Hurricane Florence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Henry:

Did Seven Tenths make it though the storm surge unscathed?

Cheers,
Pea

New Bern got hammered.....the consistent high East/NorthEast winds pushed the Pamlico sound up river to a 10+ foot flood stage. Lots of water rescues in the Town proper and near by housing communities.

BridgePoint Marina is the one in the video with floating docks that got destroyed. No news on New Bern Grand. The last photos I saw they had about 2 feet left on the pilings before their docks would float off.

Our marina is down river 7 miles with fixed docks. We saw photos from 8am yesterday and Skinny Dippin' was still floating in/near her slip. There were a few boats that looked loose.

We hauled out in Oriental back for Irene with a 9 ft surge. They said back then that another 6 inches would have floated us off our stands. I can only imagine that this storm would have done that at our local boat yards. Guess we'll find out more today.

We are very worried and are anxiously awaiting news as to whether we land in the water or on the dock as the water recedes. The good news, if there is any, is that the winds are slowly becoming less and still from the East-ish, so the water is receding slowly....hopefully slow enough for our marina crew and volunteers to adjust lines before she might land on the docks.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed for all of us. Clean up will take months for sure...

Once the surge waters leave us, the river flooding will come from the rains upstream. The Neuse, Cape Fear, Tar, Pamlico will all flood again once the rains stop. We hope to be able to get down there in between, but from what we are seeing, Highway 70 between Kinston and New Bern is closed.

Last edited:
Great video. I hope that was the worst of it! Was that "Scout" in the video?

Yes, it was. We are very fortunate. We feel bad for so many across the river......

Just got word that Skinny Dippin' IS still floating. Our marina, which hasn't lost a boat in over 30 years, has gotten hammered....and lots of damage.

A Hatteras next to us broke loose twice, so we may have damage.....but we are still floating and tied to our dock.

Oh man. I’m so sorry to hear about all the damage. The videos look way worse than I had imagined after watching the storm weaken. The storm surge was obviously huge.

My sailboat is in same marina as Skinny Dippin. From pics, it still floats.

Sadly, Shaman (Fales Navigator) was on the hard. Most of the boats floated off stands and are on the ground. No idea of damage. I can't get down to New Bern because of blocked roads.

My sailing club is totally trashed. We just spent $250,000 for new docks.

Ches

Any news on Hurricane Boatyard dry storage? Friends have a boat on stands there and haven’t been able to get a report.

Any news on Hurricane Boatyard dry storage? Friends have a boat on stands there and haven’t been able to get a report.

I'm not familiar with that yard, where is it?

Northwest Creek marina took a big hit. There are lots or reasons for this and we will see if lawyers will need to get involved (not ours... but someone else). The marina had a perfect hurricane record, however, the owner thought to change things... and those things failed. Additionally, our slip neighbors did NOT tied up their boat well enough to prevent damage. More on all this later (maybe). Anyway, here are the latest pictures:

Attachments

• C_Dock 1.jpg
    C_Dock 1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 120
  • D_Dock 1.jpg
    D_Dock 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 128
  • F_Dock 1.jpg
    F_Dock 1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

I'll keep an eye out for updates. Bayboro is on the Bay River, just north of Oriental.....probably the same 9-10ft surge, but I am only guessing. If I hear anything, I will post it.

"SV PRISM
19 hrs ·
Update: Good news for at least the boats in hurricane boatyard in Bayboro, NC. Sources on the ground say that all of the boats so far are still standing and from what it looks like none have sustained damage. We are still not out of the woods completely (hurricane season isn't over until November), but for Florence, Prism will be able to sail another day. Thank you to everyone that shared the positive thoughts towards us, others have been and will not be as lucky as us."

https://www.facebook.com/SVPRISM/

That numnuts....he was the one I was asking for. We don’t do Facebook and have been going back in forth w/ email and text. We hung out alot in Panama.

Thanks

The damage shown in the photos and videos makes my heart sick. Sorry for those affected.

Strange to see a few boats in the one video posted that seem to be floating fine amidst so many capsized or sunk.

Hi Henry:

Did Seven Tenths make it though the storm surge unscathed?

Cheers,
Pea

I'm 90% sure I saw Seven Tenths on TV yesterday. At least I saw a light blue GH that looked an awful lot like her. She looked to be handling it better than most of the other boats around her, but the marina was rocking and rolling pretty hard. Hard enough to be on TV. I hope she's okay.

Someone commented on boats not tied well and that's something the marinas didn't seem to emphasize. The better marinas have policies that if boats aren't adequately tied, they can add lines and bill the owners, and many here do so. Also, one thing visible again and I've seen several times before, is how poorly sailboats fare compared to power boats. They seem to tilt over with less wind and water.

Most of the rivers aren't yet near the level they're going to crest. However it looks like overall they'll see about the same as Matthew, some a little higher and some less.

All time records already set on rainfall. NC's record was 24" and Swansboro up to 30", Morehead and Oriental over 24", and much rain still to come. Neuse rose and flooded quickly but up the river expecting to crest lower than after Matthew.

She SURVIVED!!! And no Damage from the hatteras!!!

Attachments

• Post FLO.jpg
    Post FLO.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 86
sorry to hear and see the loss and damage . ours is reported to be floating and right where we left her .my monitor showed the bilge pumps running a lot but that has stopped.but the clubhouse and pool are trashed . we are at Whitaker creek west dock in oriental

We live upstream and across the river from New Bern on the Trent River. I had seen some video from CNN on River Bend, a community more or less across the Trent from us that I am quite familiar with, and from the water levels there (enough that boats were needed to ply the streets) I was certain we would not flood. Looks to have been the case.

Initial, report from a neighbor said at first glance he didn't see any houses with trees fallen on them and no flooding. If so, it's a miracle and a great relief. But we are literally not out of the woods yet, more rain is falling. He will file another report later today. The Trent doesn't have any where near as much upstream watershed as the Neuse, which extends up into Raleigh Durham. So we don't anticipate getting flooded when that all starts. But to some extent that depends on how stacked the Neuse gets, which the Trent empties into in New Bern, about 4 miles down river from us.

When we first got our big boat, we stayed at Bridgepointe for a few months. I has since been completely rebuilt, and now completely destroyed. Shows what just a minor difference in fetch can make relative to the wind and surge currents.

Northwest Creek had an outstanding dockmaster back in the day, who retired just a few years ago. He was a master at hurricane prep, including putting out anchors and extended lines. That's why they never lost a boat.

I do not have any reports yet of how Jarrett Bay fared.

We live upstream and across the river from New Bern on the Trent River. I had seen some video from CNN on River Bend, a community more or less across the Trent from us that I am quite familiar with, and from the water levels there (enough that boats were needed to ply the streets) I was certain we would not flood. Looks to have been the case.

Initial, report from a neighbor said at first glance he didn't see any houses with trees fallen on them and no flooding. If so, it's a miracle and a great relief. But we are literally not out of the woods yet, more rain is falling. He will file another report later today. The Trent doesn't have any where near as much upstream watershed as the Neuse, which extends up into Raleigh Durham. So we don't anticipate getting flooded when that all starts. But to some extent that depends on how stacked the Neuse gets, which the Trent empties into in New Bern, about 4 miles down river from us.

When we first got our big boat, we stayed at Bridgepointe for a few months. I has since been completely rebuilt, and now completely destroyed. Shows what just a minor difference in fetch can make relative to the wind and surge currents.

Northwest Creek had an outstanding dockmaster back in the day, who retired just a few years ago. He was a master at hurricane prep, including putting out anchors and extended lines. That's why they never lost a boat.

I do not have any reports yet of how Jarrett Bay fared.

I read New Bern Grand marina is protected by a 5 story building while Bridgepointe is open to the wind and so then fetch and breaking waves.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/09/15/photos-flooding-damage-left-in-wake-of-hurricane-florence
Some pics of boats damaged, a marina is shown with boats all over the place and looks like fallen off stands or they just floated up there.

That's Tidewater Marina on the Trent. They are on the same side of, and up river a mile or so from Bridgepointe, if anything even more exposed. On land it is a sort of marine junkyard of old boats on trailers. The land portion looks kind of like that on a good day. I doubt if any of those were hurricane haulouts as the place is jam packed to begin with. Perhaps some blew up there from water slips. I noted on Monday they were moving some smaller boats across the street to a vacant lot. They are on the same side of, and up river a mile or so from Bridgepointe.

Back
Top Bottom