Old 10-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #81
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
When I started a thread a week or so ago asking how you all prep, this is exactly what I was wondering about. I say it is fascinating but I don't think lightly of your concerns and safety. Take care.

Given some respite, now... thought it might be useful to note some other details that have been active... in this case... and in our case.

Our slip isn't real wide, fixed docks, in a small-ish marina. Not too well-protected from winds out of the north.

Our usual options are to stay in the slip, haul and block, or go elsewhere.

Not easy to stay in the slip; would mean staying aboard to adjust lines, partly to account for surge, partly to keep from bouncing off the piles all night. Not my favorite idea.

Usually OK to haul and block... except... in this case, the Nor'easter we've been enjoying -- not really related to Joaquin -- means the marina guys can't tow big boats around to the lift. Complicated this particular week by one of the lift operators leaving on his honeymoon yesterday. Can't begrudge him that!

I could move the boat to the lift around myself, of course (probably), but the list was long, too many in front of us...

We have in the past successfully moved the boat to one of the more protected marinas with new concrete floating docks and really high piles. Easy, my preference usually, except in this case, sea states on the Chesapeake were -- and still are -- not at all fun. There were 6-footers at one of the buoys up toward Baltimore last night, and in any case 5's and 4's have been the normal prediction for these several days. An anomaly here is that even 3' seas here in the Chesapeake, usually with a very short wave period, will often beat a small boat like ours up. Doable, but not fun. Boats are usually better off the crew, of course, but still... not my favorite thing to deal with.

Turned out... we've done not much at all. One extra spring line (so far) only just added this morning. And that's still about the Nor'easter. Once the Joaquin track prediction firmed up, decision-making got easier.

-Chris

Old 10-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #82
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Water levels are up...almost overwashing the docks. More the result of the other weather systems coming up the coast. We have dodged J0aquin for now...

I'm behind the tree on the left..

Old 10-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #83
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Given some respite, now... thought it might be useful to note some other details that have been active... in this case... and in our case.

Our slip isn't real wide, fixed docks, in a small-ish marina. Not too well-protected from winds out of the north.

Our usual options are to stay in the slip, haul and block, or go elsewhere.

Not easy to stay in the slip; would mean staying aboard to adjust lines, partly to account for surge, partly to keep from bouncing off the piles all night. Not my favorite idea.

Usually OK to haul and block... except... in this case, the Nor'easter we've been enjoying -- not really related to Joaquin -- means the marina guys can't tow big boats around to the lift. Complicated this particular week by one of the lift operators leaving on his honeymoon yesterday. Can't begrudge him that!

I could move the boat to the lift around myself, of course (probably), but the list was long, too many in front of us...

We have in the past successfully moved the boat to one of the more protected marinas with new concrete floating docks and really high piles. Easy, my preference usually, except in this case, sea states on the Chesapeake were -- and still are -- not at all fun. There were 6-footers at one of the buoys up toward Baltimore last night, and in any case 5's and 4's have been the normal prediction for these several days. An anomaly here is that even 3' seas here in the Chesapeake, usually with a very short wave period, will often beat a small boat like ours up. Doable, but not fun. Boats are usually better off the crew, of course, but still... not my favorite thing to deal with.

Turned out... we've done not much at all. One extra spring line (so far) only just added this morning. And that's still about the Nor'easter. Once the Joaquin track prediction firmed up, decision-making got easier.

-Chris
You certainly had a lot of conditions working against you. Your situation is why our hurricane plan has a lot of options but the caveat that we may not follow any of them.

One thing I would suggest for your slip. If there's a way to tie to the piles or posts of the dock using rings that will go up and down as the boat does. This keeps the boat's distance from the dock constant. Not always possible and still not the best situation but the one thing I would have seen as a possible option given your situation. And the one I'd never pursue is to stay there with the boat.

You also pointed out that the entire coast is already having flooding without any help from Joaquin. Had Joaquin come to land and then slowed down again like it did over the Bahamas, all on top of the other storms, this would have been frighteningly similar to Sandy.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #84
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Water levels are up...almost overwashing the docks. More the result of the other weather systems coming up the coast. We have dodged J0aquin for now...

I'm behind the tree on the left..
Same look in Myrtle Beach, although don't think the ICW is up as much as in your photo.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #85
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
One thing I would suggest for your slip. If there's a way to tie to the piles or posts of the dock using rings that will go up and down as the boat does. This keeps the boat's distance from the dock constant. Not always possible and still not the best situation but the one thing I would have seen as a possible option given your situation. And the one I'd never pursue is to stay there with the boat.

Yep, thanks, I've shopped on those systems. There are at least two. One boat here has the kind with balls strung on a line, and it looks like it'll work sorta-kinda, although they have some interference from their own immediate neighbors' lines on each side, too.

The other kind, with the hard-attached rod, could maybe work better in our slip, depending on what my own immediate neighbors cobble together...

-Chris
Old 10-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #86
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yep, thanks, I've shopped on those systems. There are at least two. One boat here has the kind with balls strung on a line, and it looks like it'll work sorta-kinda, although they have some interference from their own immediate neighbors' lines on each side, too.

The other kind, with the hard-attached rod, could maybe work better in our slip, depending on what my own immediate neighbors cobble together...

-Chris
Fortunately, you're not going to get put to the extreme test this time. A well designed floating dock certainly makes things easier.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #87
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
It back to Cat 4 now, and just shy of Cat 5. 155mph max sustained wind. I sure hope it stays off shore.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #88
Guru

I take it back. It's now Cat 5.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #89
Guru

8 Years since the last Atlantic Cat 5. Now the question is how close does it go to Bermuda and how long will it stay a Cat 4 or 5.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #90
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
2pm Sat. At least it's pulling away from the Bahamas so hopefully they can find El Faro but look at Bermuda.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	174906W5_NL_sm[1].jpg
Views:	61
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	45151  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #91
Guru

Yes, heading north and picking up a lot of speed over the last 24hrs. It's now moving at 26 mph, where 24hrs ago is was 3mph.

As BandB says, Bermuda is now the big question, and how quickly the storm will die down as the water gets colder moving north. But right now it's one whopping storm.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #92
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
50+ knot gusts here in Charleston just now and a sailboat just blew by that broke off a mooring. Sailed right down between two rows of docked boats and only touched two while missing 12 or more before many mate and I caught it by the bow while standing on another boats swim platform and swung right into the only open space on the dock. Didn't even hit the dock. Perfect docking with no one on board and only a 4' bow line to hold on to! LOL
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
50+ knot gusts here in Charleston just now and a sailboat just blew by that broke off a mooring. Sailed right down between two rows of docked boats and only touched two while missing 12 or more before many mate and I caught it by the bow while standing on another boats swim platform and swung right into the only open space on the dock. Didn't even hit the dock. Perfect docking with no one on board and only a 4' bow line to hold on too! LOL
So, are you planning on enjoying another 3 days or so there? We're in Charlotte at the moment but original plans were to leave Myrtle Beach on Monday. We're thinking Wednesday now. Perhaps move to Georgetown Tuesday afternoon.

They need to give a name to the storm flooding this area. Make it an honorary hurricane of something.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:10 PM   #94
Guru

I was hoping to be on the move by Monday. But....

From what I hear they've got access to downtown Charleston blocked off due to the floading. Glad I'm on something that is designed to be floating from the get go. :-)
Old 10-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
I was hoping to be on the move by Monday. But....

From what I hear they've got access to downtown Charleston blocked off due to the floading. Glad I'm on something that is designed to be floating from the get go. :-)
Here's the scary part. Charleston is expected to get another 8" or so over the next three days. 2" tonight, 5" tomorrow and tomorrow night, Half an inch on Monday. Myrtle Beach only 5" more.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Here's the scary part. Charleston is expected to get another 8" or so over the next three days. 2" tonight, 5" tomorrow and tomorrow night, Half an inch on Monday. Myrtle Beach only 5" more.
Yeah, the sewers are overwhelmed already from what I've heard. I was going to take a walk towards town but lacking waders I'm thinking I'll just stay on the boat.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, the sewers are overwhelmed already from what I've heard. I was going to take a walk towards town but lacking waders I'm thinking I'll just stay on the boat.
Ironic that the driest place in town is the boat.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #98
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Looks like a possible shift to the west ...

Old 10-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #99
Guru

Charleston streets all closed. Georgetown county roads all closed. Myrtle Beach expecting 7 inches more rain today.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #100
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Nice graphic RT. Looks like a garden hose spraying on SC. I'm next here in NC. Grr. My place is a swamp already.

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote