Old 12-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #1

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Hull ID Number

This is my first post on this awesome forum. My wife and I have a Vripack trawler under contract. We had a successful survey and sea trial last week and we are scheduled to close next week. However, the insurer is having a fit because there is no standard Hull Identification Number on the boat. It is my understanding that HIN's were not required on European builds when the boat was built in 1993. Has anyone run across this situation? If so, how was it resolved?

Click image for larger version

Name:	001ae 01d 54-vripack-lady-galathea1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	70826

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Welcome!

This from Boatsafe.com

Hull ID Numbers - BoatSafe.com

All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN.

Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Is the boat documented? Some insurers will accept a documentation number instead of the HIN.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Is the boat documented? Some insurers will accept a documentation number instead of the HIN.
If it is documented, then the HIN should be on that document.....
Old 12-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: Archimedes
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Our boat is documented. I could not find the HIN when we registered the boat with the state of Washington. I gave them them what was on the plaque inside. GB42-572. They accepted that (oddly). Later, I found the HIN well hidden under the swim platform. I attempted to correct the information with the state, but they didn't care since the boat was documented. They just want the annual fee for registration.

Our insurance company only cared about the documentation number.
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
Guru

There has to be a HIN somewhere on that boat. I have mine on the stern and on a spare in the engine room. strange.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #7

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
The boat is documented. I just received a copy of the original builders certificate and import documents. The builders 'plate' on the boat only provides a three digit ID number, which fortunately matches the builders certificate and the USCG document. Hopefully this will suffice.
BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #8

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: Archimedes
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Our HIN turned out to be on the starboard stern up under the swim platform. Practically need a dive mask to find it.
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
The boat is documented. I just received a copy of the original builders certificate and import documents. The builders 'plate' on the boat only provides a three digit ID number, which fortunately matches the builders certificate and the USCG document. Hopefully this will suffice.
Maybe contacting the maker will get you the correct prefix, giving you a complete standard HIN
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #10
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
My boat, mfg'd in 1982 in Taiwan does not have a hull ID embossed on the stern starboard side as defined. Ct state registration requires a 12 digit number. My documentation package and all of the prior registrations / bills of sale reference an 11 digit number and the USCG documented number. Ct would not accept this format, Ugh. I have also brought the USCG certificate to Ct DMV and they did not want to hear it.

They have yet to receive my registration fees.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #11

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
A different sized boat, but...

When I went to reregister my Shell Lake skiff that had been out of the water since 1980's, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts boat registration folks assigned me a h.i.n. And gave me a nice green sticker with the no.
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Why does a boat made in Europe prior to 1998 have to have a HIN? HIN were a Canada/USA only mandate prior to that?

Canada has a process in which you can apply for a HIN for boats that do not have them.

I'd be throwing that question back to the insurer, or maybe finding a new one... Particularly for a Vripack. You think they'd know how to get around that bureaucratic nonsense themselves.

I'm sure it is a great boat!
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Hull ID Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Why does a boat made in Europe prior to 1998 have to have a HIN? HIN were a Canada/USA only mandate prior to that?

Canada has a process in which you can apply for a HIN for boats that do not have them.

I'd be throwing that question back to the insurer, or maybe finding a new one... Particularly for a Vripack. You think they'd know how to get around that bureaucratic nonsense themselves.

I'm sure it is a great boat!

Indeed, my boat is a custom built and the builder requested a HIN that is now on a plate riveted to the ER wall.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
If so, how was it resolved?
Attachment 70826
The HIN plate fell off? Tsk Tsk. You could simply rivet on a new one.
https://www.ebay.com/i/182807944335?chn=ps

vripack may have designed the boat, Timmerman may have built it, XXX imported it. The importer was supposed to obtain the Manufacturers Identification Code but if it was sold in country of origin or a tax haven then all bets are off.

Just send the insurance co a rubbing of the builders plate. Should suffice for a documented vessel.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #15
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
It is a US federal requirement to have a conforming HIN and USCG is enforcing this: https://snohomishcountywa.gov/DocumentCenter/View/43323

Our boat never had one. At renewal time this year Washington state vehicle licensing issued us one, we had plates engraved and installed them, done.

The marine title company you are using for your purchase can probably help with this, depending on what state you are going to register it in.
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #16

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
As QB said, above, the state where you register the vehicle can simply assign one. Many, many vessels and vehicles have no manufacturer ID number. Think about home-built cars, boats and aircraft. Think about older vessels that were built before such numbers were required, or were built in jurisdictions where it was not required.

We imported our 41-year-old boat from Canada this past year. It had no builder's number whatsoever. Washington simply assigned us one, gave us some information on several places to have engraved plates made up, and told us where and how to install them.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #17
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post

We have HIN's down here since 1972 as well.

They are always HIN plate on the transom and in another hidden place; both of which must be viewed by an official when re-registering the boat interstate.

I forgot to ask the previous owner where it was and I couldn't contact him when I went to register it. It took me two days of searching before I found it on the underside of a cabinet top in the forward cabin. I had to remove the drawer and stick my head in the drawer opening to see it.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:58 AM   #18
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
It is very common for boats to not have a HIN number on them. Rules for HIN numbers have changed over time and many boats have updated HIN on paper but not on the boats.

If the boat has ever been documented in the USA then there has been a HIN number assigned to it but not necessarily attached. The seller should be able to produce paper work which shows the HIN number.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:45 AM   #19
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
This is my first post on this awesome forum. My wife and I have a Vripack trawler under contract. We had a successful survey and sea trial last week and we are scheduled to close next week. However, the insurer is having a fit because there is no standard Hull Identification Number on the boat. It is my understanding that HIN's were not required on European builds when the boat was built in 1993. Has anyone run across this situation? If so, how was it resolved?

Attachment 70826
Yes here in Europe Hull numbers CIN had been in use for a long time. Here built boats it is usually found on the right of the boat Stern, look carefully it is of the same type as you have US manufacturing ground, manufacturer code, frame number and last manufacturing month and year the last two digits. Your Code start NL= manufacture counry Netherland, If it's made in Holland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craft_...ication_Number

NBs

P.S. In my opinion, a design office in Holland still exists, you can ask them about everything and everything about your boat, I do not know whether they have built boats or just designed and constructed another company that uses a well-known designer's name in its product

Vripack - Home
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #20
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
There has to be a HIN somewhere on that boat. I have mine on the stern and on a spare in the engine room. strange.
I understand that it is common practice for manufacturers to put the HIN also in a second, usually hidden, location.

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote