How to safely tow another boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is funny, seeing the diagrams. BUT they leave out the absolute best way to tow alongside. And NO I won't show it. BUT there is another way to tow along side, with small 'tugs' that makes handling a (comparative) breeze. But we can't ruin the moneymakers jobs can we?

And just what is the best way?

So many possibilities, so many circumstances.

Heck, in a marina, close quarters...the best tug I have seen is a small bow rider with a big paddle prop and pulls in reverse.

So I am sure I don't know all the ways....so I am curious, what's the "best way" ? And does it apply to every tow vessel and tow?

Here is a picture taken from the Mac Bridge of the Edgar B Speer (1000') towing her fleet mate the Roger Blough (853'). The Blough lost their rudder coming down the St. Mary's River. The Speer came down a few days later, rafted up to the Blough and towed them from Detour to Gary, Indiana. Both Captains did an outstanding job! The ships were both loaded at the time. The tow averaged over 10mph for the trip. That is a chase tug astern of them....just incase.

Attachments

• BLOUGHSPEERb10080906.jpg
    BLOUGHSPEERb10080906.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 112
Except in a condition of immediate peril,as being stranded in a shipping lane,I personally would not consider a tow.It is best left up to the pro's like psneeld.Most of the time(at least on the east coast)there is always a towboatus,or sea tow within a reasonable distance.I would stand by the disabled vessel until the proper help has arrived,and assist if asked.I am not talking about a situation of peril such as a hard grounding,accident,or injury here,merely a breakdown,or soft grounding,before everyone jumps on me here.My boat is not equipped,nor do I have any experience in towing operations,but I have helped stranded boaters before.

Back
Top Bottom