you're stuck to the west bound ICW for at least 80 miles in lowlands that will flood quite easily, even worse than north of the Lake P.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #49
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
No Problem, just tie up to some pilings you'll be ok!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Piling.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	49983  
Old 03-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No Problem, just tie up to some pilings you'll be ok!
Stevie, I love the water line damage on those pilings! Looks like beaver damage!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #51
Guru

Ragin Cajun: Good points on all. I gathered your and most everyone else's opinion of the new and improved levee system when I read your post of going up the Tchefuncte. I am not sure about the flatland marsh surges westward. I noticed several new control structures on Bayou Lafourche and other inlets out that way. Steve might know more than I about those.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Ragin Cajun: Good points on all. I gathered your and most everyone else's opinion of the new and improved levee system when I read your post of going up the Tchefuncte. I am not sure about the flatland marsh surges westward. I noticed several new control structures on Bayou Lafourche and other inlets out that way. Steve might know more than I about those.
You seem to know this area very well! Yep, the Lafourche/Houma area has several control structures that will help with storm surge. However, from the Atchafalaya delta, both east and west, there are no such structures, Cote Blanche/Vermilion Bay are totally open to storm surge which will bring water into Morgan City westward to New Iberia and Abbeville . Just a 5ft storm surge will send water 20 miles inland in these areas.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #53
Guru

R.C. One option would be to get up the Port Allen Route above Bayou Sorrell Locks but that is still a pretty good haul from the Industrial Canal. I have seen a 5 foot surge go up the Miss. River once or twice.
Yes, I have had a little boating experience in your neighborhood but it was a few years back when the side wheeled steam boats plied those waters.

For those hurricane followers, yes I know that Katrina hit N.O. with a hard surge, but it came in the backdoor up the MRGO (fifty or so miles to the Gulf) while the Miss. R. is 110 miles up from the Gulf. Camille brought a surge up the River in 69.