Old 01-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #321
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Hi Eric, I want to give you one more reason to be other than white. At Northern Europe rarely very warm air, it is nice to have the sun's heat more colored hull, the difference is considerable. this one aspect.
I was born in and lived in Alaska six times and never heard that but it's obviously true. I like other colors .. just look at the blue on Heron's boat. I think white is the best color though. Heron's boat would be as pretty if it had Pilou's white but it would be harder to clean .. but it would be easier to see ect ect re all the variables. Many just want to be different. Look at all the weird names people are naming their children .. unique indeed but I think they think their child will turn out more special but being good parents will have far greater results. Work boats are frequently painted black because they get so dirty and it don't look so awful. I'm not a yacht club type but I prefer white on yachts, and all our boats are yachts.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #322
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
My boat is a light almond color. Not being white is nice to cut down glare on bright days, but I do prefer white.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #323
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Draft at fully loaded?

Preferred general cruising speed in calm open water and NMPG at that cruse speed?

NMPG at just below hull speed?

Does it plane... if so, WOT top speed?

Thanks! - Art
When not in fast water or in a hurry we usually travel just below our 9.3k hull speed at 9K burning 5-6 gal/hr. depending on conditions. For crossing straights or dealing with fast water maybe < 10% use 16K burning maybe 23/gal/hr. sometimes if timing is important we will travel at 10K burning 8-9 gal/hr. At 11K one nm/gal after 11K the fuel burn curve takes a sharp turn up. the fuel burns above are for running both engines. The boat will run well with only one and there is only a slight fuel savings. Does it plane? That answer would depend on how one defines plane. The hull is a modified Down East and most of the hull remains in the water at any speed riding relatively flat with the trim tabs even more so the bow wave at top speed is far forward for what would be considered a planning boat the down side with wind is a wet windshield. When new she did 23K at <80 % engine load the boat was under propped and still is. Now considerably heavier with all my junk aboard and a slight prop tweak she will top out at WOT 2600+rpm fully loaded at 20K at 80-85% engine load and run all day at 18K at 70% load. These are respectable speeds for a SD hull and would be considered slow for a planning boat. The beauty of the design is that the boat is happy and preforms well in sub hull speed mode and also has the sliding speed scale up to a 20K cruse if desired since the load is only 80+ % at WOT. What I have done is underpropped a common rail system to gain a lower power curve a little like putting in a chip to change the M rating of the engines. I could do the chips but it would probably cost me a few grand and the end result is similar. Note the bow wave in the picture it does not go back even at WOT so I would not consider this a planning boat. My idea of a planning hull is when the boat rides on a small flattish or v section near the stern with the bow wave well back and with most of the forward 2/3rds of the hull lifted out of the water. Almost forgot the draft 3.6-3.8 ft. loaded.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0169.jpg  
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #324
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
she is very beautiful and interesting structure. Here are some built this system also boats, are very stiff and strong hull, when the painting is always intact and prevent water from entering the structure. where and who he was built / designed?
Built by Sam Devlin in Olympia Washington. Dynel epoxy coated not paint keeping water out, think of it as a wood composite.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #325
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Thank you for the stats. Impressive boat!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #326
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Ed, I think you should duplicate this posting and the photos over on the Pilgrim subject thread where you were suggesting the wooden hull construction.

And I'm thinking the Pilgrim vessel's hull might just be built a little lighter than your 52 footer.
Brian the 4 layers of 8 mm were the thickest sections the # of 8mm layers were matched to the stress expected so the boat weight need not be heavy. some of my 32,000lb is related to heavy twin JD 6068 engines loads of machinery and equipment and tankage. My dinghy with engine weighs close to 500lb and there is that heavy Nick Jackson lift etc. etc. When I think boat building material my first thought goes to who built it and how. Pick any material or method and there will be good and bad examples for each. There are the inherent characteristics of each material to consider but in the end the quality and soundness will depend most on how well it was done and not on the particular material. The ply epoxy method used to build my boat was used in over 400 builds by the small shop and designer of my boat in a period spanning > 30 years. I have personally inspected some of these boat which have been used hard over time and they do very well and are not hard to repair. Many home built stich and glue boats have been poorly done and have given the technique a bad rap. I own a stich and glue dinghy that is almost forty years old never pampered still very serviceable. Another big plus for a wood composite is the interior. It is all epoxy soaked wood easy to finish and is quiet and insulated(no sweating). A composite boat can be painted with modern tough two part paint and products like truck bed liner. With darker wood trim a beautiful interior is not hard to build. Brian if there is some way to move a post I am not knowing this.
Attached Thumbnails
dinette.jpg  
Old 01-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #327
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
After looking at Pilou's pictures I can't see how anyone could want to paint a boat anything but white. That bow shot has me drop jawed.
Interesting my first choice for MR was white easy to care for and less heat build up on hull. My DW wanted dark blue or dark red and our lightest compromise is what she is. MY sail boat is dark green (one of the worst colors)I gave in to tradition for that type of 1800s design. I'm a sucker for a good looking boat.
Attached Thumbnails
K.I.S.S. 2.jpg  
Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #328
Guru

Your SB looks like a Catboat. Beautiful.

Re your #326 I love sedans and the great 360 degree visability. One of the big draws when we bought Willy.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #329

City: Pa
Vessel Model: Albin 27 fc
Strange hogged bottom repair

I saw these boats being repaired in New Orleans last year. They are some sort of fishing charter boat or ????
The entire external keel of this flat bottom boat was encapsulated in stainless steel. But really strange was the hogged curve of the at least 50' hull. I assume it was done to protect it from shallow running .But I dont believe it will flatten out in the water it was just way too much curve. Notice the 2 tiny wings on the front of the keel can't imagine what they are for!
I realize this is not my boat but it takes all sorts. Thought it was interesting.
Warren
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1072.jpg   IMG_1078.jpg   IMG_1073.jpg   IMG_1074.jpg  
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #330
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
My Girl's Bottom

1983 Island Gypsy 32
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04097.jpg   DSC04088.jpg   DSC04092.jpg  
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #331
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Warren, these boats are commercial oyster luggers. All that heavy duty stuff on the bottom including on the bow are for protection of the hull as the boat is run over shallow water oyster reefs during harvesting. Oyster fishing will sure tear a boat up quickly.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #332
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My boat is a light almond color. Not being white is nice to cut down glare on bright days, but I do prefer white.

I agree. In bright tropical sunlight, pure white hurts my eyes. I used a color called oyster white on Scot Free. I believe many Hatteras yachts came new in that color.

I love the color of Pilou's boat. But It wouldn't work for me. Might be something to do with the pale blue color of my eyes. I have noticed that brown eyed people don't seem to have as much of a problem. Looking at a pure white boat in tropical sunshine makes my eyes tear up, even when wearing my progressive lenses.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #333

City: Pa
Vessel Model: Albin 27 fc
Oyester boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Warren, these boats are commercial oyster luggers. All that heavy duty stuff on the bottom including on the bow are for protection of the hull as the boat is run over shallow water oyster reefs during harvesting. Oyster fishing will sure tear a boat up quickly.
Thanks a lot, I figured it was for shallow running but that hogged hull shape?
Maybe they do flatten out as they get loaded?
There was 2 or 3 do boats there so I guess they do it all the time!
Warren
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #334
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Had my forward-cabin's roof painted light tan to reduce glare for the helmsman.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #335
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Had my forward-cabin's roof painted light tan to reduce glare for the helmsman.

I also notice that the blue coloring reduces the glare from your arse!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #336
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I also notice that the blue coloring reduces the glare from your arse!
Yes, dull is good.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #337
Guru

Warren,
Can't imagine a good reason for the oyster boats to have a hogged keel other than the usual cause ... poor or/and thoughtless cribbing over time. And those boats would be prime candidates for hogging being wood and long and narrow.

But the SS keel shouldn't be subject to warping like wood ???

But you're absolutely right they are far more interesting than the average trawler. Thanks for posting.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:29 PM   #338
Guru

I believe the boat has a broken keel. They are not supposed to hog like that. Note that the stainless steel doublers on the keel are in two parts, split at mid length. I have seen worse. Originally these boats were built with an oak keel and cypress frames and planking. They have modified flat bottoms very much like a Lafitte Skiff. At the end of the season they all head to the shipyards and as they are hauled out you can see torn up rudders, keels, props etc., all indicative of being worked hard in tough locations. Over the years, the owners who do most of the work themselves, add bits and pieces and modifications to protect the hull so it will be better 'next year' . No two are exactly the same after years of mods.

Also in the pics you can see the keel coolers. These boats tend to have single Detroit Diesel 6-71s, with keel cooler and dry stack exhausts. I have seen one or two converted to pleasure boats, they usually show up at the the annual Wooden Boat Festival in Madisonville, La.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:40 AM   #339
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Brian the 4 layers of 8 mm were the thickest sections the # of 8mm layers were matched to the stress expected so the boat weight need not be heavy. some of my 32,000lb is related to heavy twin JD 6068 engines loads of machinery and equipment and tankage. My dinghy with engine weighs close to 500lb and there is that heavy Nick Jackson lift etc. etc. When I think boat building material my first thought goes to who built it and how. Pick any material or method and there will be good and bad examples for each. There are the inherent characteristics of each material to consider but in the end the quality and soundness will depend most on how well it was done and not on the particular material. The ply epoxy method used to build my boat was used in over 400 builds by the small shop and designer of my boat in a period spanning > 30 years. I have personally inspected some of these boat which have been used hard over time and they do very well and are not hard to repair. Many home built stich and glue boats have been poorly done and have given the technique a bad rap. I own a stich and glue dinghy that is almost forty years old never pampered still very serviceable. Another big plus for a wood composite is the interior. It is all epoxy soaked wood easy to finish and is quiet and insulated(no sweating). A composite boat can be painted with modern tough two part paint and products like truck bed liner. With darker wood trim a beautiful interior is not hard to build.
I am assuming there is less internal wood framing structure than would be found on an older wooden vessel design/build?

Is there any possibility it might appear as brief as this steel framing...

Do you have some photos of the internal framing of your wooden hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Brian if there is some way to move a post I am not knowing this.
I took the liberty of moving that posting of yours and a few of the photos over to the Pilgrim thread...
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:02 AM   #340
Guru

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
1983 Island Gypsy 32
Nice !
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote