Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: How much power is enough?

Marin,

My engine may show that thats not so. My engine is used for propulsion by Vetus, Westerbeke, Klassen and probably others. At Klassen its sold more often as a generator engine. I know a guy that has one on a tractor as well. I'm quite sure all of these engines are exactly the same except for exhaust, engine mounts, radiator/fan, and perhaps other things none of which have anything to do with the ability of the engine to deliver at various speeds and loads. I've talked about this stuff on the Yahoo Groups - WBO site as well. From time to time somone mentions that they have never heard of an engine that failed from underloading. I've been on the " run em hard " side of the fence and I can name only one and that engine was on a generator. I still think proping to max power rpm is the way to go but it seems to me that the range of acceptable loading may be greater than Steve DeAntonio states. 75% load is running an engine quite hard .. hard enough so reserve power is limited. With a displacement hull that is acceptable but a bit less so with a SP boat. For those of you that have 120/380 Fords you would need to burn 4.5 gph to make the 75% load. Anyway, Marin, I think most engines are created more or less equal. A guy on the WBO site says the reverse of what you guys have been saying .. that older engines should be run light* .. that they are old and weak. He says the opposite and he is highly reguarded on the site. By the way Marin there is no such thing as " rpms ".

Eric Henning

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #22
Guru

By the way Marin there is no such thing as " rpms

Huh? I googled rpms and came up with quite a few things that claim to be called rpms. Or did you mean that he used RPMs in the incorrect context? Seems like your statement is as wrong or more so than his.

Oh, and I was unable to find reguarded in the dictionary. ("he is highly reguarded on the site.") Definition please? Is it similar to regarded?

":suggestions for: reguarded
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

1. regarded
2. regraded
3. regrouped
4. regrades
5. recorded
6. regretted
7. rock garden
8. regreeted
9. regressed
10. rearguard
11. regrade
12. regardful
13. resurged
14. regards
15. rearoused
16. regard
17. recorder
18. resorbed
19. rear guard
20. resounded "

Just stirring the pot after a long day.

Ken

2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Man... this thread has really* degraded!
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #24
Guru

Yea Yea Ken

Everybody knows I can't spell. If I dish it out I should take it. Marin's an author and we need to keep him sharp.*" rpm " = revolutions per minute as in one minute .. not minutes. It's a semantics thing .. a bit like getting motor and engine right.

Eric Henning*
Old 12-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
How much power is enough?

"It's a semantics thing .. a bit like getting motor and engine right."

You mean like motors that drive "engines of destruction" or using air to "motor" a diesel engine (turn it over without starting), or a "motor vessel" that happens to be powered by a diesel?*And how about*those devices*with pistons that*are driven by air or hydraulics*...* they are motors too.**

Let's not forget*those*small gas engines that used to be bolted to the side of Caterpillar tractor engines, they were and are still called starter motors. And what does the M in MTU and BMW stand for? What kind of vehicle do you drive? Where do you go to renew your license?

Who knows what RsPM those machines spin but, if they turn 1 revolution per minute they*turn*1 RPM. If*they*do it twice as fast*I feel comfortable saying*they*turn 2 RPMs since that is a multiple of an RPM and the whole world knows what I am talking about.

-- Edited by RickB at 22:54, 2008-12-02
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #26
Guru

Rick,

I sure wish I had a little starter engine on my prime mover. Yea .. Motor Boating and outboard motors. Just incorect words.
About the acronym ' rpm ", if " they do it twice as fast " *the expression should be " two revolutions per minute ". The plural part is addressed by yhe word " revolutions " . Note the s on the end of " revolutions ". One does not say " 3000 revolutions per minutes ". The expression needs to be inclussive of one minute only or it's meaningless as we use it. If I'm wrong .. show me and I'll change my ways.

Eric Henning
Old 12-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #27
Guru

In our neck of the woods we called them Cat starters, "pony engines."
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

"If I'm wrong .. show me and I'll change my ways."

You can call motors and engines and RPMs anything you want ... so will I and the rest of the world and we will all get the point across just fine.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

"In our neck of the woods we called them Cat starters, "pony engines."

Thanks, long after posting that I remembered we called them "pony motors."* I used to own a vintage 2U (cable blade) with one and every time I cranked that thing (and it was a crank) it scared me half to death the way it revved up with no load on it.

Do I remember correctly that it had a 2-speed reduction so you could select the cranking speed?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #30
Guru

Rick,

OK. I'll go along with the flow. Call them Rasmus Pee Motherwuckers if ya want.
I worked in a gold mine in western Alaska and we had a whole sack full of D-8 Cats .. all had the pony motors and hand cranks. Afirmative on the 2 gear coupling with clutch. Also a compression selector with 0, 1/2, and full compression. When it was real cold we'd build a fire under the oil pan and after a bit we'd*start the pony and engage it in low gear at 0 compression. After about 1/2 hour of upping the ante tward high gear and full comp one cyl after another would kick in followed by and preceded by much sputtering. We had one cable D-8. Others were all hydraulic. The cable guy was best with overburden as I recall.

Eric Henning