How small is too small?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A console also takes away from the carrying capacity of the tender. As nice as it is to have controls and a steering wheel it makes carrying coolers and such just that much harder...

That's not necessarily so at all. Every console I've seen has storage space inside, or in the case of our Whaler, underneath the steering and dash board; our large soft cooler fits right there, thank you very much.

We've used a bunch of tiller dinghies on various boats we chartered, and they are perfectly fine for short hauls or now and then explorations. But after having this Whaler, I don't think we could ever go back to a tiller on a boat we owned. The console set up makes long excursions really fun and is so much more comfortable.

That's not necessarily so at all. Every console I've seen has storage space inside, or in the case of our Whaler, underneath the steering and dash board; our large soft cooler fits right there, thank you very much.

We've used a bunch of tiller dinghies on various boats we chartered, and they are perfectly fine for short hauls or now and then explorations. But after having this Whaler, I don't think we could ever go back to a tiller on a boat we owned. The console set up makes long excursions really fun and is so much more comfortable.

Wifey B: I've never used a tiller :nonono::nonono::nonono: and not about to start now. :)

I double-checked. Off a little. The boat is 325#.

Haha, if only my off the cuff estimates were as close! I'll be sure to mention you when I stop in. Thanks Jack.

Wifey B: Our smallest is 11' rib, 100 hp Textron, 4 passengers, WOT 42 knots, 693 pounds. Williams does now make a mini-jet 9', seats 3, 60 hp Rotax, WOT 33 knots, 465 pounds.

100 hp on an 11' boat? Wow, now that's a need for speed! Covering a lot of "ground" would definitely be nice when needed.

My thoughts exactly, and add a bench or seats backs to the list of needs for me. I've spent weeks in boats with tiller outboards, but that was as a teenager.

After trying 4 different tenders (including the 11 ft "Sport' BW, we finally bought the Blue Water Baby. Is very stable, holds three adults (4 in very calm water) and plans effortlessy.

We love it and we put a lot of miles on our dinghies.

Whalers are great boats! I use a Blue Water Baby. 11’ but similar in hull design to Boston Whaler. I use a Merc 15hp.
.View attachment 72523View attachment 72524
Same here except with a 20hp Suzuki. Planes easily to about 21mph with two adults on board. Very similar to a Whaler in construction but about 150# lighter. We are extremely happy with our Bluewater Baby. Plus, way cheaper thsn a Whaler.

I would reverse the question , as to what is the largest boat I can carry aboard?

Host , davits , drag it aboard , whatever works makes the dink far more secure , and far less hassle.

How it survives in a dink mash at a dock , or on a rocky shore would be second question.

Back
Top Bottom