How useful is a cockpit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AS to the negatives...really the only one I can think of is loss of interior space unless the cockpit is designed to be a danger to the boat in anything less than survival weather.

I will say that many have listed positives that are not really negatives on other boats. For me groceries are placed on a side deck WAY easier than any cockpit, they can be reached from the salon and handed straight down to the galley. My former liveaboard was a sportfish.

And many other "pluses" of cockpits aren't any better than other attributes of other boats, but in the eyes of cockpits owners.... that argument will never fly.

As to sundeck boats with cockpits being the best of all worlds, dont forget garages for tenders and jet skis and enclosed flybridges with open ones on top.... yep... that's exactly what I mean.....big enough boats can have everything you want in a boat...but try to get all that on a 36 or 40 something.

Last edited:
......As to sundeck boats with cockpits being the best of all worlds, dont forget garages for tenders and jet skis and enclosed flybridges with open ones on top.... yep... that's exactly what I mean.....big enough boats can have everything you want in a boat...but try to get all that on a 36 or 40 something.
Great point. I was one of the posters calling it best of all worlds. I meant best of all worlds that I can afford or could reasonably consider when boat shopping. You're exactly right.... a garage for tenders and the typical massive swim platform that comes with it would be quite a step up from my old Taiwan Tub cockpit trawler! They are clearly playing at a different level. I love seeing that stuff! It is inspiring!

Boats are generally priced by length. Cockpits take up length and reduce interior volume.
Depending on where you live the use of an open cockpit may be less than an enclosed aft deck with opening windows.
Our last boat had aft deck with enclosure that opened easily. We got much of the outside living of a cockpit without being in the direct sun all the time. it was useable in cold and rain as well.

The OP specified 42-45 range. When boat shopping we narrowed the field down to a GB 46 motor yacht or a 44-46 Ocean Alexander...both because of the outside space. The OA won out because of the cockpit. Most of the docks on Lake Michigan are floaters. My spouse was not comfortable hanging out over the water when boarding from the rear. Also, the GB ladder at the rear was blocked by the dink, which occupied the swim platform space. So it was board via staircase on the dock or ladder off the side. Dragging around a set of stairs or a collapsible ladder was not appealing. Given the choice we both preferred the convenience of the cockpit. By the way, there's a step up from the swim platform to the deck of the cockpit, so the ladder up to the sundeck is only 3 steps. Easy to lift the dog up onto the sundeck. No way my spouse could do it from a typical swim platform on a motoryacht. I guess it came down to safety.

The extra interior space on the GB was in the aft cabin and a bit in the salon. The OA interior suits us just fine. There's storage under the cockpit along with the water tank and a holding tank. Access to the rudder mechanism and autopilot systems is excellent. As mentioned earlier I keep two big storage boxes on the deck. It's not like it's wasted space. It's the garage/basement plus a spot to hangout or fish.

Dinghy boarding/deboarding really occurs from the swim platform. A cockpit wouldn't really apply.
A cockpit only comes into play doing three things:

1) Sitting/lounging near the water line.

2) Fishing

3) Line handling from the stern.
I We have a cockpit which we love and I don't agree with the "three things statement." There are so many uses for a cockpit ...Too numerous to mention here. Our dinghy is constantly tied to the swim platform when in the slip or on a mooring. When traveling, It's mounted on the bow. (Which I hate!)

Attachments

• IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2834.jpg
    IMG_2834.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 47
"Interesting that there hasn't been any comment about the negatives of having a cockpit"

Mako, The fact that cockpit size reduces interior volume is the biggest negative I'm aware of, and big cockpits like mine are a significant tradeoff. Rather than having a fairly big aft stateroom and head, I have two smallish staterooms and heads forward. Is it worth it? For us, definately. To have the luxury of all that room for fishing as well as a big patio area was exactly what we wanted.

The cockpit on the AT34/36 is small. IMO, it is designed for line handling and someplace to put the grill. It is too small for a couple of deck chairs and I really dont care. I like living "inside" the boat. That's where I keep the A/C and heat.

It’s a very important space for us. Out of the rain, the wind or even the sun if necessary. We have a mix of shades, isinglass, and bug screens we can zip on. And it’s really big on a KK42.

Anna Inlet, Gwaii Haanas and Rescue Bay, Central Coast.

Anna Inlet 2nd time 2.jpg

Rescue Bay.jpg

JDCave, that cockpit (more of a back porch,really, as I have heard some KK owners express it) on the KK42 is really a wonderful space. In our search, that space made the KK42 hit our short list for sure. It is not what we ended up with, but we really love those boats.

The recreational cruising boats 98% of us lust after have cockpits. The other 2% need to get out more. :D

I have a cockpit and a main berth amidship. For me, it's the best of both worlds....and great for fishing, eating, socializing, accessing water and dock lines!

If the cockpit forces berth to be forward then a big drawback is noise when anchored.
It doesn't in many designs. Ours, for example, has a full beam master in the aft cabin, then a cockpit behind that. You will see this design a lot. Also, some of larger cockpit boats will have a mid-ship master stateroom.

One of the other funny things I have noticed on this thread is the statement that a disadvantage is that a cockpit reduces interior space. I get it, sort of, but not really. I have always viewed our cockpit as added exterior space. In fact in some ways that is the disadvantage -- we have more length to our boat than we otherwise would have. Ours is basically a sundeck style boat with a cockpit added to the back. The 43' sundeck version of our boat had all the interior space we wanted. Ours has 6' extra feet tacked on the back for the cockpit, resulting in 49' length. No less interior space. Just more exterior space and length. It's a different way to look at it.

Well heck....how about a flight deck? Absolutely not a way to look at it....it's a compromise....on several levels.

Not many will argue that a boat big enough can have what almost anybody wants....

But at some point things like cockpits, standup engine rooms, walkin anchor/Bos'n lockers, sun decks, hot tubs, etc....etc will require sacrificing something till the length and beam grow to an appropriate size and cost.

I really think everyone gets it.... I mean look at the arguments for a 23 foot center console versus a 23 foot walkaround.... just so much fits and works for different expectations.

For a lot of people....ONE boat design feature may be whether or not it makes thes hort list...and many times its cost(s).....thus limiting size and features within.

So while there are virtues of a cockpit, saying there is no downside assumes you can have exaxtly the same boat with or without one....same length, beam, draft, cost, layout, air conditioning/heating requirements, visibility, handling charachteristics, etc...etc...

Last edited:
We’ve thought about closing a part of ours in for more cabin space, but it’s just been all talk. Ours is about 11x11,and actually it’s too much for a 32 ft boat.
If we ever start using the boat more in cold weather we might close it in some but I doubt it. The good thing is it’s a great cockpit for people to hang out and they know they gotta go come bedtime.

Attachments

• 36857F80-A4C0-4367-AF64-965A69848C24.jpg
    36857F80-A4C0-4367-AF64-965A69848C24.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
psneed, I agree. Boats are full of compromises. While a cockpit is important to us, I stated above what I saw as a downside. I had just never thought of it as less interior space. Instead I always thought it was an extra 6 feet on a boat that already had the interior space we wanted. That extra length is a negative. It's 6 more feet to pay for when it comes to haul outs, insurance, docking, etc. and 6 more feet of length when it comes to handling in tight quarters. Those negatives are more than offset by the positives in my opinion. In fact, if you take the cockpit off the boat, it is still a lovely boat, but it is no longer a fit for us. It's a compromise for sure. Said another way... it's a boat.

The 43' sundeck version of our boat had all the interior space we wanted. Ours has 6' extra feet tacked on the back for the cockpit, resulting in 49' length. No less interior space. Just more exterior space and length. It's a different way to look at it.
That extra length is a negative. It's 6 more feet to pay for when it comes to haul outs, insurance, docking, etc. and 6 more feet of length when it comes to handling in tight quarters. Those negatives are more than offset by the positives in my opinion.
Well yes, boats are compromises and are very personal to it's owner's needs. But all this still reminds me that "bigger is better" when it comes to boats. At least for those who cruise and aren't staying put at a marina. I came to the conclusion years ago that if I spent a lot of time at dock then 50ft would be my upper limit. But my 65ft boat was fantastic out at sea, anchored anywhere and just moving around.

Besides initial expense.....Extra length also costs in maintenance costs and hrs.

Plus usually harbor draft, maneuvering room,yard haulout ability......

Always a compromise.

Last edited:
I suppose it is all just personal preference. We will not ever own a boat without a decent cockpit. We spend most of our time when not running hanging out in our cockpit and swim platform.

Most of the livability features touted for cockpits are available with an aft deck. The aft deck does not use interior space as it is usually over an aft cabin. The aft deck is often easily enclosed and has a top to offer shade. Aft deck are usable in any weather while an open cockpit is not.

The cockpit offers easier access to floating docks at the expense of living space IMO unless you fish then a cockpit is necessary.

The cockpit offers easier access to floating docks at the expense of living space IMO unless you fish then a cockpit is necessary.
:iagree::Thanx:

Attachments

• SeaLube.jpg
    SeaLube.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 37
Our cockpit is like the back deck on our dirt house. We use both all the time. Without them, it would be like living in a hotel room.

The original Bill Garden designed Willard 36 Sedan has a huge covered cockpit. No matter who is aboard, or what we are doing, it is the focal point of all activity. FullSizeRender.jpg

The covered cockpit and side decks on our DF 48 are a necessity for our all weather cruising style. Wet, cold, snow rain - all need to taken into account. Side deck doors and an aft cockpit door make for safe and easy step off access to any dock. Dock access is a 100% requirement for my wife and me.

Underneath the cockpit is a diesel heater, fuel tanks, storage and great access to the rudders. The aft cabin is in no way compromised size wise by the cockpit. Plus a longer water line improves handling and efficiency. Fortuitously, our vessel fits a 50 foot dock which are in great abundance in BC and AK.

We ended up selecting 42 with full beam , aft cockpit, sundeck pilot house trawler space inside like 48-50 ...access on off boat sweet from aft deck and PH rail doors.no fly bridge too many steps for us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom