Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #41

City: South Florida
Why don't you just hangout in the South Caribbean in the Trinidad neighborhood? No Hurricanes.

Has to better than living ashore LOL

[QUOTE=101TUG;484860
we living all year long onboard since 10 years , I'm really tired of hurricane season, if one day we going back on shore that only for that reason.
Hugues[/QUOTE]

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #42
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. K. HAH! Posted 3 minutes before you. Great minds...

Old 09-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #43

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Super MAN
Vessel Model: Terranova Explorer
guys you nice but our life is in ST Barth have job, kids going at school, if we bring boat to Trinidad or other place for 5 months what we doing living on dock ?
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #44

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Last hunter measured Cat 5 winds. I wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded the storm to Cat 5 later this evening.

And it still has some very warm water in front of it...
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #45

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Waiting for a blow here in marathon and have reserved a mooring in boot key harbor. Not expect ing a full hurricane but want the opinion to go or not. We are going to keep abreast of what it coming and will stay at the dock if it goes thru the Bahamas,as we are expecting wind to 50+ with gusts. As long as it stays east of us we will stay at the dock and prepare for the worst.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #46
Enigma

City: Slicker?
M. 101. Rats! (M*rde) Back to the matter at hand...Matthew. (Grandson named Matthew-He's at the "terrible two" stage)
Old 09-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #47
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
It's projected to hit Jamaica as a CAT 3 and that will do considerable damage there. Then forecast to reduce to a CAT 2. Right now it's a very strong CAT 4, so I agree brief CAT 5 wouldn't be surprising. Just hoping it's down to a 3 by the time it gets to Jamaica.

The paths show low likelihood of South Florida but still we're all on alert. Everything there prepared. If it comes through as a 2 or less we do nothing special. 4 or 5 or even 3 directly then evacuation is a consideration. In our case, we're in Chicago at the moment so we're personally safe.

No posts today from Capt Bill. I think he may very well be either getting out of Cuba or planning to. A lot has happened with this storm the last 48 hours. The next 48 will definitely merit close attention.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
I live/work as a Defense Contractor on a US Navy base in Andros Island, Bahamas. The Navy weather center in Jacksonville feels pretty confident Matthew is headed this way and will be evacuating all of us on Sunday. The southeastern islands from Acklins to Long & Cat Islands took some serious beatings last year, they certainly don't need a visit from Matthew this year. As for me, upon evacuation I'll return to Ft. Pierce and get Tuna Talk prepared should Matthew drift westerly. Been living on Andros Island for 19 years and been evacuated approximately 10 times. Other than hurricane preps to secure the base prior to evac, it's not too bad a couple days in West Palm Beach! In 2005, we came back to over 300 mature trees downed, 3 roofs damaged and 3 boats washed up on shore. That was a "M" named storm, Michelle! Please, no repeat.
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #49

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Super MAN
Vessel Model: Terranova Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
M. 101. Rats! (M*rde) Back to the matter at hand...Matthew. (Grandson named Matthew-He's at the "terrible two" stage)
I was close to pass away 2 time during hurricane :bang head: but good still here but tired about hurricane season ... and more easy on shore
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:59 AM   #50
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I think I'll start my early hurricane prep work tomorrow. I'll secure my boat so I don't have to worry about it. I'll be able to prep my house and store if it starts to look worse for Miami on Monday.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:29 AM   #51

Went to Cat 5 last night, now predicted to hit Jamaica as a Cat 4.
There's just too much ocean heat for any substantial weakening.

Looks like Jamaica Mon morning, and eastern Cuba Mon evening, both Cat 4 events.

Thoughts out to those that are dealing with the impact of this.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:13 AM   #52

The EMCWF model this morning is calling for an "OTS" (out-to-sea) scenario, while the GFS run now hugs the coast all the way up to New England.

I don't usually vote in favor of Europe over the US, but in this case?... def hope the Euro model wins.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #53
TF Site Team

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
The EMCWF model this morning is calling for an "OTS" (out-to-sea) scenario, while the GFS run now hugs the coast all the way up to New England.

I don't usually vote in favor of Europe over the US, but in this case?... def hope the Euro model wins.
Actually, I believe that over the years the EMCWF model has the best track record of any of them. That is my recollection, anyway.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #54
Guru

Quote:

Now back to the upper range of a CAT 4 and forecast again to hit Jamaica as a CAT 3 around Monday morning, although tropical storm to Jamaica much ahead of that. Then Cuba around 2:00 AM on Tuesday as a CAT 2 and the Bahamas as a CAT 2. However, the cone showing possibilities does include Florida and the entire US coast even though only one of the many models shows it hitting Florida. Wednesday and Thursday are now the critical days for possible US hit with direction becoming more predictable by Monday morning.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #55

Wunderground/Dr. Masters still looking at Cat 3 hitting Cuba. I'm sticking with that.
As mentioned before, the NHC models have difficulty with intensity, by their own admission. Don't see any thing in it's path to weaken it from a 4 to a 2 before Cuba.
Don't get me wrong, I sincerely hope that it does...just don't see it happening.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #56

All eyes are on the turn at this point, and here's an example of why:
"If this steering does not change, and so far there is no evidence that it will, the current forecast turn will not occur as forecast. IMO there is an increasing probability that Matthew will continue on a more wnw track and NW track towards the NW Caribbean before turning north towards the GOM and the west coast of Florida peninsular."

The turn has been the unknown and so far unpredictable portion of forecasting the track, with multiple elements in play, any one of which has a pretty dramatic impact on where Mathew goes.

We're supposed to be leaving on a cruise next Thurs out of Tampa, group of 20, some locals, some from New England...
Still not sure that's going to happen.

C'mon, euro!!!
Old 10-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #57
TF Site Team

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
C'mon, euro!!!
Yup. Steer that puppy to the East! We do not need any more of that stuff up here on the west side of the peninsula, thank you very much.

There are still people in some of the more remote areas around here who have not yet had their power restored from Hermine.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #58

Last night I was starting to relax.
This morning?...not so much.
Mathew has so far refused to turn. The longer the turn is delayed, the closer to US landfall and the closer to Florida landfall.
Consensus seems to be that if there's no turn in the next 4-6hrs, all bets are off, and we've got some real problems headed our way.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #59

We now have a "stall"...could be good news, if it heads north when movement resumes.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #60
Guru

If anything in looking at many models, they appear to be consolidating somewhat. The consensus now has it skirting Jamaica as a 3 and then direct hit on Eastern Cuba as a 2. It has lost some power already as it peaked around 155 mph and is now down to 140 mph. Many models do see it dropping to a 2 but perhaps becoming a 3 again in the Bahamas or after crossing them. Models now all have it continuing north but the distance from the US coast varies from safely off shore to skirting to direct hits and making landfall anywhere from South Florida to New England.

Certainly a storm to continue to follow closely.