Hurricane Irma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RE Ocean Reef, a friend of mine has a house there and understands that it escaped unscathed. Apparently the water level did not climb as much as forecast. Someone overflew the area in a helicopter and posted a video. If I an find it and post it here I will. A little out of focus at times but surprising the little amount of damage given the location.

Possum sank. I got over there this afternoon. Water was up to the pilot house windows. Already talked to a salvage guy who is a friend. I'm first on the list when he can move on the river. There appear to be hundreds of boats spider webbed into the river blocking it completely.

Maybe it's time for me to buy an old man's boat, you know, like the rest of you have.��

Hi Parks, Just getting caught up on the site and read the above.
Sooo sorry mate. I had been very much looking forward to catching up with you and stepping aboard Possum down the line.

Hope everyone and everything else came through OK.

Survived

At Indiantown Marina: all boats on the hard standing and in the water floating. I was lucky this time. Not returning to Key Largo. Looking for a new place to live (aboard).

At Indiantown Marina: all boats on the hard standing and in the water floating. I was lucky this time. Not returning to Key Largo. Looking for a new place to live (aboard).

It's interesting how people react and your reaction is fairly opposite to mine. Just made it through the "worst hurricane ever" unscathed tends to give me reassurance, not to run me away. Perhaps because it was my first as I had no idea how it would feel before. Now, I know. I'm alive and well today. I'm ready to keep going. As energized as I've been as working hard to get things back to normal or to a new normal.

Now, if I lived in Key West, doubt I'd feel the same. Honestly, have no idea how I'd feel. Living in Fort Lauderdale, however, I don't feel impervious to danger, but I do feel good about the ability to cope with a major storm. First one in decades for our area.

Not saying anything wrong with your reaction or mine, just they're opposite.

Planobility

Thanks. Ocean Reef is on the ocean and will take a big hit, your across the bay do the water damage shoukd be less. We had wind gusts up to 100 mph on the Miami River.

So far I have heard nothing the the satellite photos look good.

Looks like I've got some cell phone data available. I want to thank all you guys for your kind words and thoughts. Been cleaning up around the house. The trash pile in front is impressive. Four friends came by today to help. They did an amazing job. I think I'll start a little business sharpening chain saw blades. I'm getting pretty good at it.

I haven't gone back to Possum. There is nothing I can do and I'm getting short on gasoline.

MurrayM is a classy guy. His scuppers get plugged with mink poop. Now that is the definition of classy.

Unscathed

I did run, from my oceanfront slip at Key Largo Harbor Marina to Indiantown Marina on the Okeechobee waterway. I called them early Labor Day and got the last slip available on the floating dock. They wanted cash up front and I was happy to oblige. I made the right move as it turns out, but it was iffy for a while as it looked like the storm was headed straight for Okeechobee by the time we arrived.

Lost my hydraulic steering at Jupiter. Blown seals in the lower helm and no spare parts on board (they were left behind in Key Largo in my haste to leave). So I drove the last 40 or so miles on shifters and throttles and used the autopilot when I got up to speed. Worked fine, docked on a dime.

Brand new Westerbeke generator acted up on each mooring. Fortunately got enough juice to run AC in the staterooms both nights. Some guys in really big boats going really fast tried to swamp me and almost did. So to say the least the trip was not without incident or excitement.

I've lived in the Keys since 2004: Key West, Cudjoe, Big Pine, and Key Largo. And I went through Charley, Dennis, Francis, Ivan, Katrina, Rita, and Wilma. I knew anything could be bad and that's why I decided to bug out. I'm glad I did and I'm alive today.

I'm not returning to the Keys. Been there, done that. It's time for my Loop to begin while I still have my health and bank account intact. I know a lot of people are suffering and I feel badly for them. I was damn lucky this time.

I'm too new to know how to reply properly. Replied under title Unscathed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm too new to know how to reply properly. Replied under title Unscathed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You replied properly but not sure you're unscathed. You're scared now of Key Largo. Were boats at Key Largo Harbor Marina damaged? None of us are unscathed, even if out boats are.

Parks

Got gas today with only two cars in front on 36 street. You should have no problem as things are returning to normal. Went out to lunch yesterday no will do do today. If I can help in any way just ask, you've helped
me out various times for many years.

How did the store come out?

Cheers.

I'm not scared of Key Largo, just ready to move on to some new scenery. My hull is better suited for the ICW than the ocean. You know what they say, "the bay is lined with Bayliners".

Some boats were damaged. A nice Intrepid across from my slip sank. There's still no water, or electric at the marina and trying to live under those conditions is roughing it for me. They had enough surge to deposit some boats that were in the canal on the bulkhead, but the surge didn't get my truck or trailer. Lucky again. Don't know about my furniture in Big Pine Key, but I suspect it is lost.

That furniture was really the last line tying me to the shore. I bought my Bayliner with the hopes of doing the Loop and generally cruising around and living a Simple Life. And that's what I plan to do now.

Last edited:
"There's still no water, or electric at the marina and trying to live under those conditions is roughing it for me."

Try living aboard in an ice storm Outside Air Temp well under 20F and the electric is out for 10 days.

Its only "roughing it" for the unprepaired.

Actually FF it is roughing it for everybody in the Keys right now. No electric, spotty cell, no sewers or pump out facilities working, no gas, no diesel, no potable water, no mosquito control, no lodging, no restaurants, no grocery store refrigeration, trash and debris everywhere. It sucks down there right now and my experience has been it will continue to suck for weeks and quite possibly months. Water is stirred up so can't fish or dive, and lots of people working diligently to restore the infrastructure. I don't need to be down there in their way and I don't want to go back there anyway.

I've got employees in Key West who are still unaccounted for, and I've got employees in South Texas, too who are still reeling from Harvey. I've truly been impacted by both storms, but I am optimistic about the future and doing everything I can right now to help my personnel like sending them money and carrying them on the payroll even though they can't work and I'm not generating any revenue in Key West.

I was prepared to move my boat to higher, safer, and more secure ground and I did. Now I'm hanging out in Texas on my other boat until I can return to get my things in Key Largo and my Bayliner in Indiantown and go on with my life.

I've lived in Boston and know about the cold. I've hiked the Rockies in 25 below and been to South Dakota when it was 50 below. The EF-5 tornado East of Dallas the day after Christmas in 2015 destroyed houses in my neighborhood. Leveled them and I was without power for 3 weeks in the dead of winter with an ice storm. I was huddled in the closet while the tornado tried to rip off my roof and my solid brick house shuddered.

I agree with you that being unprepared has consequences. I say I'm lucky and feel that way, but to a large degree we all make our own luck by the decisions we make.

Having stared the grim reaper down more times than I ever wanted to.....

I am scared of hurricanes though I have flown in those winds, maybe not that they will kill me, now but certainly make my life difficult longer than I want it to be at the moment. If you have never lived through a natural or family disaster....you have to squint real hard to understand.

I walk a tightrope of minimal life effort so I can apply myself to family and friends.....while living a meager lifestyle.

Thats why I choose to have a mobile lifestyle and minimal assets as they can be lost......but not my family and friends who sit on top of my priority ladder.

As far as FFs comments, it is typical that a hurricane that gets so much support disheartens northerners who ofter survive winter storms with little notice. Freezing to death versus roasting with mosquitoes is hardly debateable, both stink but one seems to get more headlines.

Last edited:
That furniture was really the last line tying me to the shore. I bought my Bayliner with the hopes of doing the Loop and generally cruising around and living a Simple Life. And that's what I plan to do now.

Wifey B: Well, hope you're at NY ready to enter the canal early next May and enjoy the wonderful trip the loop can be. We looped last year as far as the TN River and this year were exploring it and the Cumberland. In fact, we were in Nashville when Harvey called us to South Texas and then Irma called us home to Fort Lauderdale. We're sending crew to run our boat back to Pickwick as we're tied to land and helping in our business for the time being. I feel normal again working full days and waiting for a day or two off to get out on the water. My hubby's in his element for sure and it is exciting watching things restart. :D

I have sailed through storms and lived an adventurous live. Had a home in New Orleans for 40 years. Never left for a hurricane till Katrina came along and even then was only gone for three days. I participated in the long drawn out aftermath of that storm and as been noted, it will mess with your mind. Worked through Ike and Rita in Texas. Hustled through the BP oil spill while all around me were crying and bemoaning their lives. Rode hard and was put up wet many,many times resulting in real health issues, bad heart and sepsis taking me out of the game at a relatively young age of 62. Doctors advised a no stress life and said I had a good five years life expectancy if I followed their program.

So, I live a simple life on my boat. No agenda, no real goal. I had thought to do the Great Loop but only got as far as St. Petersburg from New Orleans in six months. Got a very capable boat but just enjoyed my stops along the way too much to move fast. At this rate, it's gonna take another three years to complete the loop. But I don't see the point in moving on for a while. I know what the aftermath of a Katrina/Irma storm looks like. There is no pleasure to be had in continuing around Florida with very little support structure for cruising. Marinas damaged, channels moved, navaids missing, etc. so I have decided to take Scot Free back to New Orleans and sit out the fall and winter season there. I have friends to visit and things I can do. I am thinking of a train journey to Olympia where my daughter and grandkids live. Also will spend a month or so with a very sick friend of mine who is recovering from an almost fatal case of pancreatitis and his doc has said he has a very long recovery period ahead. I will resume the voyage in early spring and go directly to the East Coast and work my way up. Who knows how far I will get.

For those live aboard looking for a safe, relatively inexpensive area to cruise out of the recovery area I would recommend the Florida Panhandle and Redneck Riviera as far west as Destin to New Orleans.

Of course this advise is void if one of the remaining Atlantic hurricanes decides to enter the Gulf of Mexico. Then all bets are off. But I will be heading up the TennTom waterway in that case.

Stay safe my friends.

I think the East coast of Florida would be fine for continuing a cruise from what I have read.

But it is a bit late to head north much beyond Florida to S. Carolina anyway unless you like cold weather.

I am headed down, probably along with thousands of others, destination is the Keys. I am not worried about channels and navaids with my boat....but full keel and 4 foot draft keeps me in relative safe cruising.

Even with no infrastructure, who cares, it would be like remote cruising. I may even be able to help friends with homes there.

Last edited:
I think the East coast of Florida would be fine for continuing a cruise from what I have read.

But it is a bit late to head north much beyond Florida to S. Carolina.

I am headed down, probably along with thousands of others, destination is the Keys. I am not worried about channels and navaids with my boat....but full keel and 4 foot draft keeps me in relative safe cruising.

Even with no infrastructure, who cares, it would be like remote cruising. I may even be able to help friends with homes there.

As soon as power returns, but they're projecting by the end of this weekend. Fort Lauderdale and many Miami marinas in fine shape. West Palm are except damage from anchored sailboats.

Waterway Guide is doing a good job of reporting on Marinas.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/hurricane-status-updates

Last edited:
Broward, Dade, and Palm Beach counties have just over 75% of electricity restored.

My guess most cruisers would hopscotch between anchorages and open marinas.

Navigation even with a few missing aids but with gps shouldnt be a struggle.

Navigation and cruising where civilization ends is challenging but not beyond experienced cruisers, the aftermath of a hurricane us similar but easier.

Scott

I agree, the east coast was not that impacted, sure there may be floating debris for awhile but a savvy navigator should find his way with little to no problems. When I was a kid my dad and iI would travel for a month or so to the Bahamas visiting the out islands with nothing more than some hand drawings for charts, this was before Harry Klien and his Yachtsmans Guide to the Bahamas. Some how we survived, yeah we touched bottom a few times by misreading the water and occasionally we waited unil the tide came in before we coukd move but our props were very clean. It was fun to be early explorers.

so again alert on carribean dep 15 report on guadeloupe I don't want to be trap north so I start to go south again tonight.
And after Lee ...

I'm going t make lot of mile this year to escape

I will keep you informed

Hugues

Be safe!! Heck of a hurricane season so far.

so again alert on carribean dep 15 report on guadeloupe I don't want to be trap north so I start to go south again tonight.
And after Lee ...

I'm going t make lot of mile this year to escape

I will keep you informed

Hugues

Good luck and be safe. Have a peaceful cruise.

L

Hugues: One thing I have to say is that you sure do get the most out of your boating! Stay safe.

thanks all, that way I'm leaving now and don't wait the last minute, for safety reason

I will keep you informed

one more so Maria doing 290° and going Guadeloupe Martinique
I was up in ST Barth
we quip ST Barth last night 7:00pm we now north Guadeloupe heading south 10kt look like we need to go deep south
we only 2 onboard tired tired since 2 weeks don't sleep a lot

bad hurricane season

Hugues

I'm very concerned with the additional damage Maria might cause to the islands.

As a matter of information, there are still 54,000 homes and businesses without electricity in South Florida (Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties). I'm sure the Keys and the West Coast are even worse.

Just looked and Collier and Lee County have over 100,000 still without.

Last edited:
now Maria CAT3

I'm in St Lucia at dock ready and waiting, for now not tu much wind but later ????

Maria may become a CAT 4. She's likely to hit the Leeward Islands, The Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico hard. After that, all the models currently show her staying off shore and not hitting the US directly. However, as nothing is normal this year, I still worry they could be wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom