Old 10-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #181
Guru

City: kemah
So just a word of caution. The last time a big cane went thru SC it killed the debit card processors. The cards were down for a week I think.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #182
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
About an hour or so ago, the admiral and I were storm prepping the boat and kayaks on the dock when 4 USCG cutters came down the St Johns heading for a designated hurricane hole. Their wake was impressive. We are about 50 miles south of Jax. We are fairly certain we will lose power and it might be several days or even weeks before we get it back. The big question I have is how high will the St Johns rise at our location. Hopefully not more than 2 feet.
Donsan,

Wish you the best of luck, but 2 feet is awful optimistic.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #183
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Anybody in the Tampa Bay area doing anything with their boat?
Im in the Tampa area (Maderia Beach), but have done nothing. If it looks threatening I'm on a life so run it up high and tie it very tight with long spring lines. Add a few plywood panels to the windows of the house, and get out of town....
Old 10-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #184
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Lobstah I have no idea how long you have been following Florida bound hurricanes but I find the models to be extremely accurate currently versus those of 20-30-40 or even 50+ years ago. We don't know EXACTLY where this hurricane will make landfall but we have an educated quess that is being updated every 12 hours or so. I can live with the current prognostication.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #185

City: Bucksport, Maine
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Bigfish,
I've tracked Nor'Easters up in Maine/New England for years. Hurricanes are similar. Not identical, but similar. So a bunch of hurricanes come through, and out of all of the model runs, there are say 20 that all bunch up, and maybe 2-3 that disagree. All things being equal, everyone goes with the 20. Then you have a scenario where there are 15 that do one thing, and 8 that do something different. Now?...now you start to pay attention.
Then, you get a split...12 one way, 12 another. Clearly at this point, there is no consensus and no agreement on what's likely to happen.

This storm has been very interesting. Initially, most models said OTS (Out To Sea). A few started saying no, it'll be a bit further west. When the rest of the models caught up to the "outliers", the outliers had already moved again, further west. Euro and GFDL have been steadily moving Westward over the past 4-5 days, with the NHC playing catchup.
That's why this afternoon, there were still models that indicated a Cat 4 landfall in Miami, travelling up the central area of Fl, and then exiting the state up in Jacksonville.
4 Days ago, any model that indicated an East coast landfall was deemed to be lunacy, and yet here we are. SE coastal areas are being evacuated.

Bottom line?...when there's this much disagreement about what something is going to do?...it's because NOBODY knows. Personally?...I think the NHC has done a pretty poor job on this storm. They've been playing catchup for at least 4 days now. In this day and age, that's terrible performance, in my book. Before I get flamed, that's just my opinion, but these folks should be doing a better job than they are, and I believe the thing that holds them back is politics.

Be safe, and I hope everyone that needs one finds a hole.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #186
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Wallace, Worton Creek had some transient spots when I was there Sunday. It's well-protected, especially from the east. If you end up there, let me know; like to shake hands.

Ian (angus99)
Ian: We have decided to stay (on the dock) in Chesapeake City til' this blows through.
It's all a crap shoot. C'mon by and see us. DIRT FREE is hard to miss
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #187
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
Bigfish,
I've tracked Nor'Easters up in Maine/New England for years. Hurricanes are similar. Not identical, but similar. So a bunch of hurricanes come through, and out of all of the model runs, there are say 20 that all bunch up, and maybe 2-3 that disagree. All things being equal, everyone goes with the 20. Then you have a scenario where there are 15 that do one thing, and 8 that do something different. Now?...now you start to pay attention.
Then, you get a split...12 one way, 12 another. Clearly at this point, there is no consensus and no agreement on what's likely to happen.

This storm has been very interesting. Initially, most models said OTS (Out To Sea). A few started saying no, it'll be a bit further west. When the rest of the models caught up to the "outliers", the outliers had already moved again, further west. Euro and GFDL have been steadily moving Westward over the past 4-5 days, with the NHC playing catchup.
That's why this afternoon, there were still models that indicated a Cat 4 landfall in Miami, travelling up the central area of Fl, and then exiting the state up in Jacksonville.
4 Days ago, any model that indicated an East coast landfall was deemed to be lunacy, and yet here we are. SE coastal areas are being evacuated.

Bottom line?...when there's this much disagreement about what something is going to do?...it's because NOBODY knows. Personally?...I think the NHC has done a pretty poor job on this storm. They've been playing catchup for at least 4 days now. In this day and age, that's terrible performance, in my book. Before I get flamed, that's just my opinion, but these folks should be doing a better job than they are, and I believe the thing that holds them back is politics.

Be safe, and I hope everyone that needs one finds a hole.
Lobstah

Good points, however "usually" the majority of the spaghetti models come thru as predicted and the NWS really doesn't do a bad job.

Nothing perfect in predictions, but this day and age they are quite accurate.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #188
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Forecasting certainly came a long way with the advent of computers, satellites and the funding it gets now.

Lots of professions can't predict the future.....banking, medicine, mechanics, etc...etc...

I have been using weather data professionally since the 70s and am dang glad we have come this far.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:53 PM   #189
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Ian: We have decided to stay (on the dock) in Chesapeake City til' this blows through.
It's all a crap shoot. C'mon by and see us. DIRT FREE is hard to miss
If you're still there Saturday morning, I'll stop by. Stay safe!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #190
Guru

Seevee. I agree, the further the hurricane is out (the more days it needs to travel to make landfall) the further the models will disagree but as those days shrink the predictions become more accurate and the accuracy improves. I've been following hurricanes since the 1940s having lived in Miami all my life and I can remember storms that were predicted to miss Miami that came straight over the hiss I grew up on an island (no water in the house but three feet outside). It's much better today.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #191
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
As an aside, I vaguely remember an episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where Les Nessman was giving an "on the spot" weather report. Andy (station manager) asked Les where he got his weather information. Les replied "I just look out the window and report what I see".
Old 10-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #192
Guru

RT. I remember that episode, what a fun program.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #193
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
If you're still there Saturday morning, I'll stop by. Stay safe!
Probably will be. email boatpoker@gmail.com before you come just to make sure.

Looking forward to it.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #194
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Anybody in the Tampa Bay area doing anything with their boat?
So far, nada. But I have Tide Minders and 600 ft. of rope on the boat that I put there for Hermine just in case. I'd need 4 hours to set it all up.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #195

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
I'm wondering about people in Haiti and Cuba any news?

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #196

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Last I read, the government of Haiti had requested humanitarian assistance from the US military. Lot of areas unreachable with no communication.

No doubt significant impact, not sure if the outside world know yet.

Mark
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #197
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
I still like what WINDYTY.com reflects on all weather including this storm.

https://www.windyty.com/?gust,-36.280,137.549,4

Take care all ( a small prayer of thanks that the good Lord placed me where I am)

Al-Ketchikan,Alaska 27' Marben Pocket Cruiser
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #198

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
North of Haiti and Est of Cuba still under Matthew

Hope that not kill to many people but seriously due to the poverty to this country I'm not really peaceful for them...

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #199
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
I still like what WINDYTY.com reflects on all weather including this storm.

https://www.windyty.com/?gust,-36.280,137.549,4

Take care all ( a small prayer of thanks that the good Lord placed me where I am)

Al-Ketchikan,Alaska 27' Marben Pocket Cruiser

Is that the same good Lord that created the storm
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #200
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Took the canvas off Possum today. Shutters go up tomorrow. I've got a fancy wrap on my store building. It's getting a little old and I was thinking of taking it off. I suspect that on Thursday that decision will be made for me.