Old 03-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #81
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I hope I am not giving anyone the impression that I am paralyzed with fear. I still use my boat for the biggest adventure my schedule permits, without hesitation. I just think I miss a little fun by being undully concerned about mechanical failures. (Ironically, I am not concerned about operator error, which is probably the more likely fault.)
Thanks for a well written and thoughtful post. I suffer from exactly the same concerns but continue to pursue the hobby I love.

I do think, however, that I've seen an increase in these concerns when I passed 70. I think that can be attributed to increased wisdom & maybe wanting to enjoy life a little longer.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #82
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
If I was as worried as you get in touch with Cummins and see if they run a factory maintenance course for that engine model, if they do book yourself on one and you'll learn self confidence in your own ability as well.
If a man built it, a man can repair it.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #83
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
.... get in touch with Cummins and see if they run a factory maintenance course for that engine model....
I did exactly that about 2 years ago with a dealer. He said he really liked the idea but never followed up on it. (Maybe he thought he would be losing business to the DIY crowd.) There are many Cummins diesels in my area and if I still owned one I'd sign up in a heart beat.

Now, I wish Yanmar would embrace this idea!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #84
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I can't help but be concerned by the prospect of a debilitating failure when I am days from anywhere. Do you all worry about that, or do you regard that sort of failure (ie, critical, that you can't repair) unlikely? I really wish I could stop worrying about it.
A relationship with a good yard or top notch offshore experienced boat nerd who can assist you in keeping track of things is something that is done by many. The rule of the 7 Ps applies - Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Along with essential spares, redundant operating systems and good troubleshooting ability problems can be kept at bay - usually.

Three years ago we were headed out for a 3000 mile combination offshore and coastal trip. After a few hours we ran into shifting issues on one of the transmissions. I called the local yard manager and when we got back to the dock 4 very experienced mechanics climbed onto the vessel and within 5 minutes of troubleshooting had the problem identified and after 10 minutes fixed. My goof up as I'd not lubricated and cleaned the shifting mechanism on the transmission good enough. Charges for this - nothing.

The most frustrating was a complete failure of our Raymarine radar on a holiday weekend. Lo and behold we got to Port Hardy and a very good shop had NN3s in stock, this one was not so cheap but a real whew was released. We carried on for another 4 months.

As Twistedtree has commented in an instrumentation thread, redundant systems are part and parcel of his vessel. And a good sized workable ER so one can eyeball things every few hours sure helps too.

On numerous occasions we've called from afar, other professional contacts for advice on things that had gone wrong and I could not figure out. The rolodex does come in handy. But, at the end of the day be prepared for those things that are puzzlers, they do happen.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #85
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
A relationship with a good yard or top notch offshore experienced boat nerd who can assist you in keeping track of things is something that is done by many. The rule of the 7 Ps applies - Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Along with essential spares, redundant operating systems and good troubleshooting ability problems can be kept at bay - usually.
Yard, builder, someone. The boat which we do our offshore cruising on, not a trawler, is with a builder that provides 24/7 access to support. They have been known to fly people to locations around the world. Even on equipment. Our navigation system has support available in nearly every major port since it's used by something like 13,000 commercial ships.

Relationships are key. Choose your yard carefully and not on the basis of price. In South Florida, there are many excellent yards and many mechanics you shouldn't let near your boat. The yard we use will never be considered the cheapest but they do the work right the first time and I do believe they'd help us as yours helped you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #86
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
99% of marine diesels are based on truck engines.
If you can't find a marine dealer write to the MD of the main distributor/factory, send it by recorded delivery.
Yanmar use Toyota diesels so have a go at them because quite simply every person who passes through a factory course is their best salesman, and they don't even have to pay him comission.
Be polite but insistent and you'll win the day.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #87
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yard, builder, someone. The boat which we do our offshore cruising on, not a trawler, is with a builder that provides 24/7 access to support. They have been known to fly people to locations around the world. Even on equipment. Our navigation system has support available in nearly every major port since it's used by something like 13,000 commercial ships.

Relationships are key. Choose your yard carefully and not on the basis of price. In South Florida, there are many excellent yards and many mechanics you shouldn't let near your boat. The yard we use will never be considered the cheapest but they do the work right the first time and I do believe they'd help us as yours helped you.
I guess we all look at it differently. When I leave the dock, I plan to depend on no one else other than myself. If I get a hand along the way, it's a bonus, but I certainly don't depend on it. Maybe I prefer it that way. I've never really thought about it before.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #88
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I guess we all look at it differently. When I leave the dock, I plan to depend on no one else other than myself. If I get a hand along the way, it's a bonus, but I certainly don't depend on it. Maybe I prefer it that way. I've never really thought about it before.
We and the cruising boaters we have come to know and respect over the years, power and sail, take exactly the same approach.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
We don't depend on others but nice to know they're there. Nice to know if we limped into a port, regardless of where, we can access help. It's the kind of backup that might help the OP feel less stressed or it might not.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #90
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
How Reliable is your boat?

This was a great thread earlier and as I prepare to leave on an extended trip, I suffer from constant worry. I am constantly doing an informal risk, assessment of our vessel. The more I read about issues, the more I worry about some sort of catastrophic failure. Particularly as a new boat owner, I often worry if I am up to the task. The main reason I bought our KK42, as compared to others was the considerable work the PO did on the boat. As I go through his work 95% of it was top notch.

Thanks to all on this forum who have patiently offered advice and encouragement.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #91
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Hi Jim,

Thought this quote attributed to Mark Twain would resonate with you;

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

You've done the work to know your boat as best you can in the time you've had Phoenix Hunter...at some point you just have to go for it
Old 06-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #92
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I've done a lot of "going for it" w my hang gliding, motorcycling and boating but vehicles are only as safe as where they are. If your boat was in a swimming pool 6"deeper than your draft you would have a very safe boat. But if you were in the Aleutian Islands 6 hrs before a big atmospheric depression was about to grip the area your boat would, in a way, not be very safe.

Now that we're down here in Wash State I've had thoughts about changing my anchor rode and doing other things to adjust my safety factor to my geographical location. However I didn't have as much need for AIS in Alaska so it goes both ways.

When you're underway though where you go with the boat can greatly effect the safety of the boat. Two degrees this way or that could smash you right into a rock.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #93
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I knew a very experienced, circumnavigating sailor who had a contingency plan for virtually every possibility and every piece of gear on any boat he was piloting. He literally went from stem to stern cataloging everything, OCD to the max. Thing was, he was delightful to sail with, carefree and loosey goosey as can be. I said man, you are an entirely different person out on the water than at the dock. His reply " because now, I don't have anything to worry about!"

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #94
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
Your ER pictures tell a story. Looks like you've got it where it counts. Great boating! Hope to be there soon myself.

Glen
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I knew a very experienced, circumnavigating sailor who had a contingency plan for virtually every possibility and every piece of gear on any boat he was piloting. He literally went from stem to stern cataloging everything, OCD to the max. Thing was, he was delightful to sail with, carefree and loosey goosey as can be. I said man, you are an entirely different person out on the water than at the dock. His reply " because now, I don't have anything to worry about!"
Preparation is the mother of victory.

One important key to success is confidence. The key to confidence is preparation.

Then this quote from Steve Nash:

You have to rely on your preparation. You got to really be passionate and try to prepare yourself more than anyone else, and put yourself in position to succeed, and when the moment comes you got to enjoy, relax, breathe and rely on your preparation so that you can perform and not be anxious or filled with doubt.

I'm a bit obsessive regarding covering all bases, developing knowledge. We've taken training in fire fighting, medical officer in charge, and rescue, all mainly for our comfort as we go out. We hope to avoid ever needing to use any of that, but when the question comes up "what would you do if", we at least have an answer. I figure if you're prepared for the worst case, it will help you handle everything short of that in stride and fully enjoy your boating.

I am probably a bit like the sailor you knew. It's a key to my enjoyment. I'm absolutely not a risk taker so I must manage the risks. I went on a zip line last year for the first time. Never thought I'd do anything that crazy. I was terrified of the thought. I asked a lot of questions of the person running it. A lot of what if's. Most there didn't even want to think about them. Knowing what they would do "if" made me comfortable enough to enjoy the experience and experience a view inaccessible any other way.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
We all worry about the reliability of our boats on an extended trip. To do so before the trip is preparation.

With a 1985 Krogen 42 and a Lehman 135 you are in good shape.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #97
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Preparation is the mother of victory.

One important key to success is confidence. The key to confidence is preparation.

Then this quote from Steve Nash:

You have to rely on your preparation. You got to really be passionate and try to prepare yourself more than anyone else, and put yourself in position to succeed, and when the moment comes you got to enjoy, relax, breathe and rely on your preparation so that you can perform and not be anxious or filled with doubt.

I'm a bit obsessive regarding covering all bases, developing knowledge. We've taken training in fire fighting, medical officer in charge, and rescue, all mainly for our comfort as we go out. We hope to avoid ever needing to use any of that, but when the question comes up "what would you do if", we at least have an answer. I figure if you're prepared for the worst case, it will help you handle everything short of that in stride and fully enjoy your boating.

I am probably a bit like the sailor you knew. It's a key to my enjoyment. I'm absolutely not a risk taker so I must manage the risks. I went on a zip line last year for the first time. Never thought I'd do anything that crazy. I was terrified of the thought. I asked a lot of questions of the person running it. A lot of what if's. Most there didn't even want to think about them. Knowing what they would do "if" made me comfortable enough to enjoy the experience and experience a view inaccessible any other way.
Mr. Murphy is watching everything you do and he is adamant that he fill find something you overlooked.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Mr. Murphy is watching everything you do and he is adamant that he fill find something you overlooked.
Wifey B: But that's what he has me for. I'll beat the s... out of that dude, Murphy. Separate hubby and I might not beat it all, but together we're freaking awesome....hehe

Now, like seriously. I think if you think through enough stuff then you can quickly figure out how to deal with that you didn't think of.

Then I'll on Mr. Murphy's grave.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #99
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My philosophy on cruising the loop, certainly much of the ACIW is...

If I break down, the chances of being near a decent boatyard, repair facility is about the same of breaking down at my home marina.

Have a reasonable emergency cash reserve and don't look back.

I am not saying start off in doubt...just stop worrying.

This is the philosophy of a liveaboard with no real schedule.

Factor in worries, and they will be there for sure...if you don't, they are just random things that might happen at a good or bad time....or might not...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #100
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Wifey B: But that's what he has me for. I'll beat the s... out of that dude, Murphy. Separate hubby and I might not beat it all, but together we're freaking awesome....hehe

Now, like seriously. I think if you think through enough stuff then you can quickly figure out how to deal with that you didn't think of.

Then I'll on Mr. Murphy's grave.
Love it!

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote