Old 07-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #61
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Just one example. Quite a few years ago, the US Coast Guard was looking for a replacement vessel for their 82' patrol boats. Several things they wanted:
1) Good turn of speed
2) Economical to operate
3) Helo pad
4) Fast launching RIB capability

This design by Lock Crowther would have fit the bill VERY nicely. I tried to get the option to submit the proposal. I was even allowed to submit.

BUT it was before catamaran forms became 'acceptable', and it was designed by a foreigner (Australian).

Shortsightedness
Sorry but your story doesn't fly..literally about the helo pad for sure.

I was a fairly senior officer when the USCG was looking for replacement patrol boats...the helo pad wasn't part of the realistic approach even if it was thrown in there...because of the helo's the USCG used at the time were way too heavy for that class vessel....

There are many reasons why a "cat" may or may not have fit the bill...first and foremost they are usually more expensive than monos for a given length...plus berthing a cat can be a disaster in small places the USCG has to moor.

I'm sure the design could live up to the parameters you listed but that's just a short list...not all the requirements that ultimately didn't meet the USCG's satisfaction.

To blame the refusal sounds more like sour grapes than blaming it on old "gov't" fogeys.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #62
Guru

Quote:
Perhaps you should write Passagemaker mag and/or Dave Gerr and ask them to explain these numbers?

I don't know Tad, I just quoted the article.
magazine articles are always correct...just ask them.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #63
Guru

Quote:
BUT it was before catamaran forms became 'acceptable', and it was designed by a foreigner (Australian).
Shortsightedness
Or ever so slightly unkind.
Incat, located in Tasmania (the southern island state of Australia) built a range of wave piercing fast catamarans they call a SWATH (Small Waterplane Area Twin Hull) which were sold worldwide,including to the Australian Navy, probably others, and can be quite large.
A passenger/vehicular ferry version operates on the notoriously rough Backstairs Passage crossing between Cape Jervis on the South Australian mainland and Penneshaw on beautiful Kangaroo Island. You get good espresso coffee and pastries onboard for breakfast, but it`s not entirely advisable.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #64
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Or ever so slightly unkind.
Not sure how you are interpreting what I said about the designer Lock Crowther??

I meant only that as a foreign design that made it unacceptable to the US powers that be. Lock Crowther was a friend of mine from the early days of multihulls. I respected his designs immensely.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #65
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sorry but your story doesn't fly..literally about the helo pad for sure.

I was a fairly senior officer when the USCG was looking for replacement patrol boats...the helo pad wasn't part of the realistic approach even if it was thrown in there...because of the helo's the USCG used at the time were way too heavy for that class vessel....
I think you are correct there....the helo pad was not a 'requirement'. its been a long time ago, and I've forgotten a lot of the details of that transaction.

I was really disappointed that they didn't look seriously at more possible multihull designs.

Its a shame that new Navy littoral ship tri-hull vessel is plagued with corrosion problems as its performance is not lacking in comparison.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #66
Guru

Quote:
I think you are correct there....the helo pad was not a 'requirement'. its been a long time ago, and I've forgotten a lot of the details of that transaction.

I was really disappointed that they didn't look seriously at more possible multihull designs.

Its a shame that new Navy littoral ship tri-hull vessel is plagued with corrosion problems as its performance is not lacking in comparison.
maybe to make multihulls competitive...too many corners have to be cut.

wouldn't think so but that has plagued multihulls from the beginning...
Old 02-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #67

City: NY
I bought it

Greetings from this new member. I've enjoyed reading the comments on this heavily modified IG 32. I bought/stole her last month in a complicated estate situation. I'll be keeping her in Greenport, LI this season.

All her modifications are reversible. I will decide what if anything to do after a full season on the water. As a diver, I will probably keep the stern extension.

I'm thrilled with her all-new electronics, new fuel tanks, the layout, and her overall condition.

Feel free to stop by and see her this season.

Dave
satfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #68
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by satfly View Post
Greetings from this new member. I've enjoyed reading the comments on this heavily modified IG 32. I bought/stole her last month in a complicated estate situation. I'll be keeping her in Greenport, LI this season.

All her modifications are reversible. I will decide what if anything to do after a full season on the water. As a diver, I will probably keep the stern extension.

I'm thrilled with her all-new electronics, new fuel tanks, the layout, and her overall condition.

Feel free to stop by and see her this season.

Dave
Frequented Greenport in 1960's. Be well... have fun! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #69
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Congratulations, I would be interested know how she handles. Sounds like you got a lot of boat for the money.

A question though, is the running gear as per the original spec's.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote