Hull Shapes----Show us your girl's bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moon rivers bottom. Designed to be SD speed scale 5-18K cruise. Specs.; 52 ft. LOA 46+ ft. LWL 14 ft. beam approx. Wt. fully loaded 34,000 lb. Twin JD 6068 engines 22X26 4 blade props on 2 inch shafts. ZF 301A straight drive transmissions. Intended use purpose. Variable speed protected waters express cruiser capable of summer cruising in PNW to carry regular crew of two and be fully single hand capable. Accommodations for two and four family guests kids and grand kids on rare occasions. While this boat can cross some significant costal open water and probably is more capable than many this design was not meant for open water and big wave use.

Attachments

• IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 990
  • shop 2.jpg
    shop 2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 973
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,117
  • DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 2 (1).jpg
    2 (1).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,127
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 162
I like it! A Lot!! What's the near 2" composite made of??

I like it! A Lot!! What's the near 2" composite made of??

Mirante(probably spelled wrong) high grade multi 8 mm thick layered ply all epoxy joined and dynel outer layer epoxied. No metal fasteners just a total one piece composite craft.

Mirante(probably spelled wrong) high grade multi 8 mm thick layered ply all epoxy joined and dynel outer layer epoxied. No metal fasteners just a total one piece composite craft.

Bullet proof... Thanks for telling! :thumb:

Draft at fully loaded?

Preferred general cruising speed in calm open water and NMPG at that cruse speed?

NMPG at just below hull speed?

Does it plane... if so, WOT top speed?

Thanks! - Art

Last edited:
Moon rivers bottom. Designed to be SD speed scale 5-18K cruise. Specs.; 52 ft. LOA 46+ ft. LWL 14 ft. beam approx. Wt. fully loaded 34,000 lb. Twin JD 6068 engines 22X26 4 blade props on 2 inch shafts. ZF 301A straight drive transmissions. Intended use purpose. Variable speed protected waters express cruiser capable of summer cruising in PNW to carry regular crew of two and be fully single hand capable. Accommodations for two and four family guests kids and grand kids on rare occasions. While this boat can cross some significant costal open water and probably is more capable than many this design was not meant for open water and big wave use.
Ed, I think you should duplicate this posting and the photos over on the Pilgrim subject thread where you were suggesting the wooden hull construction. :thumb:

And I'm thinking the Pilgrim vessel's hull might just be built a little lighter than your 52 footer.

she is very beautiful and interesting structure. Here are some built this system also boats, are very stiff and strong hull, when the painting is always intact and prevent water from entering the structure. where and who he was built / designed?

Hull polished, antifouling painted, VELOX antifouling on propellers.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 61
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 71
Hull polished, antifouling painted, VELOX antifouling on propellers.

:socool: she likes news. Wery god and hard work i think ***** stars.

An interesting new character antifogul me, do you have any prior experience with it, do you know whether allowable throughout the all EU or the Med area?

After looking at Pilou's pictures I can't see how anyone could want to paint a boat anything but white. That bow shot has me drop jawed.

After looking at Pilou's pictures I can't see how anyone could want to paint a boat anything but white. That bow shot has me drop jawed.

Hi Eric, I want to give you one more reason to be other than white. At Northern Europe rarely very warm air, it is nice to have the sun's heat more colored hull, the difference is considerable. this one aspect.:socool:

:socool: she likes news. Wery god and hard work i think ***** stars.

An interesting new character antifogul me, do you have any prior experience with it, do you know whether allowable throughout the all EU or the Med area?

@Art, Eric, North Baltic Sea, thank you for your comments and encouragements.

North Baltic Sea,
I guess everyone has his own views for protection of propellers (Prop Speed, Prop Gold, etc..). A friend of mine in San Rafael CA swears only by Prop Gold, another friend in Bellingham WA loves Prop Speed (also Ray in Vallejo CA if I recall correctly). I do not intend to open up the debate, but just only need your question answered.

15 months ago I tried Velox Plus for the reason it was the # 1 one used for yachts, mega yachts & large commercial vessels in the Med which is not a low fouling environment. Then 15 months after, my propellers, trims, shaft drives looked like new.

In EU Velox Plus is available in France, Spain, Italy & Great Britain, I don't know about other EU countries.

Check there :
Navigators - Velox

Whatever it would, be aware that as always the key to achieve a good result is in preparation and application.

Cape Dory 28

20160613_134954-vi.jpg

Hi Eric, I want to give you one more reason to be other than white. At Northern Europe rarely very warm air, it is nice to have the sun's heat more colored hull, the difference is considerable. this one aspect.:socool:

I was born in and lived in Alaska six times and never heard that but it's obviously true. I like other colors .. just look at the blue on Heron's boat. I think white is the best color though. Heron's boat would be as pretty if it had Pilou's white but it would be harder to clean .. but it would be easier to see ect ect re all the variables. Many just want to be different. Look at all the weird names people are naming their children .. unique indeed but I think they think their child will turn out more special but being good parents will have far greater results. Work boats are frequently painted black because they get so dirty and it don't look so awful. I'm not a yacht club type but I prefer white on yachts, and all our boats are yachts.

My boat is a light almond color. Not being white is nice to cut down glare on bright days, but I do prefer white.

Draft at fully loaded?

Preferred general cruising speed in calm open water and NMPG at that cruse speed?

NMPG at just below hull speed?

Does it plane... if so, WOT top speed?

Thanks! - Art

When not in fast water or in a hurry we usually travel just below our 9.3k hull speed at 9K burning 5-6 gal/hr. depending on conditions. For crossing straights or dealing with fast water maybe < 10% use 16K burning maybe 23/gal/hr. sometimes if timing is important we will travel at 10K burning 8-9 gal/hr. At 11K one nm/gal after 11K the fuel burn curve takes a sharp turn up. the fuel burns above are for running both engines. The boat will run well with only one and there is only a slight fuel savings. Does it plane? That answer would depend on how one defines plane. The hull is a modified Down East and most of the hull remains in the water at any speed riding relatively flat with the trim tabs even more so the bow wave at top speed is far forward for what would be considered a planning boat the down side with wind is a wet windshield. When new she did 23K at <80 % engine load the boat was under propped and still is. Now considerably heavier with all my junk aboard and a slight prop tweak she will top out at WOT 2600+rpm fully loaded at 20K at 80-85% engine load and run all day at 18K at 70% load. These are respectable speeds for a SD hull and would be considered slow for a planning boat. The beauty of the design is that the boat is happy and preforms well in sub hull speed mode and also has the sliding speed scale up to a 20K cruse if desired since the load is only 80+ % at WOT. What I have done is underpropped a common rail system to gain a lower power curve a little like putting in a chip to change the M rating of the engines. I could do the chips but it would probably cost me a few grand and the end result is similar. Note the bow wave in the picture it does not go back even at WOT so I would not consider this a planning boat. My idea of a planning hull is when the boat rides on a small flattish or v section near the stern with the bow wave well back and with most of the forward 2/3rds of the hull lifted out of the water. Almost forgot the draft 3.6-3.8 ft. loaded.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
she is very beautiful and interesting structure. Here are some built this system also boats, are very stiff and strong hull, when the painting is always intact and prevent water from entering the structure. where and who he was built / designed?

Built by Sam Devlin in Olympia Washington. Dynel epoxy coated not paint keeping water out, think of it as a wood composite.

Thank you for the stats. Impressive boat!

Ed, I think you should duplicate this posting and the photos over on the Pilgrim subject thread where you were suggesting the wooden hull construction. :thumb:

And I'm thinking the Pilgrim vessel's hull might just be built a little lighter than your 52 footer.

Brian the 4 layers of 8 mm were the thickest sections the # of 8mm layers were matched to the stress expected so the boat weight need not be heavy. some of my 32,000lb is related to heavy twin JD 6068 engines loads of machinery and equipment and tankage. My dinghy with engine weighs close to 500lb and there is that heavy Nick Jackson lift etc. etc. When I think boat building material my first thought goes to who built it and how. Pick any material or method and there will be good and bad examples for each. There are the inherent characteristics of each material to consider but in the end the quality and soundness will depend most on how well it was done and not on the particular material. The ply epoxy method used to build my boat was used in over 400 builds by the small shop and designer of my boat in a period spanning > 30 years. I have personally inspected some of these boat which have been used hard over time and they do very well and are not hard to repair. Many home built stich and glue boats have been poorly done and have given the technique a bad rap. I own a stich and glue dinghy that is almost forty years old never pampered still very serviceable. Another big plus for a wood composite is the interior. It is all epoxy soaked wood easy to finish and is quiet and insulated(no sweating). A composite boat can be painted with modern tough two part paint and products like truck bed liner. With darker wood trim a beautiful interior is not hard to build. Brian if there is some way to move a post I am not knowing this.

Attachments

• dinette.jpg
    dinette.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 81

Interesting my first choice for MR was white easy to care for and less heat build up on hull. My DW wanted dark blue or dark red and our lightest compromise is what she is. MY sail boat is dark green (one of the worst colors)I gave in to tradition for that type of 1800s design. I'm a sucker for a good looking boat.

Attachments

• K.I.S.S. 2.jpg
    K.I.S.S. 2.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 58
Your SB looks like a Catboat. Beautiful.

Re your #326 I love sedans and the great 360 degree visability. One of the big draws when we bought Willy.

Strange hogged bottom repair

I saw these boats being repaired in New Orleans last year. They are some sort of fishing charter boat or ????
The entire external keel of this flat bottom boat was encapsulated in stainless steel. But really strange was the hogged curve of the at least 50' hull. I assume it was done to protect it from shallow running .But I dont believe it will flatten out in the water it was just way too much curve. Notice the 2 tiny wings on the front of the keel can't imagine what they are for!
I realize this is not my boat but it takes all sorts. Thought it was interesting.
Warren

Attachments

• IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1074.jpg