Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #81
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
When I started a thread a week or so ago asking how you all prep, this is exactly what I was wondering about. I say it is fascinating but I don't think lightly of your concerns and safety. Take care.

Given some respite, now... thought it might be useful to note some other details that have been active... in this case... and in our case.

Our slip isn't real wide, fixed docks, in a small-ish marina. Not too well-protected from winds out of the north.

Our usual options are to stay in the slip, haul and block, or go elsewhere.

Not easy to stay in the slip; would mean staying aboard to adjust lines, partly to account for surge, partly to keep from bouncing off the piles all night. Not my favorite idea.

Usually OK to haul and block... except... in this case, the Nor'easter we've been enjoying -- not really related to Joaquin -- means the marina guys can't tow big boats around to the lift. Complicated this particular week by one of the lift operators leaving on his honeymoon yesterday. Can't begrudge him that!

I could move the boat to the lift around myself, of course (probably), but the list was long, too many in front of us...

We have in the past successfully moved the boat to one of the more protected marinas with new concrete floating docks and really high piles. Easy, my preference usually, except in this case, sea states on the Chesapeake were -- and still are -- not at all fun. There were 6-footers at one of the buoys up toward Baltimore last night, and in any case 5's and 4's have been the normal prediction for these several days. An anomaly here is that even 3' seas here in the Chesapeake, usually with a very short wave period, will often beat a small boat like ours up. Doable, but not fun. Boats are usually better off the crew, of course, but still... not my favorite thing to deal with.

Turned out... we've done not much at all. One extra spring line (so far) only just added this morning. And that's still about the Nor'easter. Once the Joaquin track prediction firmed up, decision-making got easier.

-Chris
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #82
Guru
 
Heron's Avatar
 
City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,084
Water levels are up...almost overwashing the docks. More the result of the other weather systems coming up the coast. We have dodged J0aquin for now...

I'm behind the tree on the left..

__________________

__________________
Steve
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #83
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Given some respite, now... thought it might be useful to note some other details that have been active... in this case... and in our case.

Our slip isn't real wide, fixed docks, in a small-ish marina. Not too well-protected from winds out of the north.

Our usual options are to stay in the slip, haul and block, or go elsewhere.

Not easy to stay in the slip; would mean staying aboard to adjust lines, partly to account for surge, partly to keep from bouncing off the piles all night. Not my favorite idea.

Usually OK to haul and block... except... in this case, the Nor'easter we've been enjoying -- not really related to Joaquin -- means the marina guys can't tow big boats around to the lift. Complicated this particular week by one of the lift operators leaving on his honeymoon yesterday. Can't begrudge him that!

I could move the boat to the lift around myself, of course (probably), but the list was long, too many in front of us...

We have in the past successfully moved the boat to one of the more protected marinas with new concrete floating docks and really high piles. Easy, my preference usually, except in this case, sea states on the Chesapeake were -- and still are -- not at all fun. There were 6-footers at one of the buoys up toward Baltimore last night, and in any case 5's and 4's have been the normal prediction for these several days. An anomaly here is that even 3' seas here in the Chesapeake, usually with a very short wave period, will often beat a small boat like ours up. Doable, but not fun. Boats are usually better off the crew, of course, but still... not my favorite thing to deal with.

Turned out... we've done not much at all. One extra spring line (so far) only just added this morning. And that's still about the Nor'easter. Once the Joaquin track prediction firmed up, decision-making got easier.

-Chris
You certainly had a lot of conditions working against you. Your situation is why our hurricane plan has a lot of options but the caveat that we may not follow any of them.

One thing I would suggest for your slip. If there's a way to tie to the piles or posts of the dock using rings that will go up and down as the boat does. This keeps the boat's distance from the dock constant. Not always possible and still not the best situation but the one thing I would have seen as a possible option given your situation. And the one I'd never pursue is to stay there with the boat.

You also pointed out that the entire coast is already having flooding without any help from Joaquin. Had Joaquin come to land and then slowed down again like it did over the Bahamas, all on top of the other storms, this would have been frighteningly similar to Sandy.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #84
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Water levels are up...almost overwashing the docks. More the result of the other weather systems coming up the coast. We have dodged J0aquin for now...

I'm behind the tree on the left..
Same look in Myrtle Beach, although don't think the ICW is up as much as in your photo.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #85
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
One thing I would suggest for your slip. If there's a way to tie to the piles or posts of the dock using rings that will go up and down as the boat does. This keeps the boat's distance from the dock constant. Not always possible and still not the best situation but the one thing I would have seen as a possible option given your situation. And the one I'd never pursue is to stay there with the boat.

Yep, thanks, I've shopped on those systems. There are at least two. One boat here has the kind with balls strung on a line, and it looks like it'll work sorta-kinda, although they have some interference from their own immediate neighbors' lines on each side, too.

The other kind, with the hard-attached rod, could maybe work better in our slip, depending on what my own immediate neighbors cobble together...

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #86
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yep, thanks, I've shopped on those systems. There are at least two. One boat here has the kind with balls strung on a line, and it looks like it'll work sorta-kinda, although they have some interference from their own immediate neighbors' lines on each side, too.

The other kind, with the hard-attached rod, could maybe work better in our slip, depending on what my own immediate neighbors cobble together...

-Chris
Fortunately, you're not going to get put to the extreme test this time. A well designed floating dock certainly makes things easier.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #87
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,197
It back to Cat 4 now, and just shy of Cat 5. 155mph max sustained wind. I sure hope it stays off shore.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #88
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,197
I take it back. It's now Cat 5.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #89
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
8 Years since the last Atlantic Cat 5. Now the question is how close does it go to Bermuda and how long will it stay a Cat 4 or 5.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #90
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,744
2pm Sat. At least it's pulling away from the Bahamas so hopefully they can find El Faro but look at Bermuda.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	174906W5_NL_sm[1].jpg
Views:	61
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	45151  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #91
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,197
Yes, heading north and picking up a lot of speed over the last 24hrs. It's now moving at 26 mph, where 24hrs ago is was 3mph.

As BandB says, Bermuda is now the big question, and how quickly the storm will die down as the water gets colder moving north. But right now it's one whopping storm.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #92
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
50+ knot gusts here in Charleston just now and a sailboat just blew by that broke off a mooring. Sailed right down between two rows of docked boats and only touched two while missing 12 or more before many mate and I caught it by the bow while standing on another boats swim platform and swung right into the only open space on the dock. Didn't even hit the dock. Perfect docking with no one on board and only a 4' bow line to hold on to! LOL
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #93
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
50+ knot gusts here in Charleston just now and a sailboat just blew by that broke off a mooring. Sailed right down between two rows of docked boats and only touched two while missing 12 or more before many mate and I caught it by the bow while standing on another boats swim platform and swung right into the only open space on the dock. Didn't even hit the dock. Perfect docking with no one on board and only a 4' bow line to hold on too! LOL
So, are you planning on enjoying another 3 days or so there? We're in Charlotte at the moment but original plans were to leave Myrtle Beach on Monday. We're thinking Wednesday now. Perhaps move to Georgetown Tuesday afternoon.

They need to give a name to the storm flooding this area. Make it an honorary hurricane of something.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:10 PM   #94
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
I was hoping to be on the move by Monday. But....

From what I hear they've got access to downtown Charleston blocked off due to the floading. Glad I'm on something that is designed to be floating from the get go. :-)
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #95
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I was hoping to be on the move by Monday. But....

From what I hear they've got access to downtown Charleston blocked off due to the floading. Glad I'm on something that is designed to be floating from the get go. :-)
Here's the scary part. Charleston is expected to get another 8" or so over the next three days. 2" tonight, 5" tomorrow and tomorrow night, Half an inch on Monday. Myrtle Beach only 5" more.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #96
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Here's the scary part. Charleston is expected to get another 8" or so over the next three days. 2" tonight, 5" tomorrow and tomorrow night, Half an inch on Monday. Myrtle Beach only 5" more.
Yeah, the sewers are overwhelmed already from what I've heard. I was going to take a walk towards town but lacking waders I'm thinking I'll just stay on the boat.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #97
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Yeah, the sewers are overwhelmed already from what I've heard. I was going to take a walk towards town but lacking waders I'm thinking I'll just stay on the boat.
Ironic that the driest place in town is the boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #98
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Looks like a possible shift to the west ...

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #99
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,171
Charleston streets all closed. Georgetown county roads all closed. Myrtle Beach expecting 7 inches more rain today.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #100
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,889
Nice graphic RT. Looks like a garden hose spraying on SC. I'm next here in NC. Grr. My place is a swamp already.
__________________

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012