Old 08-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sydney
How often do you use your boat

50+ boats on the marina ranging from $1.8m to $30000 some have never moved in 3 years some are polished every month and never taken out .Most are used as somewhere to spend the afternoon on with friends but never go out . Of the 50+boats I see 8 are used as floating weekender's .Is the marina I'm on any different to where you live ? I'm out and about and away from the marina at least once a week am I strange ?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Probably typical of marinas here in the states also. Never have really figured out why. From a cost/benefit standpoint it does not make a lot of sense. But perhaps $500 a month (or whatever) for slip rent is just figured into the budget, and is not a big deal. I dunno. Good question.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #3

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I have managed on average to leave the dock roughly 12 times a year At my particular marina, that puts me in second place only to a small converted life boat the owner goes fishing in.

On the other hand, I live on my boat. . .so depending on the meaning "use", I'm using my boat 24/7/365 (which is one reason I moved on)

Most of the boats here are derelicts. Slips get paid, I rarely ever see anyone down here though. Couple a live aboards. . .one old guy working on his fishing boat. . .my slip neighbor comes down when it's nice and hangs out, boat never leaves the slip.

I did see one boat leave after 5 years of watching it sit. There is a Catalina 350 or 381 on the other dock. . .never seen an owner, never seen it move, never saw a light on. Last 4th o july, gone for e the day. Next morning, tied up like it never left It looks now like the frame has been removed and the canvas, but now has had a brow tarp on it for a couple weeks.

Most of the marinas out here in Little Creek are full of boats that go no where. I'd say 90% of boat traffic is small fishing boats from back up in the creek. . .
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
Having a 90 footer I know what you are talking about.
I think a boating family with boats start out small and grow bigger and bigger over time but also the age of the family
as the kids get older they have their own families and no time to get together as the family group like they did in the past .
Just to busy with their own lives.
"Cats in a Cradle and the silver spoon" song from Cat Steven's
Is pretty much it.
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I use mine every day unless it is fogged in. Then I sit aboard. We have a short season here so it only makes sense to use the boat. I was out three times yesterday. First on the powerboat, then I went for a row, then for an afternoon sail.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
To the OP. Not sure whether you are strange or not. But to get away at least once a week you have certainly got your life organized!

My 1981 boat had done 1950 hours when I bought it, and for all but 18 months of that it was owned by the same guy. So he averaged around 63 hours a year. He had one trip to Alaska which would have accounted for a fair bit of that though.

I've done about 160 hours a year since the refit, but intend to be doing a lot more than that once I get some house stuff sorted. I'm on the boat a few times a week but other life activities are stopping me getting away on it as much as I'd like.

Across from me is a Hatt Sportfish with 12V92's in it. I've only seen the owner down there twice in the last 3 months. He cant drive it anyway, he has to get a Skipper to move it for him. Nearby are some liveaboards who go nowhere, some transient folks in yachts and a charter boat that is used quite a lot. I go out more than most!
Old 08-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Every other week is my norm. Lately and with above average rainfall in Florida, this has been extended to once every three weeks. Work, a house to take care of, and a lengthy commute to the marina (~2 hours) makes more frequent trips difficult.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #8
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My goal is one day a week with several hours of engine operation each, but it averages about 35 days a year.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Two to there times a month on the average.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #10

City: Sydney
I've steamed 1000 hours over nearly 3 years. This includes a few lengthy passages as well as regular day trips and overnighters. Add, say, 500 hours at anchor = average 9.5 hours per week.

Now to get this amount of use, maintenance (old woody, old Gardner, too many systems) would average out to around 10 hours per week of my (slow) time.

Of course, retirement is a given for my kind of boating.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I am on my boat spending three nights or more at least once every four weeks from March Through October. Thats the bare minimum.

The reality is that during March I dewinterize mot of the boat and start my upgrade and or maintenance projects. This is generally four nights aboard, but this year was 10 nights.

April is finishing up getting the boat ready for summer, thats another four nights.

May we start going out and this year was six nights aboard.

June was 11 nights aboard

July was another 11 nights aboard

August so far has been 6 nights aboard with another three to four yet to go.

Spetember is maintenance time four nights generally

October I winterize the boat, three or four nights aboard.

This year the wife has spent 24 nights aboard with 20 of those anchor'd out.

So we take our boat out 7 times a year and I sleep on the boat something between 50 and 60 nights a year.

Not bad considering our short season, and the issue that we have a lakefront home that we really like to be at in the summer as well.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Not nearly as often as I would like. However, when I get the bills for things on the boat I feel like I am yachting. Does that count?

The good thing is when we leave the dock we are usually gone several days or weeks.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
My reply to this question used to be "as often as I can, but not as often as I'd like." This worked out about once every two months actually going out, but I go down to the boat on average once a week, never less than a fortnight, just to do stuff. Eg, check bilge pumps, battery status, clean off bird dodo, etc, and have a coffee while I'm at it, especially if I'm going to run her up to temp, so it feels like I'm using it, sort of...
Old 08-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #14
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
some have never moved in 3 years some are polished every month and never taken out .
I'm a bit strange too. I've never polished it in 3 years, but I'm out at least once a week.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #15

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Alegría
Vessel Model: Overblue 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Q View Post
Having a 90 footer I know what you are talking about.
I think a boating family with boats start out small and grow bigger and bigger over time but also the age of the family
as the kids get older they have their own families and no time to get together as the family group like they did in the past .
Just to busy with their own lives.
"Cats in a Cradle and the silver spoon" song from Cat Steven's
Is pretty much it.
Harry Chapin.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #16
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Usually once a year:

Launch in May or June, cruise SE Alaska and/or BC for 2-3 months, and pull her out in late August or early September.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #17
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Last two years every day. Sold meridian 6 weeks ago and closing on new one next week. Hope to be full time cruising for at least five more years. Spent almost forty years doing weekends only.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #18
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
We bought this boat in 2010. That year, and 2011 and 2012 and 2013 we put about 100+ hours a year on the clocks. Then in 2014 we put in a swimming pool. Now we're lucky to get 50 hours on it.

The flip side is I find I'm spending a lot more time IN the water than ON the water.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:28 PM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Not nearly as often as I would like. However, when I get the bills for things on the boat I feel like I am yachting. Does that count?.
I hope so as I spend 3 hours a day...five days a week, on board doing projects!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:16 AM   #20
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Could it be that a boat to many, is "The Other Woman" even though it may be more costly? While we achieve at a minimum. over 100 hours away per year, I spend agoodly amount of time chewing the rag with like minded Harbor Hounds between. It would seem a cult at times discussing boats, mugging up with telling and retelling of dreams, voyages, and money spent.

I hear between the lines of above posters similar sounds. Using our boats is a highlight. caring and house keeping is the pleasure of their harbor time.
Good subject, thanks for offering it.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote