Old 05-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney
How noisy is your boat?

Interesting comments from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker;
I travel at 17 knots. I can barely hear the engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB;
I have found sound to be a real factor in enjoyment and the most overlooked attribute at time of purchase. When we were looking, we were shocked at some of the differences and how loud some boats that you didn't expect to be were. Also, the huge variations in engines with the worst being CAT.
Ok, so, what is your boat, its age, power and noise level at various speeds?
Does the noise affect your enjoyment?
Anyone ever take dB readings?

I just can't imagine a pair of 3208s under the cabin not being bothersome at 16 knots. On any boat.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Hawgw,
FYI, I have been using an app for my iPad called logSPL. It's an amazingly good and accurate db meter, I've checked it against other equipment and now just use this cause it's always handy. Makes quantifying noise levels easy. Give it a try.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
Hawgw,
FYI, I have been using an app for my iPad called logSPL. It's an amazingly good and accurate db meter, I've checked it against other equipment and now just use this cause it's always handy. Makes quantifying noise levels easy. Give it a try.
Holy doodle!
I was talking Farrell the other day with an old timer and thought of you. How are you enjoying that thing?
Must be good, never see you on here lookin' fer help.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Like many things in boating, I suppose it is a matter of personal tolerance. On my old Hatteras with 2 Detroit 8v92ti's under the sole of the lower helm area, we could carry on conversation without raising our voices, but their presence was very definitely heard. Up on the flying bridge, just a faint distant, pleasant purr. By far the quietest power boat I've ever been on is a Fleming 55, almost like driving a Bentley (and I rode in a Bentley the other day).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Guru

Sound Proofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Like many things in boating, I suppose it is a matter of personal tolerance. On my old Hatteras with 2 Detroit 8v92ti's under the sole of the lower helm area, we could carry on conversation without raising our voices, but their presence was very definitely heard. Up on the flying bridge, just a faint distant, pleasant purr. By far the quietest power boat I've ever been on is a Fleming 55, almost like driving a Bentley (and I rode in a Bentley the other day).

Thanks for this post and insight into your positive experience with the Flemming 55 (great boat). While I'm not 100% positive I believe the soundproofing enhancement on the new Helmsman 38E models will use similar materials and construction process to achieve a superior level of comfort. I'm glade to hear you view point and excited to see the level of improvement on our boat compared to earlier models which I already thought very quiet boats.

John T.
Helmsman 38E - Under Construction
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Interesting comments from another thread:Ok, so, what is your boat, its age, power and noise level at various speeds?
Does the noise affect your enjoyment?
Anyone ever take dB readings?

I just can't imagine a pair of 3208s under the cabin not being bothersome at 16 knots. On any boat.
Can we go back there now?
Old 05-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Holy doodle!
I was talking Farrell the other day with an old timer and thought of you. How are you enjoying that thing?
Must be good, never see you on here lookin' fer help.
I'm really liking the boat, I think it's great fun. The thing is great in chop, B Farrell knew what he was doing hull-wise. I'm just going through stuff on the boat, fixing, sanding/painting, repairs, chasing down leaks, upgrading the electrical for modern electronics, getting to know all the systems, how to find boat stuff/parts, burning through $$ like its an all-expense paid trip to Las Vegas, the usual boat stuff. Having thrusters both ends has ruined my docking/spring line skills!

I'd be on it today but I'm far away on a mountain top in southern Oregon. Should be on board next week.

Barry Farrell is still kicking last I'd heard, maybe I can track him down later this summer, we'll see. And so is the long time origional owner.

I've been lurking through a lot of threads here, tons of useful info and opinions. Trawler folk are A-OK in my log book.

Anyways, I used to mess around with noise as engineer, mainly figuring out how to design noise out of equipment that had to be really quiet. That is more effective than trying to dampen something that is noisy, but dampening/isolator design is something I fooled with too...laser measurement systems that could see the noise in the air, I remember we had to whisper when we were near it as our voices would show up on the scope, adding a few nanometers to measurement error.

Still messing with that on the galley table; recently layed out an isolation system for a 2KW generator that should reduce the drumming of the flybridge/house roof when we're below.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
On the bridge, no noise at all, just like being on a sailboat without the creaking & groaning of the standing & running rigging. In the cabin also very quite carry on conversation in normal voice. At idle, in the cabin, a few rattles.
Of course, no great trick with only 50hp @ 2000rpm and crusing speed 15hp @ 1300rpm
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
About the same as Brooksie...nearly silent on the bridge. Just enough vibration to let you know if things are right. Yesterday, I was fortunate to be on the bridge in Mango Mama (another Krogen Manatee) while using the decimeter App on an I phone. In windy conditions at 7 knots with doors open, 69 decibels. Conversation in the pilothouse was normal. Of course, the hull, decks and walls are cored. Besides the obvious space and economy, quiet cruising may be the best single asset.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Brooksie,
That's it.
The smaller they are the less noise ... but that's assuming all other things are equal and they never are.
Most of the noise comes from things like a bulkhead being like a drum. The engine shakes the hull and everything on the boat shakes. Many things on a boat will be excited (vibration wise) and shake the air and everything attached to it.

Low frequency vibrations from big and low rpm engines may be better at shaking big things like bulkheads. More noise. Noise is made up of vibration in the air consisting on intensity (as in amplitude) and frequeny or frequencies. The bigger the moving engine parts the bigger the amplitude. And the fewer the # of cylinders in the engine the lower the frequency. Think big 4 cyl engines. Worse yet a big 4cyl at idle. One could say low frequency noise is more pleasing and not so bothersome .. but have you been next to a boom box at a stoplight lately?

My engine makes a lot of noise but unlike a PU truck the engine is mostly sealed in it's compartment belowdecks and w some sound insulation it's not objectionable below 2500rpm, and we cruise at 2300. Also the engine is small (40hp) so noise wise life aboard Willy is rather pleasant .... for diesel power. The prechamber type of combustion chamber also helps.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #11

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
report from builder on all cabines 58 decibel at cruising RPM and 61 decibel on master who the the one with bulkhead with engine room
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Tug,
Is that the sound of you and your friends breathing on the bridge?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
When on the flybridge and running on plane all I hear is the sound of the water coming off the hull. At hull speed, almost no sound at all. Conversation is easy at a normal tone.

In the salon (OK, Marin....saloon) you can definitely hear the Cats when we're on plane, but I wouldn't describe it as loud. More of a "louder than gentle hum". At hull speed in the cockpit I can feel the engines more than hear them. Until I open the hatch to the engine room. Then they're much louder.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote...."I just can't imagine a pair of 3208s under the cabin not being bothersome at 16 knots. On any boat."

Well, we can't run at 16 knots as 14 is about max cruise. Noise in the cabin is not bad. Of course we have over an inch of lead foam backed insulationin the engine room. It helps lots!
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #15
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Hull speed 950rpm 7.7kts: Lower helm a gentle purr, no need to raise voices, stereo does not need to be turned up to hear. Upper helm, can't really hear the engine at all, just water and wind noises.

Moderate cruise 1900rpm 19kts: Lower helm pretty loud, mostly prop noise, some engine noise. Have to raise voices and turn up stereo. Basically standing on engine. Upper helm, hard to hear engine at all, but plenty of wind and water noise.

Fast cruise 2200rpm 23kts: Lower helm just plain loud, mostly prop noise ringing through hull. Flybridge still no engine noise, just wind and water, but even that is pretty loud.

I'm jones'n to try a modern 4b DQX wheel instead of the old skool Michigan 3b wheel I've got now. Most of the noise I have is prop noise, and a modern prop may fix that.

Or if fuel prices go up, then I go slow and that will solve the noise problem!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
Hawgw,
As I instructed, I just downloaded the logSPL app to my iPad. This is a great tool! As the people at American Tug were kind enough to send along some data for the boats we are considering I already had some numbers but...what to equate them to???

Well, I happen to own a Ram 2500 with the latest Cummins 6.7 diesel, the same family of engines that American Tug happens to use in both the 365 and the 395...
So I ran the calibration on the logSPL app and went for a drive.

What did I find in my little 3 mile loop? My truck at 40 mph makes about the same noise as the 395 does at about 8 knots. Under moderate acceleration the noise from the truck is about the same as the 395 at 15 knots...

Go figure! I'll do some more tests when I can get the truck out at speed but I'm guessing that I know what I will find.

Great app!
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I haven't brought my decibel meter out to the boat. I will say that at 7 knots, 1400rpm the water noise if the pilothouse doors are open is more than the engine. In the cabin at that speed you don't have to speak any louder than normal.

The original owner spec'd 2" sound insulation in the ER instead of the standard 1".

Looking at it another way, at 7knots the NP43 is quieter than my sailboat ever was at 7 knots under power or sail.
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I haven't brought my decibel meter out to the boat. I will say that at 7 knots, 1400rpm the water noise if the pilothouse doors are open is more than the engine. In the cabin at that speed you don't have to speak any louder than normal.

The original owner spec'd 2" sound insulation in the ER instead of the standard 1".

Looking at it another way, at 7knots the NP43 is quieter than my sailboat ever was at 7 knots under power or sail.
That is pretty quiet!
Now forgive me but what is an NP 43?
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
North Pacific 43

Think of the amount of wind and wave noise present to get a 40' monohull sailboat to 7 knots.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I'm jones'n to try a modern 4b DQX wheel instead of the old skool Michigan 3b wheel I've got now. Most of the noise I have is prop noise, and a modern prop may fix that.
Ok, now educate me on modern vs old skool and why it's quieter.