Old 10-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #441
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Ted! Looks like it's time to look at those stabilizers for outside adventures! Otherwise, you might never get here.
With or without stabilizers, I'm not going out around Diamond Shoals (Cape Hatteras) NC in the fall in a 7 knot boat! Neither Oregon inlet (Nags Head) nor Hatteras inlet are currently safe to navigate. Going from Norfolk to Morehead city (or maybe Ocacroke inlet) is just plain foolish this time of year!

Ted

O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #442
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
With or without stabilizers, I'm not going out around Diamond Shoals (Cape Hatteras) NC in the fall in a 7 knot boat! Neither Oregon inlet (Nags Head) nor Hatteras inlet are currently safe to navigate. Going from Norfolk to Morehead city (or maybe Ocacroke inlet) is just plain foolish this time of year!

Ted
I'm in complete agreement. I'll just keep plodding south til' I can't go any further and hope for the best.

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #443
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Ted! Looks like it's time to look at those stabilizers for outside adventures! Otherwise, you might never get here.
That was going to be my suggestion is to consider running some of it outside. Still from the Chesapeake he has to deal with the Virginia Cut (assuming he doesn't want to do a long run around Hatteras) and even there it looks like there may be problems.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #444
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While going outside may seem like a good option, near coastal is going to have lots of floating debris from the storm. It's going to be ugly for a few weeks to a month. Also, inlets may have lost some buoys and there could be shoaling that changes the channels. If you have the capacity to go way off shore and only use large commercial inlets or avoid the inlets until you reach your destination, then outside may be an option. For most of us traveling South, this time of year isn't an option for the off shore run.

Ted
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:27 AM   #445
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
While going outside may seem like a good option, near coastal is going to have lots of floating debris from the storm. It's going to be ugly for a few weeks to a month. Also, inlets may have lost some buoys and there could be shoaling that changes the channels. If you have the capacity to go way off shore and only use large commercial inlets or avoid the inlets until you reach your destination, then outside may be an option. For most of us traveling South, this time of year isn't an option for the off shore run.

Ted
I understand. Last year when the floods came we pretty much followed Capt Bill home as he ran straight from Charleston to Fort Lauderdale and we ran the next day from Georgetown to Fort Lauderdale. With us, it was just get us out of this. We didn't see as much in the way of debris as expected, but every storm is different. Coming from the Chesapeake south right now, just seems to be a bit like wading through a mine field. We'd still do it, but carefully and prepared to stop at any point anytime if we felt it was warranted.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #446
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Just very, very glad that our N.C. members seemed to have survived. We were worried about them! Yard salad can be cleaned up. Sunk boats . . . somewhat more of a problem.
We should have checked in too! Skinny Dippin is good to go! We lost power here at home for a day and a half, no damage. Flooding between here and there may keep us away from the boat for a little while. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	57251  
Besslb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:53 AM   #447
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Floating debris should be cleared out pretty quick, and if not, they are at least floating.

Sunken hazards will be recognized in many areas pretty quick....by the sheer volume of traffic.

Within a few days, recreational traffic will increase as I would guess commercial is already plying parts of the ICW. The USCG will be making aid surveys and have to run many of the skinny parts of the I CW.

Wander away from the channel like after Sandy and no telling what you may find in areas that had major wash through, but my guess and hope is that the channel will be relatively free of debris and some sand bard may have shifted .

A few brave souls should be reporting in as the days go by.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #448
TF Site Team

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
....The USCG will be making aid surveys and have to run many of the skinny parts of the I CW...
I talked to the USCG from Mayport on Sunday afternoon when they were at the boatyard. They had already done the aids to navigation for our area, though I'm not sure what our area encompasses but it sounded like they were right on it.

Debris is another issue. Yesterday, there was still a lot of junk floating down the St. John's.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #449
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I talked to the USCG from Mayport on Sunday afternoon when they were at the boatyard. They had already done the aids to navigation for our area, though I'm not sure what our area encompasses but it sounded like they were right on it.

Debris is another issue. Yesterday, there was still a lot of junk floating down the St. John's.
Larry, is it tidal where you are discussing?

My experience is stuff sloshes back and forth as the high tides dislodge it from its first wash up and the clocking winds blow it back into the current.

Usually on most smaller rivers and coastal creeks, after a dozen or so cycles with some strong clocking winds or one particular high tide and the larger debris drop off dramaticalky.

But some long rivers always take a bit longer...depending on how quickly they drop in volume.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #450
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
My experience with shoaling in many hurricanes... is that sand does not move too much. Unless a new inlet opens up, then everything changes fast.

During the storm the water is high and inlets deep. Current usually is not moving that fast so not much sand is moving.

I go out on my jonboat and survey my inlet, Mason's, at the N end of Wrightsville beach after each 'cane. Usually sand is mostly where it was prior. This is an unmarked inlet, but usually deep enough for my 38 to get out. Saves a heck of a lot of time over going all the way down to Masonboro. 1mi to ocean vs about six.

We get more sand moving on lunar tides when it gets real low.

You guys be careful at green can 123. As usual it is shoaling bad on SE side of channel and if you get close to the can you are going to eat it. Hug the docks. This was going on before the storm.

I have not done the jonboat survey yet, waiting for water vis to improve, will take a few days. Will report back.

The Coasties need to move the can again. Seatow and BoatUS are licking their chops for the fall migration, again.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #451
TF Site Team

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Larry, is it tidal where you are discussing?

My experience is stuff sloshes back and forth as the high tides dislodge it from its first wash up and the clocking winds blow it back into the current.

Usually on most smaller rivers and coastal creeks, after a dozen or so cycles with some strong clocking winds or one particular high tide and the larger debris drop off dramaticalky.

But some long rivers always take a bit longer...depending on how quickly they drop in volume.
Yes, it's tidal but it's also slow moving. The St John's River has a lot of smaller rivers and large drainage areas feeding it. The total fall from Stanford to it's mouth, about 200 miles, is ~30'. No wonder they call it the lazy river.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #452
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I can understand why Alligator/Pungo Canal is closed (falling trees and debris dislodged from flooding), but ALL of Bouge Sound? Wow!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #453
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Lost power for 3 days....as expected.

Also had three trees fall over the road with the single access to our property and 8 others. A couple of the trees took down power lines. The road was cleared late the next day.

The St Johns rose about a foot over the plankings of our dock. I figure the total river rise was about 4 ft over normal high tide, some due to rain levels and some due to storm surge. The boat and kayaks escaped without issue. Today, the river is still above normal but down about 2 feet.

While the power was out we took an escape vacation to Steinhatchee only to find Hermine had flooded it a month or so earlier. The restaurant we ate at had markings where the water had risen 2 ft above the floor. We had to stay in a second floor motel room since the first floor units had been largely demolished. I kind of wonder if the town will survive but we enjoyed the stay, even if nothing was open for breakfast.

I imagine Apalachicola and Carrabelle had a similar experience.

Wondering about the advisability of getting a 20KW genny for the land home but I suspect it will another 12 years before northeast Florida has a similar event.

Oh yeah, we have been working 3 days removing yard debris and still plenty to go. Why didn't I buy a house on a smaller lot??? Duh....

Also, we saw 6 of the 10 USCG vessels we saw heading south, returning north on Saturday. I suspect the last 4 were headed north on Sunday after we took off to West FL.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #454
TF Site Team

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
I imagine Apalachicola and Carrabelle had a similar experience.
Nope. Neither of them touched by Hermine. Max winds about 35 MPH and no storm surge to speak of (nothing worse than an ordinary high tide)

This info comes from a friend who lives in Carrabelle, so I cannot personally vouch for it. But I have no reason to think he would say it if it were not true.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #455
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I can understand why Alligator/Pungo Canal is closed (falling trees and debris dislodged from flooding), but ALL of Bouge Sound? Wow!
I think Bogue Sound may be open now. If I'm reading it correctly, it's showing open on the CG site as are basically all NC ports. It shows that happening today. Now, there were also rumors the AICW was closed for a long distance and I don't remember between what points. However, that was wrong and circulated simply because it was closed to boats over 500 tons.