Old 10-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #401
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Hurricane Matthew?

Wow. That's some serious wind. Were you on a mooring ball? Did you also put out an anchor? Was it protected or choppy water?

Just trying to learn what to do in such an event since I have only anchored in about 25-30 overnight, and that freaked me out. I anchored out in the Mississippi sound one night and got the wind forecast wrong. I was completely unprotected most of the night and it pushed me too close to shallows. Had breaking waves.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #402
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
We are at Atlantic Yacht Basin in Chesapeake VA. Matthew arrived late yesterday afternoon.

Survived a wild night of wind and torrential rain. Adjusted fenders twice during the night due to line stretch and boat moving forward/aft. Dock is under water this AM. Rain has finally stopped. Still windy. Shore power is working just fine as is the dock wifi. All is well😀

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #403
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Wild winds on the Chesapeake today. Rappahannock Light had north winds 50 knots gusting to 58 an hour ago. Good day to stay hunkered down.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #404
Veteran Member

City: Fort McAllister, Ga
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
My Mainship 390 came thru unscathed at Fort McAllister Marina south of Savannah but there is evidence the boat was really tossed around. One guy told me it was pitching so much he could see my running gear.
Lots of damage and a sunk Sea Ray. Fixed dock used to be straight, but now has a large S shape. Large oaks knocked over in my yard down the street. When the storm passed we had 90 mph winds from the west that did most of the damage.
Been here 30 years, never had a hit like Matthew.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #405
Guru

City: Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
We had 43 knots gusting to 52 knots on Delaware Bay today. Pretty wild rides on the CMLF.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #406
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Greetings from Ocracoke. Winds at 4:00 were 65 gusting over 80. Things are better today at 40mph. At least the rain is all but gone. It would be nice to have shore power but we're not complaining.
Well Mark: just another notch in the ole belt for you. Looks like NC got the worst but at least the models don't have it circling back here again. Good riddance, Matthew!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #407

City: Savannah, GA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Hey Pluto!

We're just across the marsh at coffee bluff. I was worried about you guys, we saw them reporting from fish tails on the news and it looked bad. We came close to the top of the pilings but we were otherwise well protected by the bluff to the north.

No shore power yet but they are working hard here in the neighborhood. Huge props to the linemen out there
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #408
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Unfortunately this boat won't be seeing a future I fear. This was behind my sister's house near Southport, NC. That is the middle of a marsh that won't see water again until the next hurricane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20161009_220205.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	57188
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:00 PM   #409
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I rode it out here just inland from the N end of Wrightsville beach. Front side of storm, no big deal. Sea came up about 4-5', typical stuff. Wind pretty fresh out of the E to SE. Docks and boats doing fine. Maybe 40kts.

So in the lull, or eye remnant, we go to a bud's house and drink some beers and eat some grub. Come back to the dock, tide has dropped a bit, winds light, all's well.

Wake up and all hell is breaking loose. The backside of this thing was a biatch. Way more wind than the front side. If front side was 40kts, back side was 80kts. That's where stuff got tore up.

Can't complain too much, 80kts is really nothing in storm terms.

47 tons of ground up salad to clean up. That is the worst of it, and not complaining.

Old Kubota logged 36hrs and did not miss a beat. Neighbors came over to cook and wash, that resulted in some very good eating on my part.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #410
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Daddyo: I would expect the boat you are showing in the pic. to be back in the water within a week or two. If not, let me know and I will snatch her out. Probably not much damage and an easy salvage.
ulysses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:31 PM   #411

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
I agree. Remove the running gear and get a tug to pull her out. Probably won't even need plastic to pull her bottom over.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #412
FOG

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I rode it out here just inland from the N end of Wrightsville beach. Front side of storm, no big deal. Sea came up about 4-5', typical stuff. Wind pretty fresh out of the E to SE. Docks and boats doing fine. Maybe 40kts.

So in the lull, or eye remnant, we go to a bud's house and drink some beers and eat some grub. Come back to the dock, tide has dropped a bit, winds light, all's well.

Wake up and all hell is breaking loose. The backside of this thing was a biatch. Way more wind than the front side. If front side was 40kts, back side was 80kts. That's where stuff got tore up.

Can't complain too much, 80kts is really nothing in storm terms.

47 tons of ground up salad to clean up. That is the worst of it, and not complaining.

Old Kubota logged 36hrs and did not miss a beat. Neighbors came over to cook and wash, that resulted in some very good eating on my part.
The backside got us just off of Middle Sound Loop by knocking down a good size oak in our front yard around 9 pm last night. Not complaining about that and the yard salad I still have to clean up.
But didn't like having to go out in the 80kts to shut off the water fountain I had coming from the main supply to the house that the tree's root system pulled up.
However, I was relieved when I saw that the boat was afloat and still in it's slip, as now I only have to deal with the home stuff.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:46 AM   #413
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
The backside got us just off of Middle Sound Loop by knocking down a good size oak in our front yard around 9 pm last night. Not complaining about that and the yard salad I still have to clean up.
But didn't like having to go out in the 80kts to shut off the water fountain I had coming from the main supply to the house that the tree's root system pulled up.
However, I was relieved when I saw that the boat was afloat and still in it's slip, as now I only have to deal with the home stuff.
We have friends near Wilmington and talked to them tonight. Much as you experienced. A lot of things to be picked up in the yards and trash carried by the flooding but safe and no damage to their home.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:53 AM   #414
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
FOG, "Yard Salad" perfect description. I know exactly what you mean.

If you have a neighbor close enough, run a garden hose to his house, pick up a double female swivel at the hardware store, attach the other end of the hose to your house and back feed the water into your system until you can get the broken pipe fixed. Don't forget to shut off the broken pipe at the house end.

It's nice to be able to flush toilets. Remember, If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down. Actually that's only the rule if you're flushing by poring buckets of water in the toilet.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #415
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
I agree. Remove the running gear and get a tug to pull her out. Probably won't even need plastic to pull her bottom over.

2 things can impact that plan.....

One, if the boat is down in a hole, even a little bit, it can make a simple pull involve a lot more strain on the pull....

Two, there may not be much deep water to pull across with a tug.....winching may be easier and more controlled.

Some salvages go easy, some not so easy.....it is something simple that throws the wrench in many salvage plans.....like the state environmental people won't even let you pull it over the marsh grass without protection or at all.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #416

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
Psnleed

Good points all.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #417
Veteran Member

City: Southport, NC
Vessel Name: Shangri-La
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Hello from Hilton Head. We left the boat at a face dock in Shelter Cove marina, fearing the worst from storm surge. Video from local residents showed the marina getting bounced around pretty good. Text from dockmaster after the storm "all is good." Subsequent video shows Shangri-La lounging at the dock. Shelter Cove lived up to it's name after this direct hit. Now waiting for green light to return to our home.

Feel so bad for folks in Palmetto Bay. Total carnage.

Eat Life -
NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #418
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
DIRT FREE is up the Sassafras river and hoping to move down to Annapolis tomorrow.
Anyone know if there is room to anchor in Weems Creek right now ?
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #419
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
US Army helicopter drops an entire boat full of Navy Seals in the sea
Easy salvage. Playing Flight of the Valkyries over big speakers makes it even easier.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #420
Veteran Member

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43
My boat, which was tied up in Beaufort, NC, fared well. Only a broken bow line and a bit of scuffing against a piling.

My hometown of Fayetteville, with 15 inches of rain from Matthew, and 10 inches less than 10 days prior, did not...

ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote