How are you organizing your Nuts Screws Bolts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spottsville

Vessel Name
Quiet Company
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH-47
Here is my tube of fasteners...there has to be a better way. What's yours?

Attachments

• IMG_8674.jpg
    IMG_8674.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 116
Mine is all nuts and bolts unsorted in a box.

L.

The marine electonics place I worked for used tackle boxes.

Either the kind with internal trays, or the carrier with sectioned boxes.

The boxvstores all seem to have fastener organizers.

I have 2 carriers with 4 boxes per. One for screws, one for bolts. Then I have 15 or so plano sectioned for electrical, plumbing, clips, etc....

I use a plastic tackle box with smaller containers inside.
Nuts/bolts in one container all mixed up, washers in another, etc.

I have all my nuts bolts split pins ect in a plastic Tupperware container the amount of times I need anything it isn't worth the effort or loss of space using another method Its a boat not a work shop

Greetings,
Mr. S. I too have a "system" similar to yours but I also have an el cheapo carrier similar to this: https://store.snapon.com/Parts-Stor...-5-Drawers-15-1-2-x-14-1-2-x-16--P637243.aspx
but smaller and most definitely cheaper (bought it at Big Lots for less than $10-Should have bought 3 or 4).

HAH! Just did a quick search on Harbor Freight...Part #68238 and Part #40528 on this page https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/part-storage.html

The main advantage I've found is several lidded bins in a carrying case keeps things organized AND easy to tote a variety of containers with one hand. The other hand being for Band-Aids and the "cuss jar".

Organizers don't work for me. after a while I wind up with more things than will fit onto the space or are too long or too big etc.

Everything Removed from packaging to save space and dumped into a box works for me. The trick is to have a tray that you dump them into to look for what you want. then the tray is poured back into the box. Worked for years.

I have a stainless box, brass box, plumbing box, hose clamp box, electrical box etc.

A zip lock baggie in a galley drawer for a quick location to put loose odds and ends. Every once in awhile sort the contents into those compartmentalized cases that I keep elsewhere

I use Plano Stowaways. Depending on whats going in I size the compartments and use a drop of hot glue to hold the dividers in place. I hate when stuff migrates under the dividers! I also keep like size in the same compartment, IE SS 1/4-20 nuts bolts and washers to minimize the empty air space. Plain steel would go in another cell. You can get carried away separating everything perfectly, but that takes up a lot of room.
Basically, one tray holds SS 1/4" and under. One for everything over 1/4". One for electrical crimp terminals. One for heat shrink tubing, ty-wraps, cable supports and spare bulbs.

Last edited:
Various sizes of Chinese Food containers and old deli meat boxes. . .

Over my lifetime, I've found it less frustrating to sift through a tub of fasteners for the odd screw or bolt on occasion then trying to not only organize but KEEP organized said fasteners in some kind of "system".

Not every size or type has its own spot, but close enough that a few seconds is required to find what I need, not many minutes sorting through to find 2 or 4 of the same.

Then again I have a lot of leftovers that were given to me when I left the marine electronics pkace.

They gave away hundreds of dollars worth of stuff because resorting lazy employee tackle boxes wasn't cost effective.

I resort every couple of months while watching bad TV.

This thread's title made me laugh because I just spent 5 minutes sifting through my unorganized nuts & bolts unsuccessfully trying to find a bolt...

Thank you for the post, RTF, I checked out the link and got some ideas on how to better organize my spares. Now to convince my 7-yr old daughter she doesn't need one of her clear plastic beading trays!

There is a reason they called the giant tub of metal a "hell box". My father had one, and there is no way i was going to repeat such a scheme. I sort threaded by diameter. All 1/4" related SS or bronze in one container, #10 in another ,etc etc.
Sheet metal screws all together.
Plated steel isolated in one container.

Looking through a giant tub with M4 mixed with #8 and M5 with #10 coarse and fine will make you crazy.

I gave up. Whatever I had, I either didn't have the correct length, size, or quantity. I'd have nuts without matching bolts, or vice versa. The right size and length but in pan heads when I needed oval or flat heads. Whatever I had was never what I needed.

Now I buy what I need as as I go.

Greetings,
Mr. S. I too have a "system" similar to yours but I also have an el cheapo carrier similar to this: https://store.snapon.com/Parts-Stor...-5-Drawers-15-1-2-x-14-1-2-x-16--P637243.aspx
but smaller and most definitely cheaper (bought it at Big Lots for less than $10-Should have bought 3 or 4).

HAH! Just did a quick search on Harbor Freight...Part #68238 and Part #40528 on this page https://www.harborfreigh2t.com/tool-storage/part-storage.html

The main advantage I've found is several lidded bins in a carrying case keeps things organized AND easy to tote a variety of containers with one hand. The other hand being for Band-Aids and the "cuss jar".

RT,

Good choices, I use similar to the 24 compartment from HF, and have about 30 of them. Very easy to organize by bolts, nuts, screws, cotter, rivets, etc., etc. So when I want something I just look for the box labeled so.

And easy to transport.

I use hardware for boats, home, shop and aircraft. Im an aircraft mechanic, so most of the stuff is stored in my hangar. There's a lot of overlap, so I'll have some duplicate boxes of stuff, and some specialized only for boat.

I keep parts and bigger hardware in bigger storage boxes, and categorize it as to what it's for. Like engine parts/ hull parts/electrical, etc.

You just can't have too many screws or parts.

Interesting thread. I'm with cool beans.

I wonder if there is a corollary between risk tolerance and fastener organization?

I always buy extras so the storage will always take more space. never had a problem finding something when spread out in a tray.

Here is mine. It is two-sided with an inner and outer section per side. It's a pretty cool box to work out of. I use one side for fasteners and one side for electrical thingys. Crimps, spade connectors, bulbs, etc. All you have to do is be careful moving it. While it hasn't hit the deck yet, I assume it will happen sooner or later and I will have hundreds if things to resort :)

Attachments

• Tackle.JPG
    Tackle.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 62
Harbor Freight, have several for bolts, nuts , screws, bulbs , fuses, breakers, splices, lugs, connectors etc. They stack nicely.

Attachments

• Bolt storage.jpg
    Bolt storage.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 114
Greetings,
As has been mentioned, label the bins/trays/containers. I do all 6 sides so no matter how they're stowed, I can see a label.

Its a boat not a work shop

oh - I don't know. the line is often blurred.

I have a good selection of assorted hardware in various containers, but I justify it by storing it down low and calling it ballast.

I use Plano or similar divider boxes for small parts. LOts of options with a bit of lookling.
I use a lot of cleaned out peanut butter jars. Tough, several sizes and you can see what's in them. I do divide up to the degree that 1/4 bolts and bit are in one jar, 5/16 another jar and so on. The peanut butter jars reside in an old cleaned out cat litter tray, several of them.

I look for plastic containers with screw top lids such as peanut or cashew jars including some other food types.

I also use some small Rubbermaid bins for the larger spare parts.

Whatever works best for what I'm storing and space allows. I do not have space to get picky about the actual storage means.

I will not use glass jars though, not on the boat.

Twelve Plano tackle boxes. Two for bolts, large and small, one for for nuts of all sizes. Three boxes for screws. One for grommets, two for small crimp terminals, one for hose clamps, one for large cable crimps, two for fuses.

Plano boxes with dividers. My new to me 'sportie' has these built in everywhere. Since I don't really know how to fish yet :hide: I am using them to store fasteners, connectors and other bits and pieces while I update the boat.

When the updates are finished, I'll use them to store all of that expensive fishing tackle etc. . . . you know, when I learn how to [STRIKE]fish[/STRIKE] catch :rofl:

524-1-md.jpg

I have some boxes similar to post #21. I have a sheetmetal screw box, a bolt, nut and washer box, an electrical connector up to 12 gauge box, a large electrical connector box from #6 to 4/0 and 2 snap boxes. I live in a somewhat remote location so I keep a fairly large supply of stuff so I don't have to drive for every project. I go to the hardware store every now and then and buy a bunch of every size to restock the boxes. I like having them sorted at least by the type of fastener or whatever, saves a lot of time when I am working.

One clear Plano box with dividers for screws and finish washers, another for machine screws, bolts, washers, and nuts. For larger items I use clear plastic shoe boxes.
When I stack them I use a piece of non skid shelf liner between the boxes and between the floor and boxes to keep them from sliding around.

Harbor Freight, have several for bolts, nuts , screws, bulbs , fuses, breakers, splices, lugs, connectors etc. They stack nicely.

I have several HFT assortment-boxed separators at home; none on boat.

On boat, although have no photo and cannot recall where I purchased it years ago: I keep a thick two sided assortment carry case that has deep, various width/length compartments. It is filled with much nut, screw, bolt and other relatively small fastener assortments. Fairly heavy due to amount of contents. Although pretty good latches on each side I make sure to keep very good bungee cords tightly wrapped around it in alternating directions. Would not want it to fall and bust open... OMG, what a pick-it-up mess that would create! :eek:

For other items such as plumbing, electrical, calking, tapes and such I have assorted sizes of rugged clear plastic sacks with zippers and/or snaps. Now, thinking more on this I believe I picked up our boat's item storage containers at "The Container Store", a chain of outlets. :thumb:

I also keep considerable assortment of tools aboard... probably too many! :nonono:

I stash most of these items in forward cabin underneath V-bunk in three big doored cabinets, one to center front and one each side. Also stash extra line of all sizes there as well as other things such as complete AC/DA electric panel in forward closet. Oh crap, am I becoming a marine "old salt" pack rat??? - LOL :lol:

If I let the stern 77 gallons of freshwater tanks get too low. Waterline begins to get thinner in bow, wider in rear. Guess, some day, I'll clear out at least some "things" I keep aboard and simply leave em in our sizable dock box... however... I must clean that out first! :facepalm:

Happy On-Board Item-Storage Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom