Old 11-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #81
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
For me, 6kts is too slow. Just don't like it, but 7+knots I can handle.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #82
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Some of you may have heard this from me before. It is my explanation of why I run slow.

Thus for a 65 mile trip:

6.5 kts, 10hrs, 20 gallons burned at $6 per gallon (Caribbean prices) $120 US
8 kts, 8 hrs, 32 gallons burned at $6 per gallon, $192 US

Since we will leave at approximately 6 am in all conditions, the difference in arriving at 2 pm, or 4 pm is $72 US, more than enough to buy us dinner.
I thought I was the only one who calculated the cost of going faster in relation to the time saved.

Until my current boat (#13), my prior boats, including a 55' sportfisher, were all go-fast boats and I didn't really care about the cost of fuel burned. It was, in reality, a small part of the total cost of ownership. My current boat was intended for a slightly different mission -- long range fishing: Generally traveling through the night (at 10 knots or less, primarily for safety) to get on the fishing grounds, then spending the day at trolling speeds. At night, either anchor up or or travel to the next destination. There are times when I go fast, for example staying out a little longer in a hot bite then cruising at 18 knots to get to an anchorage before dark, but at least 95% of my hours are at not more than 10 knots. Frankly, I am much happier traveling at displacement speeds, for a bunch of reasons, the least of which is the cost of fuel burned.

However, sometimes one or two of my guests will get restless and suggest that we go faster (usually when they want to get back to dock at noon rather than late afternoon). That is when I pull out a spreadsheet that requires a few simple inputs, one of which is "how much earlier do you want to get in", and it calculates the fuel burn and cost necessary to save that time. Never has anyone been willing to cover that cost (fortunately), and everyone is shocked at how expensive it is to save time.

MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #83
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I haven't read every word of this thread but early on but sombody was saying their engine was all warmed up at 170 (or so) degrees. I suspect they were talking about coolant temp and coolant at 180 degrees dosn't mean the engine is warmed up. Lube oil temp of 180 means a warm engine as the engine has made enough heat to bring the oil up to 180 degrees w/o any help from a thermostat to artificially decrease the rate of flow in the heat exchanger that increases the coolant temp.

If you don't have an oil temp gauge check the oil filter w a lazer gun. And a whole bunch of other things while your'e at it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

If you don't have an oil temp gauge check the oil filter w a lazer gun. And a whole bunch of other things while your'e at it.
Or you can install an EGT gauge (or gauges if you have multiple engines). Our PNW boat, for example, has an ISSPRO setup, a probe in each exhaust elbow upstream of the water injection and a dual readout gauge. While not quite as informative as individual gauges for each cylinder a single EGT gauge tells you how hard the engine is working. In the aircraft I fly the EGT is used to set the most effective mixture. In the boats they tell us how much work each engine is doing. (Which is what it's doing in the plane, too, but in the plane there's actions one takes with the information.)

The nice thing about them is they react almost instantly to changes in the exhaust temperature. Unlike the engine's coolant temp gauge which thanks to the action of the thermostat can read artificially high and mask what's actually going on inside the cylinders as Eric points out above, the EGT tells you what's going on from the combustion aspect.

So open the throttle and the coolant temperature won't change, or won't change much, because the thermostat simply increases the coolant flow through the heat exchanger. But the EGT will start going up right away because it's measuring the combustion temperature of the engine. The harder the engine works, the higher the cylinder temperatures.

Very handy device, more so in a plane than in a boat, but nevertheless the EGT systems in our boats give us another monitor on the engines' operation.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #85
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Perhaps one of my best boating days ever was done with the engine off. I simply let the tide carry me for about 4 miles down a beautiful inlet. It was a wonderful afternoon.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #86
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Perhaps one of my best boating days ever was done with the engine off. I simply let the tide carry me for about 4 miles down a beautiful inlet. It was a wonderful afternoon.
Sounds like a magical day...and the winner of anyone's fuel efficiency award.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #87
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Many of you are aware that I travel from Ketchikan to Wrangell to play golf (Close and only course in the immediate area) the distance is 89 km. As 50% of the voyage is in open water (Clarence Straits). The most opportune time to travel this piece of water is early morning.
There is something about departing at 4:AM with hot coffee, good tunes, a humming engine at 12-1300 RPM moving the boat at 6.5 knts in hopefully, calm waters, in the early morning light.
The trip takes 12-13 hours to complete. Even at my age (Hi Sunny!) arriving at 3"PM or so allows for at the least, 9 holes before dark.
The best of all worlds, hours of boating and 9 holes of golf. Life doesn't get much better than that!
Slow is a great go!!

Al- Ketchikan
27 foot Marben pocket trawler-'Slo~Belle'
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Many of you are aware that I travel from Ketchikan to Wrangell to play golf (Close and only course in the immediate area) the distance is 89 km.
Well that's one I've never heard before, taking the boat to go play golf.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #89
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
I know people who take their airplane to another state just to eat a hamburger for lunch and then fly back. Having a destination and a cool story is great. Thats an adventure for the books. Slo cruisin for golfing. I like it !!!
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #90
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
I enjoy my 2.3 NMPG/3.2 GPH at 7.5 kts, but sometime I wish I had the ability to cruise at twice that speed. At WOT, my little Perkins will push me along at 10 Kts, but it's not worth the noise, fuel and risk of failure at that high (2600) RPM.

Flywright; It is possible, my 38,000# ACMY got the same Nmpg at that speed but with twin 420 HP Cummins it could also go 23Kts. We mostly cruise at 8-9 Kts but when offshore will run on plane.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #91
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Well that's one I've never heard before, taking the boat to go play golf.

Ted
That is silly. We take ours to play tennis. lol
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #92
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
The way I've been hitting the ball in recent years, I can't imagine a better way to spoil a beautiful boat trip .
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #93
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Some of my favorite outings on the boat have been just that. Drift fishing with my wife, brother & sister in law on a balmy morning & afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4393.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	46455  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:55 AM   #94
FF
Guru

Too slow is when the autopilot can no longer steer.

Too fast is when concentration is required to not ground.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Too fast is when concentration is required to not ground.
On the road there's a ticketing offense known as "driving too fast for conditions." I think the same thought should apply to one's boating. It's not just grounding, it's everything around you. I think of Biscayne Bay on the night of July 4 fireworks as everyone leaves. Anything over a fast idle is too fast. There are too many boats and too much is going on. Definitely I have been in areas too where depth was so suspect and shoaling so extensive that idle was the right speed as we were keeping careful watch over our depthfinder and our sonar.

Now only on expressways to we have minimum speed limits. I've only been two places on water where I can recall minimums which were necessary to keep up with others. One was the Panama Canal and the other is the Land Cut Section of the Cape Cod Canal. In both cases a tow is required if you can't make it. Only a few sailboats ever have an issue. On the Cape Cod section it reads, "Vessels of any kind unable to make a transit through the Land Cut portion of the canal against a head current of 6.0 knots within a maximum time limit of 2 hours 30 minutes must shall be required to obtain the assistance of a helper tug at the vessel owner’s expense or await favorable conditions."
Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #96
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Shucks....2 more hours in that KK42. Don't you hate it when that happens?
It's like driving around in your living room.

7-8 hours at the helm is generally enough for me, so 50 nm is usually my limit.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #97
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti

I'm sorry guys, I've never gotten over my need for speed.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti

I'm sorry guys, I've never gotten over my need for speed.
Get on a race track then. Or get a high powered boat and a huge life insurance policy and go out beyond all the other traffic.

We love speed. What we can't deal with is the possible consequences. We have two of the fastest cars around and neither has ever been over 90 mph nor more than 5-10 mph over the speed limit. Our dream boat today is a Nortech 80 Roadster. It's not really fast though, only 65 mph or so. Maybe a 47' Fountain instead at 90 mph? No, the fountain would be good for a day, but not for regular use.

I'd love to get in a race car and run a few laps, but I'll never do so. I'll leave it to the professionals. But when they do it, 200 mph looks so easy.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #99
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
"Get on a race track then."
I used to run an inboard hydro that once hit 107 mph before I owned it.
I never pushed it past a hundred but boy was that fun. That got me a bunch of second place trophies.

I wish they'd bring racing back to the Marine Stadium, but it won't happen any time soon.

Now I get excited when Possum hits 16 knots.

"I'd love to get in a race car and run a few laps, but I'll never do so."
Why not? They have a driving school down at the Homestead Speedway.
You can go for a ride with a professional driver or better still drive it yourself with the pro sitting next to you.

The instructions for Nascar and Hydro racing are the same. Go Fast. Turn Left.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"

The instructions for Nascar and Hydro racing are the same. Go Fast. Turn Left.
Except road courses.