How To Tell Electricity Went Off At Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Went to boat today and fans were off meaning at some time since last visit electricity had went off. How can you tell how long it was off? Did food in freezer defrost and refreeze?

Went to boat today and fans were off meaning at some time since last visit electricity had went off. How can you tell how long it was off? Did food in freezer defrost and refreeze?

An interesting question! It would certainly be possible (and not all that difficult) to make a battery-powered circuit (probably with an Arduino board) which would do it, but I do not know of any commercial units available. I'll be interested to see if anyone knows of any.

An electric analog clock or an analog timer will be off during the power outage and will restart when the power comes back. Time lost is the time power is out if less than 12/24 hours depending on device.

Greetings,
Mr. k. Real simple. Take a plastic water bottle. Fill it half full with water. Put it in the freezer ON IT'S SIDE. When frozen, stand the bottle upright. IF the freezer ever defrosts/thaws, the "pillar" of water in the bottle will melt and refreeze at the bottom of the bottle. Cost? Maybe $.05...

An electric analog clock or an analog timer will be off during the power outage and will restart when the power comes back. Time lost is the time power is out if less than 12/24 hours depending on device.

Yeah, that would probably cover it pretty well. Few of us do military time these days (although I do), so probably 12 hours would be the normal limit for an analog clock. Not sure how long before frozen stuff will defrost enough pose a danger. So far as the OP, if it were me, and I was in doubt, I would toss the frozen stuff just on general principles. :)

Greetings,
Mr. k. Real simple. Take a plastic water bottle. Fill it half full with water. Put it in the freezer ON IT'S SIDE. When frozen, stand the bottle upright. IF the freezer ever defrosts/thaws, the "pillar" of water in the bottle will melt and refreeze at the bottom of the bottle. Cost? Maybe $.05...

Brillant!!! How in the everloving blue-eyed world did you come up with that, RTF???

I spent a few minutes typing up how to make a simple relay outage timer, then decided to search for a page * to make it easier for you guys to see what I meant, and found something that would work for about $20.
Follow this link and you will see there's nothing to it.
I like the wall wart angle for the input, it will make it even cheaper since everyone has these lying around the junk drawer.
~Regards!

A $20 Power Failure timer

* there is nothing new under the sun..

Last edited:
RTF is always "the man" :thumb:

Others here suggested a penny on top of an ice tray or similar....any melting and it settles in...

Simple concept, many posibilities.

Greetings,

Simple yet effective. I think I'm gonna do this.

couple ice cubes in a glass or bowel is easiest and requires no forethought.

Hi tech method is a marine alarm system. My Lowes Iris informs me of a power outage or a charger failure within seconds.

But I still keep a cup of ice cubes in the freezer just in case. :blush:

This what I use. Sends a text to your mobile when power is off and another when it resumes.
Not cheap but works well, cheaper than having your batteries ruined by running flat, cheaper than loosing your frozen food or having a bilge pump fail and your boat sinking.
Before I got this device my batteries went flat for possibly weeks and were never the same again, since I have had it I have had many power outages at several different marinas and I just call them up and let them know I have a problem and they are on to it.

www.blueray.com.au/SMS power monitor

Works for me.

Last edited:
Reefer truck shippers have recording temp units to know how the load was kept during transport.

Steve Dashew sells a recording thermometer on his web site .

Greetings,

We use the same principle at work. Freeze a very small cup of water, then place a penny on top of the ice. So long as the penny remains on top, no thaw.

Greetings,
Mr. l&f. Oh ya, sure...Now you've upped the cost to $.06. Where does it end?????

giphy.gif

If brown ooze is running out of the fridge/freezer, the power has been out for too long.

I posted this recently on another thread, but I'll repost here.

This is what I installed.

31IKzNNMN4L._AC_US240_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Refri..._=lp_11102085011_1_15&sr=8-15&srs=11102085011

It records the current temp from 2 sensors (fridge 1 & fridge 2 or fridge & freezer) and also records the max and min of the sensors. If the freezer max temp exceeds freezing, it alarms indicating you've had a problem. How long it was off doesn't really matter much to me. If the freezer reached 40 degrees, I'm tossing the food, but the beer in the fridge is probably still OK.

Total cost under $30.

IF the freezer ever defrosts/thaws, the "pillar" of water in the bottle will melt and refreeze at the bottom of the bottle. Cost? Maybe $.05...

Put a penny on top of an ice cube in the freezer. If you return to the boat and the penny is at the bottom or into the ice, the power went off for too long. If the power flickers, it won't detect it but who cares?

Cost...$.01....and you even get the penny back.

Now I've got to go shopping for ice trays! I threw all mine out years ago.

Edit: Waitadarnminute...I just remembered one came with my new NovaKool! I remember I chuckled to myself when I saw it.

The problem with the 1-6c systems is you find out too late, but you do find out before you get food poisoning. And the penny is reusable!
Because we have solar, we don`t rely on mains power while docked.

I just take 2 ice cubes and put them in a bowl in the freezer. I check them when I go aboard. If they're no longer cubes then I know I have to throw out the food. done this for years.
John

I have a container of ready ice in the freezer and if the cubes are gone and replaced with a block of ice, well the freezer was off.

I also have like most here a not frost free refer so defrosting is a regular need, if all of a sudden I did not need to do it the next time aboard I would then look at the ice cube container.

Simple really, KISS is great on boats when it can be implemented.

I might add, I never leave anything in my refrigerator that could spoil and ruin the frig. Seems kinda silly to risk a $2500 refrigerator to save 20 bucks worth of lunch meat. Only water, drinks and snacks kept in unit when away. Had the cord disconnected a few years ago and only lost my made ice cubes to cry over.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom