Hull Shapes----Show us your girl's bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pic one shows the bottom, though it is hard to see due to the color of the bottom paint.

next 2 shown underway, making 7 knots which uses 1.2 gal/hr.

I think I am*a bit under theoretical hull speed in these pics.*

boat has lwl of 34'

beam 11'

displacement 20,000lb

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 100
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 108
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 92
A lot like most lobsterboats but w more fwd flair. So many wonderful boats w lots of flair I'm going to have to eat most of my words of last month pho phoing flair. She looks quite light and slipery and dosn't have a lot of submerged transom. Great boat.

Mark the Coot looks wonderful!

Just got to my home port yesterday after a 2 week relocation cruise (New England to Chesapeake) so now will post pics of my bottom. Rumor has it that the boat was designed by Monk. It was built by Hershine and imported by Newburyport. Not unlike most TTs, but some subtle differences (although the flare is not subtle!). My only previous "trawler" was a Willard 30 -- this boat may not be as efficient, but it is sea kindly. Not nearly as much roll as the Willard and I was comfortably surfing 3-4 ft. following seas at over 10 knts (cruising at 7.5) with surprising control. Heading into 2 ft. wind chop, we stayed dry as long as we maintained a course directly into the wind, but got considerable spray otherwise. All in all, I was favorable impressed with her handling in a variety of sea conditions and it appears to be fairly efficient with fuel, burning around 2 gal/hr at 2000 rpm with a Perkins T6.354.

Attachments

• bow on.jpg
    bow on.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 100
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 100
  • hurricane hole.jpg
    hurricane hole.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 115
Here is the American Tug 34 cruising at 8.8 knots, which is a full knot over the*theoretical hull speed of 7.8 knots. Note that while the first wake crest*is well behind the stern, it*boat is still virtually level at the water line.

Fuel use at 8.8 knots is 4.5 gph which drops to*3 gph at the hull speed of 7.8 knots and drops dramatically further to 2 gph at 7.5 knots.* So the last 1.3 knots costs more than double in fuel use.*

This boat will cruise all day at 14 knots*if you are willing to pay for it.

Attachments

• susie 3.jpg
    susie 3.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 94
Larry. I know you've got one of the more level semi-planing cruisers out there, but I've seen other designs pass me with a more pronounced squat. It occurred to me that with swim-platform mounted davits that the dinghy could suddenly become a parachute full of water.....a sea anchor, if you will.

Larry,

Having spent a lot of time in LaConner I've seen lots of ATs. Some throw a nasty wake and are prolly going fast. I've always been a fan of Nordy's (the 32 anyway) and narrow boats but the level ride of your's is very apparent and desirable* .....until one heads into a steep chop and it gets wet. But no boat's perfect and everyone I've talked to w an AT loves it so the ride indeed must be grand. I went back and looked at your pics and remember suspecting your boat had a bit of an aft hook in the bottom. Is that so? It would explain the level ride. And I don't think the people on the foredeck are effecting the trim much.

While an AT 34 has similar accommodation as the Coot, I imagine they have a*very different in feel because while the AT is just over half the displacement of the Coot, it has over three times the power.

Healhustler

I have had the Livingston dinghy on the davits in*a great variety of sea and wind conditions, and on occasion have seen water curl up and into the boat. However, it is not much*volume, is only on one side or the other,*and drains very quickly. I'm not at all concerned that it will cause any serious problem.

Larry

Nomadwilly

The AT probably does throw a larger wake above hull speed than many of it's comparables, and it does tend to*throw a spray nosing into 3 footers and above. This shrimping hull is beamy and steep in the bow. However, the interior forward stateroom and head are very spacious for a boat of this size. Everything is a tradeoff.

Here is another picture and a diagram of the bottom. There isn't any visible aft hook in either.**

Attachments

• img_0137.jpg
    img_0137.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 98
  • at 34 diagram features.jpg
    at 34 diagram features.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 114
Mark

I agree. Wouldn't it be fun to trade places for an afternoon just to see?*

Larry

Woodsong wrote:
Keith- you've got/had some blisters my friend!!
Here is Living Light. I do wish they had carried the keel further aft to better protect the shaft. Someone may know why that was not a good reason???
*I have always wondered myself about the fact that some early trawler designs did not have the prop protected with a strut back to the rudder.* I was surprised to see your Monk like this. It took me a while to figure out how my configuration evolved.* The first couple of pics below are other MT 34's from the early 70's - a couple of distinguishing characteristics are the very small rub rails aft, and the unprotected prop. The first pic is "as built", and the second pic (the sedan) shows one owner's attempt to keep lines out of the running gear with a couple of brackets across the stern. Can't comment on how successful that might have been.*

The third pic (my boat, taken at hualout for survey years back) shows* a PO actually glassed in an extension of the keel and attached a strut that runs back under* the rudder.* At one point I thought the glassed-in* addition was the cause of leaks aft (turned out to be the shaft tube) which is why we ground it down during one stint on the hard.(pic 4, 5) .* The next* pic shows the basic lines of the MT34, semi-displacement, etc.

Underway, I am cursed by the front-heavy characteristic of these boats: only going c. 7 kts here, but showing a big bow wave and not much of a "trough"** aft the way a displacement boat would ride.

Attachments

• 2017989_15.jpg
    2017989_15.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 1832902_1.jpg
    1832902_1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 111
  • dsc00002.jpg
    dsc00002.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 105
  • dsc00003.jpg
    dsc00003.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 118
  • dsc00004.jpg
    dsc00004.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 102
  • img_1018.jpg
    img_1018.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 104
Great Laker wrote:
..*it does tend to*throw a spray nosing into 3 footers and above..
*Ditto with the Coot.* With the short, steep waves characteristic of my home waters, it isn't unusual to work the windshield wipers while heading into the waves.* ...* I'd be tempted to be a speed freak if we traded boats for an afternoon.* The Coot is slow at accelerating to hull speed, but turns on a dime because of its large rudder.

A keel-protected propeller and rudder was on my list of "must haves."

img_59560_0_677222ace3f1b05ba863ca3d8d4a4476.jpg

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 4th of September 2011 10:13:29 PM

Al Ross,

Got time for one more post. I see your CHB has a straight run aft near the keel. I have seen these boats out of the water before and thought they had a rather curved or convex inboard buttock line making them a bit more like a full disp hull. Either my eyes deceived me or CHP made more than one hull. So I need to take back some things I said about the CHB. Just that the CHB is like many other trawlers in that they are shaped mostly like a planing boat and probably would plane with enough power* ...probably several hundred HP. The tendency for many trawlers to run high in the stern and a bit down in the bow increases their efficiency by keeping their transom high and more out of the water but probably reduces their directional stability to some degree. And when you think about it, it all makes sense. Most trawlers have a well fwd placed wheelhouse and because of that the engine must be located well fwd as well. Since boats are wide and square at the stern and slim and narrow there is a pronounced differentiation of CG and center of lift (or support). The stern lifts the aft end of the boat easily but the bow has the heavy mechanical stuff and not as much lift. Some owners have remarked that their boats are a bit of a handful in following seas. But not many so the problem is obviously very slight or other elements redeem these boats to not suffer as they look like they should. The AT and the GB (among others) seem to ride very level. Anybody have theories to support that?

Eric, your comments above might help explain why my Lotus, now with both fuel and water tanks in the aft part of the hull, in the lazaret, (the old tanks being empty but still in place in the ER - buoyancy tanks I call them), feels so poised when surfing...yes surfing...down a big wave, with no hint of broach, and good steering feel. I've seen 11.5 kn on the GPS doing this in a big following sea.

I think your'e right Peter. Here's a pic of Willy early in the spring w nothing in the hold and the two 50 gal water tanks empty in the stern. She's clearly running bow down in this picture and I would'nt want to be in big following seas w a trim like that. Willy has as full a stern as most other trawlers* ..it's just rounded and that tends to hide it's true colors in this regard. I'm fussy about ballast and trim in any boat.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 408.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 408.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 90
Hauled and looking the worse for wear after 2 years (since last haul) in the Atlantic,Med and Carribean.

We towed a crane barge to the shipyard from NY. Pics are in Welland canal. Shipyard is in Erie,Pa. On lake Erie.

Props are 135"

-- Edited by Sailor of Fortune on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 09:36:31 AM

Attachments

• img_0842.jpg
    img_0842.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 95
  • img_0836.jpg
    img_0836.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 86
  • img_0854.jpg
    img_0854.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 100
  • img_0849.jpg
    img_0849.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 104
  • img_0848.jpg
    img_0848.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 106
Gee, after just*two years?

Jack, how high must your towing fees be to pay for such haulouts and repair?

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 11:00:07 AM

charles wrote:

Note the old marine railway,.......
***** I always loved bringing my boat to the hard in this manner. The "pucker" factor was much lower.

Attachments

• img_1783.jpg
    img_1783.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 103
  • img_1784.jpg
    img_1784.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 100
  • img_1786.jpg
    img_1786.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 100
  • img_1790.jpg
    img_1790.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 104
  • img_1816.jpg
    img_1816.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 105
S of F,

Amazing. Those propellers were designed to absorb a lot of power as evidenced by the squared off blades and max dia. Looks like the propellers got worked over. And those huge rudders without any support from below. VERY impressive rudders. Do they give trouble? Looking at the 4th pic I can't help think about what would happen if you stopped. haha

Mark
Very expensive! I'm just the bus driver,my only iput is from an operational stand point. Just to fill er up-242,000 gallons fuel x $3+ per gallon, you do the math. That is before crew/insurance/overhead/profit etc, etc

Chuck
As you know, many wooden boat owners insist on being hauled on a railway. Much more forgiving and predictable.

As A side note: The crane we towed up to the shipyard is owned by my employer as is the shipyard. When we go back in December, (NY) we will tow 2 new build barges with us. In the graving dock with the tug is the crane barge and a 700+ foot drycargo barge that is being made for a 10500Hp tug that was just built.

-- Edited by Sailor of Fortune on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 11:43:44 AM

Chuck - where would we be without duct tape?!

Chuck
As you know, many wooden boat owners insist on being hauled on a railway. Much more forgiving and predictable.
*My concurrent hoisting was by mobile crane and straps.* All previous hoistings (for delivery) were by shackle and cable ala container, using the steel-hulled Coot's*four permanent hoisting points as shown in previous photos.* Doesn't stop the nail-biting, however.

nomadwilly wrote:Looking at the 4th pic I can't help think about what would happen if you stopped. haha
*I never thought of it, but .... how is the barge stopped?

Here are two pictures of my vessel, one at 1750 RPM and 8.1 knots in flat water near Taku BC. The other of the aft hull, note rounded bottom. The DeFever 48 is different than some in the DeFever line with these rounded aft sections.

Mike, for some reason I was unable to view your sketches on my WIndows 7, any tricks I should try?

Attachments

• phosun glen.jpg
    phosun glen.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 113
  • sun_c_12_08_08_04_props__.jpg
    sun_c_12_08_08_04_props__.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 120
Eric- What you can't see in those pictures is my "brakes", a 2200 hp twin screw tug to stop me. I would have him go 30% astern and pull the barge and him into the lock. As I approached the end of the lock, I would have him reduce to 10% , then I would take it out of gear and we would all stop. A standard maneuver in tight quarters for tugs. We did 15 locks in 2 days. The rudders give no trouble, she has quick steering (about 12 seconds hard over to hard over, but the clutches are kind of slow-around 8-10 seconds to engage (it can be an eternity while manuevering 975 tons around).
Carl
The grill on the bow is a bow thruster (300 hp 8-71). I don't know what the diameter of the tthruster prop is.
Since you were aboard last Feb, She hasn't stopped for more than a day or two. Much of the worn paint near the waterline is from working in the ice (Hudson river). The crane barge is there to lift a 120 ton barge section from the drydock floor to hang on the new barge so welders can attach it , 3 other sections will be attached in the next few weeks. That barge is surplus to the companies needs in NY, so it will become part of the shipyards dockside arsenal.

Gentlemen

This is how you show a bottom!...Upside down...jejejejejejeje

Attachments

• f48_prop_space.jpg
    f48_prop_space.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 110
  • f53_laminacao_1.jpg
    f53_laminacao_1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 122
  • f58_how bigisit_1.jpg
    f58_how bigisit_1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 113
Well here's my babe's butt.

Dave

Attachments

• bfg butt.jpg
    bfg butt.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 113
Now this is real progress. A trawler that has a hull that's actually well suited to her trawler speeds. Can't see it from in the water pics at all. This is (to me) the most important part of a trawler. I'm guessing it's a Selene. Nice keel and rudder. Interesting thruster. But most important is the high (for a trawler) QBBL angle. Wish Nordic Tugs were like this.

Back
Top Bottom