Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #141
Veteran Member
 
City: Texas
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Between boats
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 31
Haiti is heartbreaking.


Saw images on the network news last night. Discussion was people were worried about evacuating, losing what little they had. Really puts our blessed lives in perspective.


Mark
__________________
Advertisement

FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #142
TF Site Team
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Daddyo, the Dismal Swamp is considered a good hurricane hole.
We had imminent warning of a hurricane when we were cruising on the sailboat in that area, back in around 1998. We were trying to figure out where to go when several other boats came past us, and one of them stopped to talk to us since we were obviously strangers in the hood. He said that they were headed for the first lock up north of Elizabeth City, and that they would close the lock at both ends during the storm and let boats stay in there. So we followed them in there, and sure enough. Stretched lines to either side of the lock and kept the boat pretty much in the middle, and rode it out with very little damage. (During the height of the storm we heeled over far enough to do some slight damage, but nothing which could not be fixed with some fiberglass).
__________________

__________________
John
jwnall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #143
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar


 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Mark, either River Dunes, or come on up to Northwest Creek. Call Paul or Dawn......we have slips next to us that should be available. NWC is a hurricane hole. Or Jarrett bay to haul out. We'll be down on Thursday for final prepping.
NWC said they don't allow boats in for hurricane shelter plus Grace is too big for them. Jarrett Bay charges a $15 per foot contract at the beginning of the season and then $9 per ft to haul each time. For example a haul in Deltaville is $6.50 a foot vs $24!! Oh and they're full. River Dunes is on a waiting list and a five day minimum is required. Looks like the Trent River might be the only choice.
__________________
Mark Bowerman
Brokerage owner and cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #144
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar


 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
We had imminent warning of a hurricane when we were cruising on the sailboat in that area, back in around 1998. We were trying to figure out where to go when several other boats came past us, and one of them stopped to talk to us since we were obviously strangers in the hood. He said that they were headed for the first lock up north of Elizabeth City, and that they would close the lock at both ends during the storm and let boats stay in there. So we followed them in there, and sure enough. Stretched lines to either side of the lock and kept the boat pretty much in the middle, and rode it out with very little damage. (During the height of the storm we heeled over far enough to do some slight damage, but nothing which could not be fixed with some fiberglass).
The risk you take with that is the lock can remain closed due to flooding or lock damage and might keep you there much, much longer than expected. Debris is still a big problem if you're right at the shore like that.
__________________
Mark Bowerman
Brokerage owner and cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #145
Senior Member
 
Bigsfish's Avatar
 
City: Miami River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 106
As the storm moves further west I am rethinking my plans, tomorrow will be decision day and if need be ill double the lines, take off the covers, add fenders, put up the antennas and hope for the best. The Miami River is fairly well protected from wind and I'm far enough up not to worry about the surge. My biggest concern are other boats not being secured.

Of course, I could go out and anchor in the bay to test the Boss anchor. LOL
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #146
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,442
For countries like Haiti, everything adds up. They're still suffering from a cholera outbreak which came after an earthquake. Now sending people to shelters as well as flooding is all likely to increase the cholera issue.

Seeing devastation like that really makes any fear we have of the storm seem so minor in comparison.

As the cone shifted slightly, our home is now 15 miles out of the cone. So, we have a tropical storm watch and those 15 miles north of us have a hurricane watch. However we have businesses, not so important, with employees, very important, in the hurricane warning area.

i find it difficult to take any solace in the fact it's not likely to hit us directly, when it is hitting and will continue to hit other areas directly.

For the southern areas of the Bahamas, it's expected to have much the same effect Joaquin had a year ago. That's going to be very difficult on people who have spent the last year rebuilding.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #147
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Valley Forge, PA
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
think I'll stay up here at the top of the Chesapeake for while.
Might head over to Weems Creek near Annapolis today, anyone know if there is space in that anchorage right now ?
Wallace, Worton Creek had some transient spots when I was there Sunday. It's well-protected, especially from the east. If you end up there, let me know; like to shake hands.

Ian (angus99)
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #148
Guru
 
Heron's Avatar
 
City: Washington NC Waterfront
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 891
Looks like, based on current tracks, this is gonna come right over us at the head of the Pamlico. There is a small mooring field off my docks in Washington NC. I'm about to make arrangements to go out on a ball. At $10 a day this looks like a no brainer. Just serviced, rated for 50 ft in 100 mph winds. Should be OK. A little leery of staying at the docks, even though pretty well protected. Decision point tomorrow...
__________________
Steve
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #149
Senior Member
 
yachtbrokerguy's Avatar


 
City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 410
I have hired a deckhand to come to some of my listings here at the shipyard in Fort Lauderdale and remove the Bimini tops. He will be paid $25 per hour with an estimate cost of $50 to $100 per Bimini to take down and put back up. How could you get any canvas repair for that amount of money?
The shipyard is five miles up river from the ocean and is already full.
__________________
Tucker Fallon CPYB
www.yachtbrokerguy.com
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #150
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
This is a special weather statement on Carnival Cruise Line's website, changing the itinerary of a cruise that left Jacksonville at 4pm today:

Carnival Elation ľ 10/3/16 departure
We will need to cancel our calls in Half Moon Cay and Nassau and replace them with a visit to Key West and Freeport. Please find the new itinerary below.

Day Port Arrival Departure
Mon Jacksonville, FL 4:00PM
Tue Fun Day @ Sea
Wed Key West 8:00AM 8:00PM
Thu Fun Day @ Sea
Fri Freeport, The Bahamas 7:00AM 2:00PM
Sat Jacksonville, FL 7:00AM


So Thursday, they'll be going from Key West East over to the Bahamas?
That's the exact time that Mathew is supposed to hit the Bahamas as a Cat4/Cat5 storm.

That "Fun Day at Sea" on Thursday might be really something.
As an update, Freeport now is under the same hurricane warning as Nassau.

Prediction, the Fun Day will be very near Key West. Current forecasts off the coast around Fort Lauderdale are seas of 9 to 11' with occasional 14' for Thursday and Gulf Stream is 14-17' with occasional 20'. The Gulf Stream in the area toward Freeport is in excess of 20' with occasional 28'. This assumes winds of 40-50 knots and gusts of 60 knots.

Now if the storm moved east, then the winds would be double that, actually if in a CAT 3 hurricane. The good news for Carnival is that Friday looks good in South Florida and the storm would probably hit the Jacksonville area around 8 am on Friday so they should be able to cruise Friday night and be back to Jacksonville as planned on Saturday morning.

I think we can safely assume now that the cruise ship will not visit the Bahamas on this trip. Rename it the "Key West Cruise".
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #151
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
I have hired a deckhand to come to some of my listings here at the shipyard in Fort Lauderdale and remove the Bimini tops. He will be paid $25 per hour with an estimate cost of $50 to $100 per Bimini to take down and put back up. How could you get any canvas repair for that amount of money?
The shipyard is five miles up river from the ocean and is already full.
Easy and smart precaution. We basically just check that everything is tied well, no movable objects outside such as furniture and no canvas. You're dealing with boat floating docks and fixed aren't you?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #152
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar


 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Looks like, based on current tracks, this is gonna come right over us at the head of the Pamlico. There is a small mooring field off my docks in Washington NC. I'm about to make arrangements to go out on a ball. At $10 a day this looks like a no brainer. Just serviced, rated for 50 ft in 100 mph winds. Should be OK. A little leery of staying at the docks, even though pretty well protected. Decision point tomorrow...
Who is the contact for the moorings? That might be an option for me.
__________________
Mark Bowerman
Brokerage owner and cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #153
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Well this is really starting to look like number four for me. Grace is still out in Ocracoke and that looks to be about the worst place you can be. I'm heading back to the boat tomorrow and try to make a bumpy run across the Pamlico Sound on Wed to try and find a hiding spot either in Adams Creek or further up toward New Bern. There just aren't any good places to hide in Eastern NC for this one.
The Trent River at New Bern if not too crowded with boats should be good. What about Goose Creek or Bath Creek off the Pamlico River? The cove inside Adams Creek entrance a little ways could be good.

Mark, it seems that if a hurricane is around you will find it. Good luck.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #154
Guru
 
Heron's Avatar
 
City: Washington NC Waterfront
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 891
Mark...Just passed your name to my Mooring contact. The upper Pamlico is pretty protected and you'll have the benefit of the Washington Waterfont ammenities, Restaurants etc. I just made my reservation. Maybe I'll see you up the river this weekend.. PM details should be in your inbox..

Looks like this thing is gonna come right over us unless a radical track change happens..
__________________
Steve
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #155
Guru
 
Heron's Avatar
 
City: Washington NC Waterfront
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The Trent River at New Bern if not too crowded with boats should be good. What about Goose Creek or Bath Creek off the Pamlico River? The cove inside Adams Creek entrance a little ways could be good.

Goose creek or Bath are good options if you don't mind being on the hook. Goose creek probably being the most protected. I go in there all the time if you can deal with 4-5 ft. draft. Likely the water will be up so this would not be an issue since the tidal changes in the Pamlico are largely wind driven and will likely be 3-4 feet over the norm..
__________________
Steve
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #156
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Miami is currently out of the cone of death but there is too much uncertainty about this one. They are talking about a ridge forming to the NE of the storm. That would push it right into Florida.

I'm going to do a little more hurricane prep work today. I've got three bee hives in my back yard. I guess I'll lose them if a hurricane hits.
The center of the " cone of death" is the best place to be early on. Because the storm never seems to end up going there.

As to your bees, can't you just bring them inside?
Capt.Bill11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #157
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
As an update, Freeport now is under the same hurricane warning as Nassau.

Prediction, the Fun Day will be very near Key West. Current forecasts off the coast around Fort Lauderdale are seas of 9 to 11' with occasional 14' for Thursday and Gulf Stream is 14-17' with occasional 20'. The Gulf Stream in the area toward Freeport is in excess of 20' with occasional 28'. This assumes winds of 40-50 knots and gusts of 60 knots.

Now if the storm moved east, then the winds would be double that, actually if in a CAT 3 hurricane. The good news for Carnival is that Friday looks good in South Florida and the storm would probably hit the Jacksonville area around 8 am on Friday so they should be able to cruise Friday night and be back to Jacksonville as planned on Saturday morning.

I think we can safely assume now that the cruise ship will not visit the Bahamas on this trip. Rename it the "Key West Cruise".
And that is why I'm staying put in Key West till while this thing rolls on North.

Where is your big boat going to be for the storm?
Capt.Bill11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #158
Senior Member
 
Lobstah's Avatar
 
City: Dunedin, Fl
Country: USA
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
As an update, Freeport now is under the same hurricane warning as Nassau.

Prediction, the Fun Day will be very near Key West. Current forecasts off the coast around Fort Lauderdale are seas of 9 to 11' with occasional 14' for Thursday and Gulf Stream is 14-17' with occasional 20'. The Gulf Stream in the area toward Freeport is in excess of 20' with occasional 28'. This assumes winds of 40-50 knots and gusts of 60 knots.

Now if the storm moved east, then the winds would be double that, actually if in a CAT 3 hurricane. The good news for Carnival is that Friday looks good in South Florida and the storm would probably hit the Jacksonville area around 8 am on Friday so they should be able to cruise Friday night and be back to Jacksonville as planned on Saturday morning.

I think we can safely assume now that the cruise ship will not visit the Bahamas on this trip. Rename it the "Key West Cruise".
Pretty glad that at least our friends didn't pick that cruise.
Still unsure about what what will happen with ours, Carnival's next update is 8pm. Seems like they'll go, but we'll see.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #159
Senior Member
 
101TUG's Avatar
 
City: Gustavia
Country: St Barth
Vessel Name: Super MAN
Vessel Model: Terranova Explorer
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 208
incroyable video from sat

Vu de l'espace, l'ouragan Matthew survole Haïti, Cuba et la Jamaïque - L'Express
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #160
Senior Member
 
Bigsfish's Avatar
 
City: Miami River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 106
Sitting in the Miami River a stones throw from Hop Car and it has been nonstop traffic of boats looking for berths. At this point I'm waiting before doing extra work. Tomorrow will be the day one way of the other.
Good luck everyone.
__________________

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012