Old 10-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #101
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
This is a special weather statement on Carnival Cruise Line's website, changing the itinerary of a cruise that left Jacksonville at 4pm today:

Carnival Elation – 10/3/16 departure
We will need to cancel our calls in Half Moon Cay and Nassau and replace them with a visit to Key West and Freeport. Please find the new itinerary below.

Day Port Arrival Departure
Mon Jacksonville, FL 4:00PM
Tue Fun Day @ Sea
Wed Key West 8:00AM 8:00PM
Thu Fun Day @ Sea
Fri Freeport, The Bahamas 7:00AM 2:00PM
Sat Jacksonville, FL 7:00AM

So Thursday, they'll be going from Key West East over to the Bahamas?
That's the exact time that Mathew is supposed to hit the Bahamas as a Cat4/Cat5 storm.

That "Fun Day at Sea" on Thursday might be really something.
It's amazing what they'll do to not cancel a trip. They don't care if thy have to turn right around and reverse course and certainly not if they have to skip stops. They do care about cancelling and having to return money. Amazing the cruise ships in the Bahamas during Joaquin. They're cancelling Nassau and scheduling Freeport, but they know they may have to cancel Freeport as well. As long as they get to Key West and back, they'll consider it a good trip.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #102
Guru

Hurricane Question

Wifey B: Where do you want to be? Home? Near your things? With family and friends? Far away from the hurricane. Seems simple until you face the choices. We have people looking after things for us in South Florida, nothing we need to be there to do. Chicago is safe. Yet, we're feeling bad like we should fly home and be there with them even though we don't think it's coming there. If you decide to fly home, what day? What about family in Myrtle Beach? Should we tell them to fly here? We would choose all our stuff getting destroyed before someone badly hurt protecting any of it. We really are torn over this. We have air tickets for Wednesday morning, just in case we want to go home. We could have them all come here, but if we were there, we wouldn't be leaving based on what we know right now. Guess we'll follow it more tomorrow and think more.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #103
Guru

Now, they're all moving to the west and the cone has moved considerably. Obviously not a firm forecast of any sort, but certainly worth further noting. All ensemble models have moved west from where they were at 4:00 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #104

City: Bucksport, Maine
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
"They do care about cancelling and having to return money"

Since I'm scheduled to depart Tampa on a cruise on Carnival this Thursday, I studied up on this a bit. If they cancel due to weather?...no refunds, as it's something that is out of their control.
Sad but true. We have 20 folks heading out, not a one bought insurance

"Due to the nature of a cruise vacation, itinerary changes sometimes become necessary for safety, weather or other reasons beyond the control of Carnival. If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival’s exclusive control, including but not limited to safety, security, weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns or problems not known to Carnival, itinerary changes consistent with U.S. State Department travel warnings / advisories or other applicable US or foreign governmental advisories, guests will not be provided any compensation. Guests electing to cancel will be subject to the standard cancellation terms. "

So stay tuned
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #105

Looks like it's popping back up to Cat 5 soon.

I think the further South you are in Florida, the better you may be, unless it draws crosshairs on Miami/Ft. Laud.

But if it's path comes in at Melbourne or Jacksonville...might not be too bad. Maybe make the run over to Ft Meyers/Naples.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #106
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post

"Due to the nature of a cruise vacation, itinerary changes sometimes become necessary for safety, weather or other reasons beyond the control of Carnival. If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival’s exclusive control, including but not limited to safety, security, weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns or problems not known to Carnival, itinerary changes consistent with U.S. State Department travel warnings / advisories or other applicable US or foreign governmental advisories, guests will not be provided any compensation. Guests electing to cancel will be subject to the standard cancellation terms. "

So stay tuned
My understanding is that if they cancel the cruise, you get a future cruise, but if you cancel, no compensation. However, if they start the cruise, and you only go 50 miles, there is no compensation of any type. It's itinerary changes. Now, that may have changed, but last I knew.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #107
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
6 PM Monday cone forecast sure has it moving left.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #108
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Well, the weather forecast isn't looking any better. Hopefully it will stay east. We're on the hard within a mile of the entrance to the St Johns River, JAX. My optimism says this will only be a pia. I hope I'm right. We watched the local evening news a little while ago.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #109
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Cant believe Carnival would launch out of Jax and then head for Key West. Makes no sense, and no way would I be on that boat.

I feel there's enough risk out of Tampa on Thurs for Lobstah... I wouldn't be on that one either but stands a much better chance.

However, Im just not a cruiser... BTDT eat and drink way too much and get ripped off at every port and fight crowds....no thanks. I would rather be on my own or a friends boat.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #110

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Cant believe Carnival would launch out of Jax and then head for Key West. Makes no sense, and no way would I be on that boat.

I feel there's enough risk out of Tampa on Thurs for Lobstah... I wouldn't be on that one either but stands a much better chance.

However, Im just not a cruiser... BTDT eat and drink way too much and get ripped off at every port and fight crowds....no thanks. I would rather be on my own or a friends boat.
All like you
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #111
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Meanwhile, we're experiencing some drizzle and gentle winds, with no apparent weather threat here. ... Good luck to you eastern coasters.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
My understanding is that if they cancel the cruise, you get a future cruise, but if you cancel, no compensation. However, if they start the cruise, and you only go 50 miles, there is no compensation of any type. It's itinerary changes. Now, that may have changed, but last I knew.
Hope that's the case. Hope even more that we don't have the opportunity to find out first hand

Either way, it's still a "first world" problem, and we'll be ok. Might end up taking a little unforseen motor home trip insteead.
It's good to have options.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #113
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
My boat is at my dock on the Miami River and we have gone through all the Hurricanes for the last 25 years with no problems. At this point I am not planning on doing anything extra but that may change in the next day or two with doubling the lines and adding fenders. Hopefully it will go west of Miami.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post

I don't get ripped off, at least not much, and I might eat a bit too much, but it sure is great to just spend time out on the water.
Get my coffee at 5am, head on up to the deck, and just enjoy being "out there".
Old 10-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #115
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Well this is really starting to look like number four for me. Grace is still out in Ocracoke and that looks to be about the worst place you can be. I'm heading back to the boat tomorrow and try to make a bumpy run across the Pamlico Sound on Wed to try and find a hiding spot either in Adams Creek or further up toward New Bern. There just aren't any good places to hide in Eastern NC for this one.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #116

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
My boat is at my dock on the Miami River and we have gone through all the Hurricanes for the last 25 years with no problems. At this point I am not planning on doing anything extra but that may change in the next day or two with doubling the lines and adding fenders. Hopefully it will go west of Miami.
Attache fender by down eye to the other fender opposite side...
Fenders are not going to fly or move???
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #117
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've experienced two hurricanes in cruise ships, including 50-foot waves. No big problem, but planned ports and open decks can be unavailable.

Have also experienced rescuing sailboaters at sea, collision, and mechanical/electrical failures while on cruise ships. On balance, those events were positive adventures.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #118
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
[QUOTE=markpierce;485646]Meanwhile, we're experiencing some drizzle and gentle winds, with no apparent weather threat here. ... Good luck to you eastern coasters.[/QUOTE

And you west coasters!

http://www.king5.com/news/local/7-ea...-not/328689465
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #119
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
101Tug. Good idea but I can only tie up to the dock on one side. Prayers works in situations like this and football bets. LOL
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #120
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I'm heading back to the boat tomorrow and try to make a bumpy run across the Pamlico Sound on Wed to try and find a hiding spot either in Adams Creek or further up toward New Bern. There just aren't any good places to hide in Eastern NC for this one.
Mark....the Hurricane Kid!....you must be a glutten for punishment. This time, get us a selfie of you holding on to the pulpit rail while spitting Mathew's eye right in the eye! You do still have that storm anchor, don't you?

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote