Old 10-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #281
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I am getting annoyed at some of the urges to evacuate from areas that aren't evacuation zones and statements like "it's never too late." First as to the evacuation. From where to where? From South Florida north into worse? Yes, west is ok. But the never too late is so wrong. The worst place to be is on the highway. So waiting until the last minute and jumping in the car is a very bad idea. Either plan early and move or just get to a nearby shelter or, if not in an evacuation zone, take precautions where you are. Winds starting to pick up in FLL. Squalls within next couple of hours.

Lots of webcams in our area:

https://www.sunny.org/webcam/

For those viewing from afar there are cams all the way up the coast. Those north of us are very calm right now, but won't be long.

Did just look at the Pompano Beach cam and one fool wading around in the surf. Saw on the Weather Channel where the reporter convinced someone it wasn't probably wise to try to slip in a mid day swim.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #282
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Port Condition Zulu issued in E. Fla. Ports.

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #283
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I am getting annoyed at some of the urges to evacuate from areas that aren't evacuation zones and statements like "it's never too late." First as to the evacuation. From where to where? From South Florida north into worse? Yes, west is ok. But the never too late is so wrong. The worst place to be is on the highway. So waiting until the last minute and jumping in the car is a very bad idea. Either plan early and move or just get to a nearby shelter or, if not in an evacuation zone, take precautions where you are. .
I just talked to a friend who lives on a creek in the town of Okeechobee. He said he was in Clearwater yesterday and everything was a parking lot going west.
He's back home now and said he already has branches falling in his yard.
Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #284
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
My prayers go out to any of you who may be impacted by this storm. Good luck.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #285

City: Jacksonville,Fl
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: Chien Hwa Senator 43
Thanks!!
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #286
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
One of the things that concern me most about this storm is that with most of the models showing the storm curving back towards the coast again, even though the winds would be greatly reduced, the rain could finish off a lot of damage that was done during the storm's first pass.

In 2005, Wilma took half of our roof from our home on Key Biscayne. Early next the next morning, I purchased all the tarps, tar and materials necessary to cover the damaged area, but the next day there wasn't a tarp to be found in all the Miami area. A rainstorm that followed serval days later did more damage to Miami then the hurricane itself, with so many roof and walls having no protection.

If Matthew returns to attack the coast again, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there were no supplies left to keep anything from further damage.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #287

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Here in marathon we are getting winds from the NW and a cloudy sky. No rain yet and a few gusts. Storm has moved north of our line and well hope for the best. Good luck to all in the path and hope everyone is ready for what will come overnight. Why always at night???
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #288
Guru

FLL: Light rain and 17 mph winds but supposed to pick up now.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #289
Guru

Outer band hitting us now in Longboat Key ( Gulf Coast), 30 mph gust, heavy rain.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #290

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
Local tv channel 6 nbc just announced "Hurricane threat over for Miami and becoming extremely extremely unlikely for Broward."

So much hype, so little storm! Drama, drama.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #291
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
All is not wasted Bigfish. It looks like the darn thing is going to go around and take another shot at us in about a week. Just think of it as good practice.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #292

LOL. I hope not. So far all the large ships going up and down the river have created enough mud stirred off the bottom to plug up my strainers for the AC.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #293

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 280 Sundancer
Quote:
I am getting annoyed at some of the urges to evacuate from areas that aren't evacuation zones and statements like "it's never too late." First as to the evacuation. From where to where? From South Florida north into worse? Yes, west is ok. But the never too late is so wrong. The worst place to be is on the highway. So waiting until the last minute and jumping in the car is a very bad idea. Either plan early and move or just get to a nearby shelter or, if not in an evacuation zone, take precautions where you are. Winds starting to pick up in FLL. Squalls within next couple of hours.

Lots of webcams in our area:

https://www.sunny.org/webcam/

For those viewing from afar there are cams all the way up the coast. Those north of us are very calm right now, but won't be long.

Did just look at the Pompano Beach cam and one fool wading around in the surf. Saw on the Weather Channel where the reporter convinced someone it wasn't probably wise to try to slip in a mid day swim.
BandB,

Couldn't agree more, and now could be too late for some folks. The highways get packed and just don't move, and agreed, being in a car is NOT good.

Just ran over to Lakeland and back from St. Pete early today and traffic westbound was significant.

The biggest risk for folks is flooding, especially during a severe storm when the water can get over the roof (after the roof has blown off).
Old 10-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #294
Guru

It's impossible to really feel better not being in it's worst area, but knowing how much damage will occur north of us.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #295
TF Site Team

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
It's impossible to really feel better not being in it's worst area, but knowing how much damage will occur north of us.
Yup. I stopped at an overpass in Tallahassee, where I-10 goes through, and the traffic in the west-bound lane was bumper to bumper, and moving very slowly. Guess some of those people will peel off and try to find a motel to stay in, but I doubt they will find any vacancies before, perhaps, Pensacola or even in Alabama. There, but for the grace of God, go I . . .
Old 10-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #296
Guru

Got a text from a live-aboard friend with a 43 Hatteras up in Fernandina Beach. His floating docks marina has 10 ft. posts and the surge is predicted at 9-11 ft. there. They ordered mandatory evac.....doesn't look too good.

Another Krogen buddy has his 39 tied up in a Freeport, Bahamas slip. That doesn't look too good either.

Right now, Weather Channel is picking Stuart for the bulls eye, a huge recreational cruising boat port including Headquarters for Krogen and it's brokerage. Thankfully, it's too early for snowbirds to be cruising south for winter.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #297
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Thankfully, it's too early for snowbirds to be cruising south for winter.
Not true. We met a couple at lunch in New Bern today that ducked up the Neuse River to wait it out, coming from Annapolis. A few Marina boats have already left....taking their time going south.

Hope all stay safe from the storm! Three days ago we were to take a direct hit, so Skinny Dippin' is prepared just in case!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #298

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
There will always be people that wait too long. Never understood why, other than there's a huge tendancy for people to not believe they're responsible for themselves.
Waiting until now to pull the trigger and head west is...well, pure lunacy.
You should have been heading west 2 days ago, regardless of what TWC and NHC said.
As I have said to others, what's the UPSIDE to staying where you are?...there is none.
Part of this problem is related to liability and lawyers. Maybe a big part. If you tell me that I have to evacuate, and it turns out there's no need, you owe me for hotel, lost work/whatever. So many people want someone else to be responsible.

Anyway, nothing to do now but count the damage in 2 days.

We passed under the Skyway Bridge about 1.5hrs ago. A bit rocky out there, beam seas, but nothing too bad, and the Paradise is a fairly small ship. I expect things will get more rolly as we pass the tip of Fl, but my thoughts go out to those of you along the coast. This is going to be bad or worse, no good to be found.
Stay safe...double up those lines...
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #299

"So many people want someone else to be responsible.". Or turning it around, people don't want to accept responsibility, evidence our politicians today.

Don't get me started my blood pressure will go up and I'll be writing for days.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #300
TF Site Team

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
"So many people want someone else to be responsible.". Or turning it around, people don't want to accept responsibility, evidence our politicians today.

Don't get me started my blood pressure will go up and I'll be writing for days.
Um, this is a useful thread. So don't get political, guys. You know what will happen then.