Hurricane Irma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We feel blessed. Our boat was in an old fixed dock in St. Pete and we came out with no apparent damage. We thought for sure the last few days that we would loose Becca and all our possessions.
We were more fortunate than many.

Marco Island: Lady Di got through with minor damage. Sincere condolences to those who weren't as lucky.

Marco Island: Lady Di got through with minor damage. Sincere condolences to those who weren't as lucky.

Wifey B: Yeah, I want to dance for you but cry for the others. You were right in the path though so very glad you made it through.

Menzies

Are you saying I have a simple mind? That a compliment as many here don't think I have a mind at all.

Glad you guys came thru ok.

Thanks. LOL

BTW. Nice boat, we are looking at a GB Aleutian 53, very similar.

Image1505169973.409442.jpgImage1505169988.756416.jpgImage1505170011.765294.jpgImage1505170033.417368.jpg

Scot Free is all good in St Petersburg. Didn't even lose shore power. However a boat they put on the hard about 20' ahead of me suffered damage to Bimini, frame and antennae.

Plan A for Key West is to get electricity and water restored.

I hate there has to be a backup plan.

Plan B is to evacuate all remaining people there, estimated at 10,000 people. Right now they have no electricity, no water, no cell phone. It would be a "humanitarian evacuation." It also means they're not allowing anyone to return.

Possum sank. I got over there this afternoon. Water was up to the pilot house windows. Already talked to a salvage guy who is a friend. I'm first on the list when he can move on the river. There appear to be hundreds of boats spider webbed into the river blocking it completely.

Maybe it's time for me to buy an old man's boat, you know, like the rest of you have.?

Possum sank. I got over there this afternoon. Water was up to the pilot house windows. Already talked to a salvage guy who is a friend. I'm first on the list when he can move on the river. There appear to be hundreds of boats spider webbed into the river blocking it completely.

Maybe it's time for me to buy an old man's boat, you know, like the rest of you have.?

Wifey B: Or.....don't have to get an old man's boat. You could get a mid life crisis boat, maybe a Cigarette. :D So sorry to hear about Possum. Any idea what happened to make it sink? :confused:

Slow Hand came through unscathed, but then its in Grafton, IL. Initial reports for my home in Fort Myers are encouraging. In my neighborhood, no homes flooded; no apparent structural damage other than one lanai destroyed. Still waiting for my guy to check my home. Trees and landscaping weren't so lucky. I'm sure my yard guy will be having a record 4th quarter.

Ted

Maybe it's time for me to buy an old man's boat, you know, like the rest of you have.[emoji12]

Sorry for you HopCar, sad news :(

L

We are toasting Possum tonight...
So sorry,
Bruce

Parks, so sorry to hear this!

What's an "old man's boat" ??

That has to be tough. We expected the same possibility but we're fortunate.

Maybe it's time for me to buy an old man's boat, you know, like the rest of you have.��

Sorry to hear Parks. Some times the very best folks have a stroke of bad luck. Certainly applies here. Here's wishing you better outcome with salvage company and insurance company.

Dammit, Parks. RIP Possum. I know, intellectually, that becoming attached to inanimant objects is foolish - yet, with the blood, sweat, tears, and treasure most of us here put into our boats, theres a significant (maybe speaking only for myself) emotional attachment. The platform of adventures, new things, and shared experience with friends and family. Sorry, Bro.

If it's any consolation, most of us down here on the Gulf or southeast Atlantic or one "event" from your situation.

Possum sank. I got over there this afternoon. Water was up to the pilot house windows.

Sorry to hear about Possum. I think it would emotionally hurt more to loose my boat than my house.

Ted

Hopcar. Sorry to hear about Possum. Are you still unable to make phone calls ? If so and you want me to call someone and relay messages, I'd be glad to. Just send me a PM to set it up.

Sorry to hear that Parks. Best of luck going forward

John

Damn, sorry to hear. I wonder will you ever find out the reason she took on water.

Vale Possum!

Old Man's Boat? For a sprightly young chap? You CANNOT be serious!:)

Last edited:
Geeze Parks: a custom make like Possum will be hard to replace. Surely someone would want to salvage it. I don't know what I'd do in your shoes, but untill a few hours ago, I thought I was in them. I guess I'd be thinking as you are....you know, getting something that wasn't so much work. Please make the forum your therapy couch on this one, Parks. We all want to know your process cuz it could be anyone of us next week (or this week for that matter).

Oh that's terrible news. They might be inanimate objects, but there's something different about boats and we even give them names. My condolences.

Parks

So sorry to hear about your loss, I was certain that she would survive as your would have no swell or high winds being so protected. If we can help in anyway just ask, we are just around the corner.

Our condolences for your loss. Sad.

Sorry Parks. Just when you had time to use her more. Maybe salvageable, maybe a new one, it will pass.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom