Old 10-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #221
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Interesting, but it looks like Va is safe.
I don't mind experiencing interesting weather up to a point, and we can use the rain.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #222
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
From Dr. Master's latest update:
Well, that's good news, but with all things fickle (Weather, women etc) it can all change. Webcam of my Washington Waterfront docks, show most have bailed for safer areas. Mark (Daddyo) and I will be out in the river swingng on mooring balls just in case!
Old 10-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #223

City: Bucksport, Maine
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Heron,
I agree. A whole lot of professional forecasters shaking their heads on this one.

As I said before, seems almost like the closer we get, the more surprises we get...

A couple of models bring this across the state into GOM and then South.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #224
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
We are tied up at Atlantic Yacht Basin in Chesapeake, VA. Just wondering if any TF'ers are here as well?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #225
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: I wonder if Matthew will decide to try to date Nicole? Then they could have little kid hurricanes. Ok, I know it's serious but just had to lighten it up a moment.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #226
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I wonder if Matthew will decide to try to date Nicole? Then they could have little kid hurricanes. Ok, I know it's serious but just had to lighten it up a moment.
I think they are going to have oral sex in Bermuda
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #227
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
You have to wonder what Nicole entering the picture will mean . . . curiouser and curiouser as they say . . .
Google the
Fujiwhara effect, to see what happens when two storms interact.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #228
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You may be kidding but I think you may not be far off the mark. I make no claims as a weather forecaster but I did study meteorology in university (in the old days). With the other big low east of Matthew (Louise) and yet another one in the North Atlantic these things act like black holes and pull towards each other. Add in the front coming down from Canada and the jetsream running north east through the US and it all adds up to Matthew being pushed/pulled east before it reaches the Chesapeake. Unfortunately if this does happen it makes the bizarre prediction of a 360degree rounding of Matthew possible so that Bahamas and Florida could get hit twice.

But what the hell lots of people know more than me.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #229
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

But what the hell lots of people know more than me.
Or claim to perhaps. Now when all this is over, every forecaster will be saying they told us exactly what was going to happen. Thing is, that will probably be true that one out of the hundred forecasts they gave turned out to be right.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #230

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
All day news about the storm approach in Miami,south Florida. Going over the same stuff for hours. Wife is watching and calling everyone she can. Got the boat ready for 30+ winds tomorrow afternoon with gusts to 45 so says the weather on the vhf. Tied everything down here at harbour Cay club and planing a hurricane party tomorrow night. Keys out of cone of death but will get winds and rain starting tonight thru Friday. Many boat have been pulled and racked,big boats on moorings in boot key harbour and have seen some yachts come into faro blanco to tie up for the storm. Going to be ready and watch where it guy is going after Saturday. Looks like it might turn back toward Florida. Let's hope not. Good luck to all in its path.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #231

City: Bucksport, Maine
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
A lot of forecasters have played catchup throughout this whole saga so far.
Really shows the value (if you can put up with all of the bickering, making liberal use of the "ignore" button) of a blog like Master's on WU.
A lot of the serious longtime bloggers there were way out in front of this with some pretty good analysis to back up what they were thinking.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #232
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Interesting to look at Passageweather. They show a landfall between canaveral and stuart. Then up the coast, then back down. Not showing the big loop out to sea.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #233
Guru

Still so much unknown as just a few miles left or right changes everything. In FLL we have a hurricane warning but we have a forecast of only tropical storm winds. Now that makes sense as the warning is what happens if it moves left and the forecast is based on the current predicted path. I did notice that Daytona Beach has CAT 1 winds, around 85 mph forecast vs. our much lower forecast.

Groceries aren't the only thing with a run on them today. Everyone fueled their cars and cell phones sold insanely and are still doing so, referring to inexpensive phones and packages. The $29.99 phones and $30 plans. Batteries have also been hot. Some phones are just for backup. Others are for people who didn't have one. Actually wise in case land communication is down. We expect outrageous returns next week or just cancelling service. That's fine. I didn't anticipate this but fortunately those more knowledgeable than me run day to day operations.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #234
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Hobo's 2 miles from the entrance of the St John's River in JAX, on the hard with 16 jack stands w/chains. She's facing into the wind. We reinstalled the thru hulls we took out last week. With the predicted storm surge of 4-6', she'll float if she has to. We should be done tomorrow am securing everything and then we wait.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0022a.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #235
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Hobo's 2 miles from the entrance of the St John's River in JAX, on the hard with 16 jack stands w/chains. She's facing into the wind. We reinstalled the thru hulls we took out last week. With the predicted storm surge of 4-6', she'll float if she has to. We should be done tomorrow am securing everything and then we wait.
Thinking outside the box for a moment....as hurricanes pass....winds shift. Plus the can be all over the place from turbulence, etc.

Thought about lowering your Paravane poles for less windage? I have been toying with the idea of connection ting them to heavy objects to also help any rocking in the stands......not convinced...just thinking....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #236
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Larry: Might want to throw out the anchor.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #237

Just a quick note to all,I hope all in the path (whatever it becomes) stay safe . God bless all .
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #238
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Lots of boats came up the Miami river today. Sold a bunch of rope and fenders. We're under a tropical storm warning but everyone is treating it like a hurricane warning. Good practice for us. Haven't gone through the drill in a long time.
Possum is behind my store with double lines and no canvas.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #239
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Stay safe everyone! No "stuff," even my boat, is worth injury or worse.

Godspeed.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #240
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
If you follow the media reporting on this or any other hurricane they are really drama merchants and make it appear much more important than it is. The reporting after the storm always shows the worst, most destructive photos they can find. They are in the business of selling. My boat is on the Miami River and I've doubled the spring lines and taken in the cushions. I have confidence the boat will be fine.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote