Spare parts give peace of mind!

windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #62
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Hah! Again. How does a bloke properly run into you? Or is that another Ozism;
"G'day, mate, ya wanna move ya boat? I got no reverse and might properly run into ya."
Wifey B: Ah, the difference a comma makes. "when other folk, who can't drive their boat in or out of the marina properly, run into me"

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:44 PM   #63
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yeah, thanks wifey B, Hawg's just being pedantic, eh..? 'course, I coulda said "improperly run into me", and then you could leave the comma out...
Old 03-16-2016, 12:21 AM   #64
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Now, see, that's the part I don't get. What good is it, lugging around a bucket full of used spares with no known life expectancy?
On Beast my oil pressure sending unit started leaking. The old one that did not work also did not leak. It was still in my bucket. I swapped the leaky one for the broken one. It worked until I could get to a city to buy another.

Having tools and hardware are equally important.

Tools are critical. I'm watching a neighbor now on day two seeking a tool to get to his transmission seal. He requires a 46mm spindle nut socket, or something (anything!!!) to get this blasted thing off. And no, we cannot find one locally -- not yet.

Perhaps there is a marine transmission shop STILL OPEN here in St Pete. We were directed to two different ones today -- both closed with no signs of life. The tranny is back in his backyard.

We tried eBay. Nothing. Ditto Amazon. The man has no way of replacing the seal (and o-ring) unless he can get to it. And so far, he cannot.

It does zero good to have a spare part if you have not the tools required to install it.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #65
Guru

It reminds me a bit of people I knew who were preparing for a hurricane. I asked what they had for food. They said they bought about 20 gallons of water and had at least 20 cans of canned food, from soups to meats to vegetables. I said that sounded very good and asked if they were going eat it cold or hot. They said heat it on their gas grill. I then asked if they had pull tops to open or required can openers. They said "can openers." Next question was if they had any non-electric can opener and saw the sudden look of panic on their faces.

Now, I only thought of that because when we lived in NC, we were preparing for a possible ice storm and power outage and realized all our can openers were electric.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:32 AM   #66
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Sometimes you have to be a bit resourceful.

I've made my own spindle nut socket out of a piece of pipe using an angle grinder and a file.
Opening a can without a can opener is fairly straight forward. I'm sure anyone could work that out after a day or two without eating. A pocket knife, a hammer & chisel; I'm sure a pointed rock would open a can of soup.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:38 AM   #67

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
It's not that you expect to use the spares, it is to appease the gods of machinery that you respect them and take reasonable precautions. They approve of your effort, and therefore they prevent any breakdowns.
I have a saying that reflects my conservative nature and somewhat superstitious leanings.

The size of the disaster is inversely proportional to level of preparedness.

My 35 year career has allowed me ample opportunity to validate the truth in that statement.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 AM   #68
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Sorry Aus, but why on earth did you shut down your engine while waiting in a lock for water levels to equalise..? In every lock we went thru in the UK in the canals, I never turned the engine off in the lock once - that appears to be the perfect invite for Murphy's law, don'tcha know..?
Pete

Don't know the specifics of the lock in question, but the east coast of the US/Canada has hundreds of locks. I can remember many times shutting the engine down once we tied up to the walls.

The wait time, depth of lock and number of boats all were factors.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #69
FF
Guru

"Sorry Aus, but why on earth did you shut down your engine while waiting in a lock for water levels to equalise..?

In many US systems , to shut down is the rule.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #70
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Sorry Aus, but why on earth did you shut down your engine while waiting in a lock for water levels to equalise..?

In many US systems , to shut down is the rule.
Maybe so, but once again, can I point out, not everyone in the world is in the US. AUSCAN, as his name implies, is in South Australia, in the marina at Glenelg I think, and is referring to the modest lock I think he has to use to exit his marina, for some reason, (not sure why), so long waits would be rare, I suspect. Just sayin'...

No doubt he will soon put me right, if I'm wrong...
Old 03-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #71
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Indeed, engine shutdown is a requirement for locking through in several locales but we have found where it is NOT required, in some of the deeper lock chambers it is to our advantage to shut down voluntarily.

It does not take too long for a deep chamber to fill up with exhaust fumes whilst awaiting a slow filling and it's not so much the slim potential of CO poisoning, it's more the concentrated smell of the exhaust.

We DID lose our single engine on a previous boat while locking, were manually towed out by the helpful lock staff and subsequently had to have our starter motor re-built. We now carry a spare starter motor.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #72
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Our Tolly always carries a spare starter... as well as every other spare engine part that could be needed... on its spare engine!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #73
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Does anyone carry a spare starter motor and had to use it?
Yes and no. Since I have twin engines (and a standup engine room with good outboard access), in a pinch I could start an engine then move its good spare to the other engine and start it.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #74
Guru

City: West Coast
Since my boat spends time in foreign countries at locations in which even basics are not readily available, I started with the normal compliment of spares, none of which I have needed to use. Since then, every time something fails, I buy two. In that regard, I have extra blowers for the engine room, extra pumps for the big ice maker, air conditioning bait tanks and holding tanks, extra joker valves for the heads, extra bulbs for nav lights. Over the past 6 years, each of those spares has been used (and replaced).
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #75
TF Site Team

Interesting, and at the same time reassuring, none of which were fundamental to the safe functioning of the vessel.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #76
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Interesting, and at the same time reassuring, none of which were fundamental to the safe functioning of the vessel.
Most fundamental item to the function of any vessel is a wise Captain.

Nearly any mechanical or electric or material part missing as a spare can often be overcome/supplanted-for by the wisdom of a good Captain's "spare" thoughts for making things work - no matter what. Of course quickly available, usable spare parts are always appreciated by the Captain when needs arise.

And... For sharing "spare" thoughts to help elevate the wisdom of Captains in general... of the one spare part that exists in the hundreds, maybe thousands on TF - Wise Captains abound!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Most fundamental item to the function of any vessel is a wise Captain.
Wifey B: We carry a spare one of those too.... Most of the time more than one spare. Can never have too many spares. We cruised to the Bahamas this past week. 7 people on board. 4 were licensed captains (all at least 200 Ton) and 1 was a licensed engineer. Think we had that covered?

Other random demographics on that trip. 6 females, 1 male. Average age of females 27.5, of the males 45. I was the oldest female...omg....don't tell me I'm getting old.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #78

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Nearly any mechanical or electric or material part missing as a spare can often be overcome/supplanted-for by the wisdom of a good Captain's "spare" thoughts for making things work - no matter what. Of course quickly available, usable spare parts are always appreciated by the Captain when needs arise.

In almost 20 years of summer-long cruising the only spares I remember using was a coolant hose and the usual "consumables: fuel filters, raw water impellers, hose clamps and fluids (oil, distilled water and coolant).

But I have resorted to lot's of epoxy putty; various tapes; cable ties; and engine starting fluid (for the dink's OB) to improvise and keep things ticking over until i made it back to port.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #79
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Sorry Aus, but why on earth did you shut down your engine while waiting in a lock for water levels to equalise..? In every lock we went thru in the UK in the canals, I never turned the engine off in the lock once - that appears to be the perfect invite for Murphy's law, don'tcha know..?
Peter, It's a 10 minute wait or so, in a very small confined lock, so I'd prefer not to gas myself in there.
From now on though, I think I'll risk the chance of asphyxiation and let her idle.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #80
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Spares have made life easier during our Great Loop trip in the last year. Domestic water pump, shower sump float switch, Engine water pump, battery combiner, engine stop solenoid and 2 fuel pumps. In each instance the swap out was easier than looking for or waiting for a part and it didn't impact the trip. I one case a stop solenoid failed in the morning before entering the South Mills lock on the Dismal Swamp canal. The failure was easy to identify because it leaked out the back of the connection. Pulled the boat over to the wall above the lock and changed it out in less than 30 minutes. The trip progressed as planned.

fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote