OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhervey View Post
The lack for free board on the back of that tug in the original post really catches my eye.

Ya they start out one of these.

OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #22
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Porman they use a working channel, not 16. I forget what it is but they appreciate you letting them know your intentions and stay out of their way!

Vessel Traffic will likely tell you which channel.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Last summer up in BC we heard quite a few professional mariners announcing their intentions on channel 16, even at Dodd Narrows. We also did NOT hear quite a few professional mariners announcing their intentions, being a little surprised a few times by them!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #24
OFB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Last summer up in BC we heard quite a few professional mariners announcing their intentions on channel 16, even at Dodd Narrows. We also did NOT hear quite a few professional mariners announcing their intentions, being a little surprised a few times by them!
Yup .
Old 02-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #25
OFB
Guru

ch 16 is for distress or hailing.

Go to a " working channel " .

I hear this all the time.

Can you imagine the "air waves " if every commercial boat in say the Georgia strait basin area broadcast there intentions on 16 ? Thinking local so I have no way of imagining the Hudson River. or the ICW.

From Puget sound , up the Fraser river, all over the San Juan, the gulf islands , Vancouver harbor, Howe sound. One May Day simply takes this channel this type of information away from us if say ya can not use 16. I get it that if no one moves no one gets hurt but thats not reality < grin >

Be careful with assumptions , best to simply be aware and safe , kinda prudent IMO.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #26
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
OFB,
The Rat Pack from Port McNeill was on 16 calling each other, usually did switch over,
to announce each fish strike, catch, lure change etc. we quit monitoring 16 when
fishing the Kingcome Inlet area.

Years later, not really very many, the CCG shut down most of the local stations and
replaced them with repeaters. This meant that until at least the late 1990s that a mayday call would result in a channel 16 "shut down" from the Fraser River to Cape Calvert at minimum, some 300 miles.

Channel 16 no longer useful for local calls, do not monitor.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Ventura CA
Vessel Name: Proud Mary
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
I've never heard a tug with a log raft warn anybody when going through Dodd Narrows. Has anybody? The only radio traffic I've ever heard was from other pleasure boaters telling others to watch out.
I have. When headed south for Dodd Narrows in 2013 we intended to get there at slack tide about 12:15 pm. There were several boats just ahead of us. We got a call on Ch 16 from a tug and log tow that said he would enter Dodd Narrows at precisely 12:15 North to South. When we got closer we could see the tug and logs, much like the picture. All the other boats were able to pass the tug and go through ahead of him. We didn't quite make it and had to follow him through at about 4 knots. He was extremely professional and did enter at precisely 12:15. There was a second tug at the back of the log tow.

Paul
Paul Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #28
OFB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
OFB,
The Rat Pack from Port McNeill was on 16 calling each other, usually did switch over,
to announce each fish strike, catch, lure change etc. we quit monitoring 16 when
fishing the Kingcome Inlet area.

Years later, not really very many, the CCG shut down most of the local stations and
replaced them with repeaters. This meant that until at least the late 1990s that a mayday call would result in a channel 16 "shut down" from the Fraser River to Cape Calvert at minimum, some 300 miles.

Channel 16 no longer useful for local calls, do not monitor.

Ted
Yup.

CB radio , still use it today as an example. Yet 30 years later we seem to have forgotten the "rules ". CB works great for me today on the boat. Channel 9 or such for beach to boat as an example. Cheap hand set , base station etc.

Lots of work arounds instead of VHF 16 be my point.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #29
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Well,,,, we still do channell 16. Hailing only. If you want to talk a bit you will be told where to go .
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #30
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Actually Ch 16 for security calls is perfectly normal...even in busy places. Not ideal but common.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #31
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The BC Ferries usually announce a "Sécurité" on16 when going through Active, but do it so quickly, you can't make out a word of it.

BTW, not all tugs with tows show up on AIS. A tug and tow came out of the fog near us in Wells Channel. We were trying to figure it out on the radar. We had some room but it did surprise us all right. Would have given it a wider berth if we had understood what it was sooner.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
One of my pet peeves is 40 ft pleasure boats calling Securete for Dodd Narrows. If it is necessary because of visibility I am OK with it, but to hear this 10 or 20 times a day in gorgeous weather, when all they are doing is passing through a 1/4 mile of a channel wide enough for them to pass almost anything that goes there (except the example log boom) is so unnecessary.
As previously mentioned, that log boom and its tow are likely on Victoria Traffic, channel 11, not 16, so don't even hear them.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote