Old 10-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #321
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
But I did see where one of the Presidential hopefuls will stop hurricanes from forming in Africa and the Atlantic by implementing stage 3 of the Kyoto Treaty or some such action.
Anyway; glad Fla seems to have dodged a bullet.

Regarding the ICW. With all the runoff there's going to be a LOT of debris for a couple days. Tree limbs, tires, road debris etc etc floating. If your schedule allows, Wait a bit. Probably better to venture offshore if possible for a couple inlets to avoid all the crap in the water.

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #322

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 280 Sundancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Join Active Captain if you haven't already and stay up on the reviews and comments ahead of you. Also make sure your using current electronic NOAA charts and update them daily.
How do you update charts daily?

Old 10-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #323
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Thus far PS this appears to have been the sensible approach for FL. The coiffed weather heads seem focused on ratings, job security and Twitter hits. The sad story is Haiti, no where to run and hide from those airborne tin roofs.

But I did see where one of the Presidential hopefuls will stop hurricanes from forming in Africa and the Atlantic by implementing stage 3 of the Kyoto Treaty or some such action.
back in post 242 I mentioned how none of the talking heads were mentioning the coast being in the safer semicircle and the speed of the storm...they were just talking... "horrific destruction".

while I don't take hurricanes lightly, they are what they are and the wait and see, then scramble approach has worked better for me. It forces a better understanding of theIr impact...and no, I can't forecast even close to the professionals.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #324
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
While there are still a lot of warnings and reports of imminent doom and while the hurricane could still take a bad turn, as it's headed now, looks like most of us in the US will have experienced the equivalent of a tropical storm or a CAT 1. There is a tremendous difference between 80 mph winds and 130 mph winds. Things in South Florida pretty much getting back to normal today. Hopefully the rest of the coast not but a day or two behind. This also applies to storm surge so far. The areas of 4-6' forecast, didn't top 3'.

It sure is difficult getting news from other places, from the Bahamas to Cuba to Haiti. From what I've heard, it seems like most of the Bahamas was skirted much as Florida, so far, rather than head on hits. Jamaica the same way. Haiti hit directly and perhaps the eastern edge of Cuba. We're so use to heavy television and radio reporting in the US and many of these areas have very little.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #325

City: 616 Daniel Island, SC
ICW and the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Great.... another 'line in the sand' to prevaricate over.

Anyway; glad Fla seems to have dodged a bullet.

Regarding the ICW. With all the runoff there's going to be a LOT of debris for a couple days. Tree limbs, tires, road debris etc etc floating. If your schedule allows, Wait a bit. Probably better to venture offshore if possible for a couple inlets to avoid all the crap in the water.
ICW is going to be a mess for next couple of weeks. Very unpredictable depths
wrwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #326
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwahl View Post
ICW is going to be a mess for next couple of weeks. Very unpredictable depths
I think that depends on the area and also what happens from this point on. In our area there's likely no impact. Much depends still on the surge north.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #327

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
I'm in Miami and I think I lost 6 or 7 leaves, my daughter is in Boca and her plastic patio furniture turned over, my son is in Melbourne and he lost two limbs off a large tree. I know Haiti lost many lives but that happens in a summer rain because of building conditions.
Much of this storm paranoia is perpetrated by the media who feeds itself on its own predictions. Local media were saying lives will be lost, but that is true every day storm
Or no storm.
Now we can get back to normal.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #328

City: Savannah, GA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Thanks for the updates everyone. We're in Savannah and are well sheltered from the north winds. Unfortunately our pilings at the marina are too short for our liking. We are headed up hill to a friends house. Please keep the surge reports coming!

Safe passage to everyone else waiting their turn with matthew
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #329
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
I'm in Miami and I think I lost 6 or 7 leaves, my daughter is in Boca and her plastic patio furniture turned over, my son is in Melbourne and he lost two limbs off a large tree. I know Haiti lost many lives but that happens in a summer rain because of building conditions.

Much of this storm paranoia is perpetrated by the media who feeds itself on its own predictions. Local media were saying lives will be lost, but that is true every day storm

Or no storm.

Now we can get back to normal.

I am very glad that you and your family were not impacted by Matthew. It appears to me that Florida was very fortunate. As I sit here on the upper left-hand corner of the continental US, it appears that the storm could just have easily moved further East and caused even less of an issue. On the other hand, if Matthew had moved to the West side of its projected course, it could have been much, much worse. My concern would be that given this experience, the next time a Cat4 hurricane approaches the East coast folks will simply ignore it since "Much of this storm paranoia is perpetrated by the media who feeds itself on its own predictions."

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #330

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
BTW Matthew was reduced to a cat 3 before it made landfall, most of the recorded wind velocities I saw were 50 and 60 mph which isn't a hurricane.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #331
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Between boats
This morning seeing the casualty numbers out of Haiti. Very sad.

The casualty numbers are the shocking headline -but there the other 1,000's of people now without food or shelter.

Mark
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #332
Guru

Haiti remains a place for tremendous human tragedy from earthquake to hurricanes to cholera. People shouldn't have to live like that. I feel for them.

Whether people will treat the next one more lightly here because of this one not materializing into it's worse, history has said surprisingly "no." People didn't treat this one lightly after over 10 years. They didn't treat Andrew or Wilma lightly. We just don't react with the drama of television, but prepare the same. You have certain preparation and you just do it.

Now, the one area in which all north of South Florida treat things a bit lightly, up the coast all the way, is construction. Andrew changed that in South Florida. Homes built since then are built to hurricane standards. Also for those built before, insurers are continuing to cause change. I have a friend in Pompano who redid all his doors and windows this year simply because the payback on insurance was so great. He also put on a new roof because the house was in need and it had to be to current standards. I grew up seeing homes along the NC coast destroyed year after year, even without hurricanes, due to the poor standards of building. I don't know how much that has changed now.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #333
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan View Post
This morning seeing the casualty numbers out of Haiti. Very sad.

The casualty numbers are the shocking headline -but there the other 1,000's of people now without food or shelter.

Mark
There were over 50,000 homeless before this. No telling how many now.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #334
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
How do you update charts daily?
Many/most of the PC based nav programs allow you to update your charts whenever the USCG makes a chart change (East Coast, dozens of times a day). I use Polar View software.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #335
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Between boats
There are a lot of inlets along the Florida coast that local knowledge just went out the window. St. Augustine comes to mind that inlet seemed like it was always in constant change - who knows what the routing is now.

Mark
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #336
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Many/most of the PC based nav programs allow you to update your charts whenever the USCG makes a chart change (East Coast, dozens of times a day). I use Polar View software.
Even NOAA are updated online constantly. Don't just purchase navigation equipment and continue to use the charts on it at the time of purchase.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #337
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
BTW Matthew was reduced to a cat 3 before it made landfall, most of the recorded wind velocities I saw were 50 and 60 mph which isn't a hurricane.
The winds on the western side (navigable semicircle) are often less....they are exactly less by the forward movent of the hurricane at least. Gusts of course don't count.

Also, this mave have looked like a large storm...but for days, the intense winds weren't very far from the eye, so a near miss meant substantially less wind.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #338
Guru

Word on surge

From wunderground:
The National Hurricane Center is issuing potential storm surge flooding maps, and prototype storm surge watch/warning graphics for Matthew. It is important to remember that the potential storm surge flooding map does not represent a forecast of expected inundation, but rather depicts a reasonable worst-case scenario -- the amount of inundation that has a 10 percent chance of being exceeded.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #339
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Even NOAA are updated online constantly. Don't just purchase navigation equipment and continue to use the charts on it at the time of purchase.
Howdy,
Yes that is what I'm saying. Update your charts constantly as they're changing everyday. NOAA charts are used by Polar View as well as many of the other PC nav systems. When traveling the ICW post-storm or not, use up to the moment online NOAA charts that are overlayed with Active Captain user data input.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #340
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I'm glad to report that it seems Moonstruck survived with no apparent damage. My captain and maintenance guy prepared the boat extremely well. I was talking to them on the phone for a day and a half. We decided to leave the boat prepared for a storm in case Matthew circles back.

Now, my concern is for Larry and Lena on Hobo. I think they are getting pounded by wind and surge now.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote