How well do solar panels work in the Pacific NW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
House bank and Hot water system at 100% by lunchtime.
We have 2.2kW of panels.

How many panels did you use to get 2.2KW ?

Like some others I have really good charging sources while away from the dock. Large capacity alternator on one of the engines, and a nice NL 9kw generator.

My boat also uses between 35 and 40 amps of DC pretty continuously, even though I have LED lighting. Lots of stuff on the boat, and I do not desire making any lifestyle sacrifices

What that means is that I am using around 840 amp hours a day or around 10 KWH. This is not including the electric stove, or the watermaker, washer drier, things that cannot run off of the inverter.

I was thinking of adding two 160W solar panels, but I’m rethinking that. Using the 30 AH per 100W number thrown out there in this thread This setup would provide around a hundred AH per day for probably 6 months or so, but no more than that.

While cruising that might reduce my generator run time by an hour a day at the most but probably not, and while at the dock it might reduce my power bill by $10 per month but only if I capture the entire output, which will not necessarily happen since my boat is plugged into shore power all the time.

For me the approx $1000 investment would not only never pay for itself, it wouldn’t help reduce my dependency on generator power either.

Personally guys I like my generator. It is so quiet you cannot hear it, it is reliable, and it produces enough energy to live my life at sea without compromising anything.

Last edited:
Running a noisemaker to a battery charger seldom produces the rated charge to the batt set.

The best DC charging comes from a large alternator belted to the noisemaker.

The solar can top off the charging as WLA batts are very slow to fill the last 10%-15%.

Even a modest charge will help lower sulfation from not getting 100% fully charged.

Charging to 100% or more will add considerably to battery capacity at mid life and beyond.

Last edited:
I've had way too many people tell me that, in a loud voice, so they could be heard over the genset.

They don’t have the right generator.

My watermaker honestly makes more noise than my generator.

The reality is that on my boat, without making significant changes to my lifestyle solar will not
A. Save money
B. Reduce generator run time.

I’m not saying it’s not the right choice for some, just not for my boat. Not with a 10 KW a day DC load plus the need for AC to run things like the watermaker, clothes washer, etc... Believe you me I’d buy it today if it would save enough money to pay for itself, or significantly reduce my generator hours.

Last edited:
I came to pretty much the same conclusion as Kevin for many of the same reasons, and we cruised in predominantly sunny climes. I just couldn't get it to pencil out for us. And i really like solar and wind; I almost went ahead and did it just for ecological issues to partially offset our otherwise massive carbon footprint. I think prices have come doen a lot in the last 8 years though, no?

My boat also uses between 35 and 40 amps of DC pretty continuously, even though I have LED lighting. Lots of stuff on the boat, and I do not desire making any lifestyle sacrifices

Wow, that's a lot.
After the sun goes down during peak times we use about 20amps
If up during the night anywhere between 5 amp and 15 amps depending on how many of the 4 fridges and freezers are running at the same time.(total of 850 litres / 30 cubic feet)

I came to pretty much the same conclusion as Kevin for many of the same reasons, and we cruised in predominantly sunny climes. I just couldn't get it to pencil out for us. And i really like solar and wind; I almost went ahead and did it just for ecological issues to partially offset our otherwise massive carbon footprint. I think prices have come doen a lot in the last 8 years though, no?

I paid €200 per 320 kW panel two years ago but I recently saw a quote for €80 for 280 kW panels, so dirt cheap.

As FF mentioned, if nothing else, the panels can extend the life of the batteries.

I paid €200 per 320 kW panel two years ago but I recently saw a quote for €80 for 280 kW panels, so dirt cheap.

As FF mentioned, if nothing else, the panels can extend the life of the batteries.

You mean watts, not kilowatts.

Back
Top Bottom