Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmex99 View Post
I am in Nuevo Vallarta, just 1/4 mile from Paradise Village Marina and we have been told that the eye of Patricia has altered course and is headed inland about 35 miles south of us near Cabo Corrientes. Good news, although it is still going to be a mess here. The wind is just starting to pick up and is still going to be in the 110-140 mph range. I will give more info as this unravels.
What prep is the marina doing or has done? Good luck.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Libertad
Vessel Model: Offshore 54
All that could be done was to batten down the place. A full on hit would have been devastating but it was only a glancing blow. A bit of wond and some rain. All in all it was the best we could have hoped for. It came ashore in Barra De Navidad, a beautiful coastal town that I have visited numerous times on Libertad. The destruction was amazingly brutal.

Well, off to sleep now.

Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Thanks. We spent 5 years cruising that area. I hope no one was in the lagoon at Barra.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #24
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
USA TODAY quotes Mexican officials as saying there is only minor damage and no reported deaths. I find this very hard to comprehend. I suspect we'll get more info in a few days.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Libertad
Vessel Model: Offshore 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
USA TODAY quotes Mexican officials as saying there is only minor damage and no reported deaths. I find this very hard to comprehend. I suspect we'll get more info in a few days.
The Sierra Madre mountains lie just to the south of PV and are a natural barrier to hurricanes. A direct hit is the result of the hurrricane going further north before heading inland. That was the original forecast. Luckily, it didn't happen.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #26
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
To the south of where the eye landed would get the worst hit. As I understand it is somewhat sparsely populated on that coast. Any reports from down there?
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
It's now down to a tropical depression. While there is flooding, there's actually as much or more in Texas. As to the wind damage and deaths, the reports are good so far, but I'd expect some to be found later.

In many ways, Patricia was like Andrew. Powerful. Small in size. Moving fast. Andrew's damage was primarily wind related and the worst of it was in a small area. The big difference is that while Andrew hit south Miami, Florida City and Homestead, Patricia found the least populated area between larger towns.

I want rest easy until more is heard but I do feel some sense of relief that things were not as bad as they easily could have been. 30 miles in either direction and likely would have been far worse.

From all I can tell to, it appears that the people did an incredible job of setting up shelters and getting people evacuated or to those shelters and others did a good job of boarding up and finding safe rooms.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote