Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #41
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
For instance, "we don't spend nearly as much boating as if we owned a 256' Lurssen, yacht name "TV", which charters for $982,000 per week. Oh and it requires a crew of 25.

Why rent when you can own for 130,000,000?
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #42
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Why rent when you can own for 130,000,000?
Just thinking of how many boats we could have for $150 million.
__________________

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #43
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Just thinking of how many boats we could have for $150 million.

Well, at least one anyway
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #44
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Only one part of the world we really want badly to visit that we can't get to by water. Actually can get there by water but distance may prevent us from going that route. That's Australia and New Zealand and the other Pacific Islands.
A poor substitute for a leisurely "pick your own destinations/stay as long as you like" DIY voyage, but you could cover much of that on a cruise ship repositioning voyage. Cruise ships head to Australia in September, often from Seattle or Vancouver after cruising to Alaska, to cruise our summer.
We are considering visiting Canada next year (their $ has tanked as much as ours), and including an Inside Passage cruise in the trip.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
mattkab's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma
Country: USA
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
50+ boats on the marina ranging from $1.8m to $30000 some have never moved in 3 years some are polished every month and never taken out .Most are used as somewhere to spend the afternoon on with friends but never go out . Of the 50+boats I see 8 are used as floating weekender's .Is the marina I'm on any different to where you live ? I'm out and about and away from the marina at least once a week am I strange ?
We are somewhere in the middle. When we bought our first boat we said that if we didn't average taking the boat out twice a month, then we'd stop being boat owners. We have always easily taken the boat out 24 times a year ever since. We leave the dock more in the spring and summer, and less in the fall and winter.

However, we do quite a bit of dock-queen trips too. We treat our boat as a second home or a vacation home. So just going down to the boat for an evening or an overnight has now become a common usage, and we have decided that counts as a day...

There aren't many opportunities for oceanfront property in our area for $500/mo or so, and that's how we justify the expense.

YMMV of course.
__________________
Thanks,
Matt B.
http://mvcesc.wordpress.com/
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #46
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
A poor substitute for a leisurely "pick your own destinations/stay as long as you like" DIY voyage, but you could cover much of that on a cruise ship repositioning voyage. Cruise ships head to Australia in September, often from Seattle or Vancouver after cruising to Alaska, to cruise our summer.
We are considering visiting Canada next year (their $ has tanked as much as ours), and including an Inside Passage cruise in the trip.
We're not cruise ship fans. If we go there by air...oh that dreaded word...then our plan would be to charter there. While we want to see the land attractions, we want to see and experience them from the water.

There is one other option. Ship a boat there and keep it there a year or so.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #47
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post

However, we do quite a bit of dock-queen trips too. We treat our boat as a second home or a vacation home. So just going down to the boat for an evening or an overnight has now become a common usage, and we have decided that counts as a day...

There aren't many opportunities for oceanfront property in our area for $500/mo or so, and that's how we justify the expense.

YMMV of course.
I believe that completely counts as using the boat.
__________________

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012