Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #21
City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
A well respected diesel mechanic who used to work around my marina disagrees. He pointed out that one or more exhaust valves would be open to the atmosphere and moisture could get into one or more cylinders and cause rust. Running the engine periodically would alternate which cylinders are open to this possible condition. I suppose plugging the exhaust would take care of the problem. . . . . .
I didn't used to think that either, but learned the hard way when I was out of country for 6 months. Upon returning and starting port engine, exhaust valve was stuck closed and it bent a pushrod. Removed rocker shaft and tapped the end of the valve stem with a hammer a couple times and it popped open. Replaced the push rod and all was well.

Since that experience, I try to start the engines at least monthly or at a minimum roll them over with the starter for a few seconds every visit to the boat. If I go away that long again I will disconnect and plug the exhaust. If you do that, be sure and tag the throttles so no one tries to start the engines.

Larry B
Careful . . .I Have a Generator and I'm not afraid to use it !
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #22
Master and Commander
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
John Deere says I should operate its engine at least once a week. Nevertheless, it averages twice a month, year-round, with occasional three and four-week intervals (totaling about 100 hours a year). Run it at least three hours at a time, under load, while boating. (None of this running in neutral at berth.) Still, the engine starts right up and runs well, and it will undoubtedly outlast me.

Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #23
City: Fort Lauderdale
How often do you need to start a diesel engine?

Wifey B: At least two or three times a week. Maybe every day. I can't go long without starting one

Oh you didn't mean how often do I need it but you meant "How often does a diesel engine need to be started?"

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote